1st time on a real course

RaceDeck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well,
I finally got to take my GTS out on a real track , The Vegas speedway, a 2.3 mile road course that uses part of the oval (12 turns in all)....The GTS was Awesome on the course, we were hitting speeds close to 140mph with passsing allowed on all the straights....For those of you who have not taken you Viper out on a real track, you are missing out.....this is what it was made for....
The event was run by NASA "Vegas Under the Lights" HPDE format....

RSenn94RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That sounds great. That is something I have wanted to try but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

For the first time on a track, did you feel comfortable driving and did you feel pretty safe?

OP
OP
R

RaceDeck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done a few mods on the car to make me feel more comfortable...Besides the engine performance mods**, I have added Stainless Brake line, New pads, Motul 600 fluid, Short ratio shifter,Autform roll bar, 6-point harness, Sean Roe Clutch ratio adj, and remove the shims up front, Purner rims with 335's hoosiers all round....The car performed extremely well and I was very comfortable at speed and in the turns.....I only spun off once during the entire weekend ( about a 120 miles of track time)

**Engine Mods- Boral Exhaust,Hi-Flow Cats, Aluminum Flywheel, K%N with Tubes, Roe Front facia Duct Kit

Jorgen

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Ain't that fun?

I've been twice to Willow Springs, and in a total time of a few hours (maybe 3 1/2 or 4) my times have come down 6 seconds, to 1:38.1. (Stock tires, stock alignment, smoothies, K+Ns, and Corsa cat-backs)

Hardest part for me is not to "get off it", when the car pushes, but rather keep my foot in it. Goes against my natural reaction, which is to let off the gas when I feel I'm losing it. If you let off the throttle suddenly, it oversteers, and round you go! Be smooth, ride it out! (Easy to say!)

A fun turn at Willow Springs for a beginner like me, is turn 5, an up hill left-hander. If you are are the inside berm, you have a lot of room to the right in which to balance the car at speed. I like to push the throttle in third gear, and feel the back end kind of swing out to the right a little, as you set the car into a slight controlled drift. Its a slow enough turn that you can easily react with more or less throttle, before you will go just go off the track. And if you make a small mistake, there is more time to correct, since you are going slower there. Also turn 2, you can do the same experimentation in a mostly level right-hander, but that corner is about 80 mph, and I don't like the look of the runoff, so I'd rather practice slidin' the back end around with the throttle in turn 5. Now someone said there is a drainage ditch over there somewhere, so don't use this post as license to run off Turn 5!

Turn 8 is about 125 mph for me, (I heard of a mostly stock Viper doing 138, I think it was John Dearing) But I don't experiment there! I just keep it steady, and keep my butt cheeks squeezed together tightly, while holding my breath, and gripping the wheel until my knuckles turn white!

If you don't have an ACR, make sure you get the ACR oil filter adapter, which allows more oil pressure, its about $260.

Also get the "trap doors" installed in your pan. A lot of people make them, but I got mine from Joe Dozzo. You can find him with the search feature.

Make sure you change to Red Line power steering fluid, which is much less likely to catch fire, and toast your prized possesion. I paid $14 a quart, and used a little over one quart, and changed it per Henri Cone's instructions. (Search key again)

Use 15-50 weight oil (Mobil 1) at the track, especially in So Cal, where we run around at 108 degrees in the punishing desert sun.

Get the high temp brake fluid, so you don't boil it.

John Dearing gave me some Porsche air deflectors for the front control arms. They are easy to zip-tie on. This is better than putting em on rock solid, because if you have an OTE (Off Track Excursion), they won't likely get all busted up, and you can just zip 'em back on.

Next up will be ACR shocks/springs, remove sport shims, and then maybe Stop Tech brakes.

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow Vic... you're hooked
supergrin.gif
Glad to see it. Hope to see you at Viper Days.

BTW I thought Turn 5 at WSIR was a "downhill" left-hander. Turn 3 is and "uphill" left-hander.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SoCal Craig:
Wow Vic... you're hooked
supergrin.gif
Glad to see it. Hope to see you at Viper Days.

BTW I thought Turn 5 at WSIR was a "downhill" left-hander. Turn 3 is and "uphill" left-hander.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, you're right, it starts out down hill, but then as you go around it, it starts to go uphill into turn 6, no?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
Congrats Jorgen

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OOoooppss! Where's my manners?

Yes, congrats, Jorgen! Glad you had fun. Maybe someday, I too, will get out on a super speedway. That must be kuuuwel.

Does the banking of the high speed turns urge you to go faster?

OP
OP
R

RaceDeck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya, the banked turns were a lot of fun....The car felt very solid...As for high track temps (air and floor) we had temps ranging from 95 to 108 and I never overheated during our 25 minute runs. I have installed the Roe front Facia Duct kit , along with the deflectors and it really worked well, and stayed below the red. I also used Motul 600 brake fluid. I also have Royal Purple Ice additive in my coolant.
I have not changed out my power steering fluid, but I will next time.

SSpeed Racer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Jorgen!! Wish I could have been there. Love that course. How was it at night?? How was your water temp??

Vic you can put your car on a Super Speedway!!! TCRA is having an event at California Speedway in the middle of September
www.touringcarclub.com check it out. Its an awesome course I really enjoyed running there. Its the ALMS course and it has 21 turns sooooo bring brake pads with you!!!!

Craig how about you???? Ron and I will be running with the TCRA in September so......come join us!!!!

Jorgen you should come to you will really enjoy. It nice to see other Vipers owners see what this car can do. And having fun at it!!!!

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TCRA at California Speedway!!! I've driven a few "parade" laps with PCA on that course. I imagine it is kinda intimidating at speed.

September looks like a busy month... Viper Days, SpeedVentures, TCRA... wish I didn't have so much work
frown.gif

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SoCal Craig:
TCRA at California Speedway!!! I've driven a few "parade" laps with PCA on that course. I imagine it is kinda intimidating at speed.

September looks like a busy month... Viper Days, SpeedVentures, TCRA... wish I didn't have so much work
frown.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come on you wussy, stop whining and get to Cali Speedway, it's only a once a year thing. I'm doing Speed Ventures at BW 9/20 and then right down to Cali Speedway the 21st & 22nd. Make it a looooong weekend of racing. It's a longer track then LV Speedway also, 2.88 miles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery