2000 GTS Battery Problem...

wheatgerm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just changed my battery 5 weeks ago, and I didn't drive it for just 2 weeks and its dead again..??

I don't even turn on my alarm, and make sure everything is off when it's in the garage.

I know Vipers have battery problems, but I used to not drive my Viper for 5-6 weeks at a time and it would work fine...

What could the problem be now?

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That happens to mine when I forget to turn off my radar detector. I had my battery on a battery tender over the winter and just noticed a spot of acid on the garage floor so I crawled under the car and the acid boil wrecked the paint beneath the battery and bumper. Also small specs on top of the bumper...I would recommend a gell cell or one with no water type acid. I'm getting a gell cell tomorrow..Will have to repaint the bumper next winter. *****

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much charge did you give this new battery upon buying it and installing it? They come with some charge there off the shelf, but not a full charge. If you just installed it and started the car to make sure it worked, and then the car sat there for 2 weeks, then it's time to jump it off and drive it!

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave's point is correct....they always crank the car but are seldom fully charged if the inventory doesn't turn over 10-12x.

I've found that Vipers are "leaky" (...as in, electricity seems to find places to go when the car is off and sitting....a former ME with no facility with electrical engineering lexicons)....I can never seem to leave mine for more than 2 weeks without seriously draining or killing the battery.

Parked right next to my GTSs, I have an ancient Corvette and an ancient Fiat which seem to hold their charge for months. After a few battery changes, I just said screw it, bought a couple of Battery Tenders, and never had a problem again.

You'd think that "hooking up" after every ride would be a PITA, not really, the Battery Tenders have an option for direct connection to the battery leads (in the engine bay by the PCM) so you can just reach through the side vent and, via pigtail connector and hook up without even opening the hood. 50 bucks well spent.

God luck with it though, and hey if you track down the problem, post what you found....maybe they're not leaky after all and I have the same "leak" as you may find.

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just changed my battery 5 weeks ago, and I didn't drive it for just 2 weeks and its dead again..??

I don't even turn on my alarm, and make sure everything is off when it's in the garage.

I know Vipers have battery problems, but I used to not drive my Viper for 5-6 weeks at a time and it would work fine...

What could the problem be now?

Battery:
Check acid level, and check each celll with a hydrometer
Fully charge the battery.
Drain off the surface charge it now has from charging it.
Load test it- Bad-replace...Good- Move on.....

Check all battery cables....tight and clean?

Check alt. - Charging? Belt tight and not slipping when running?

Use a digital VOM to check draw and compare it to what it is supposed to be in the service manual.

That should get you off to a good start.

Last edited: