2000 GTS Yellow with Black strip pilot car

ViperMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone been trolling the site for a while as I search for a GTS to purchace.

I have come across a Viper which the owner is saying the car was a 2000 black GTS orginally but was given to a Chysler exec which didn't really want it so he had it painted yellow with black strips.

He goes on to say it when on tour to promote the 2001 yellow/blackstrips color. I drove this car today but forgot to get the VIN but should have it shortly.

Just curious what the members think of this. Possible? The guy says he was told this from the original owner who he bought it from.
Car has a little over 5K miles on it.

Last edited:

BigMrE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't answer your question directly—I simply don't have that much knowledge—but I'm curious if the answer will change your decision to buy (I suppose it could change how much you're willing to pay).

Assuming the car meets other requirements (personal ones as well as determining the car is in good shape, accident-free or fixed properly, etc.) and the price is right, would you buy the car even without the story?

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds a bit far fetched but I guess you never know. Without proper documentation of the story it will always raise questions at time of sale. Unless its a steal I would say look for one without such a story, thats just my opinion.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are buying in mind to resell, than you need documentation regarding repaint. Try contacting dodge....if you are buying to keep and have fun with it , work out a price where I would make clear sense. Make a point to the seller that a story is just a story without proper documentation.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think a repaint is a big issue. What caused the repaint may be. If it was repainted because someone didn't like the color, OK. Have it checked thoroughly for evidence of a wreck....that would be an unfortunate reason to have it painted. Personally, the story sounds a bit weird......if I'm a Chrysler exec and was given a black car....couldn't I pull some strings to trade it for a yellow one? I'm an exec remember?

OP
OP
V

ViperMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^ Yeah I did check the registry....am I missing something?
Car drives very nice as it should with a little over 5K miles on it. Paint looks great so def a proffesional job.

VIN# is 1B3ER69E3YV603392

What data plate shows the original color since the VIN doesn't show it?
Thinking about trying to go through Dodge to see what they can tell me about the car.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You are on the correct track ...go to a friendly Dodge dealer in your area and ask them to run the VIN in their system, noting that they cannot give you the name or address of prior owners due to privacy laws. Look at the first owner...and see IF it could be a subsidiary of Chrysler (sometimes HARD to spot).

Also, run your own CarFax and Autocheck...get the papers in YOUR hands and read them carefully. Don't fall for second hand info !!

There is an incomplete recall on the Steering Gear Crossmember...see below:

http://www.dodge.com/universal/webselfservice/pdf/999.pdf

OP
OP
V

ViperMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I guess I will never know because he called me today saying he had sold the car.....oh well