2001 GTS No Start

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking for some ideas. Pulled my car out of the garage, started up perfectly. Pulled out, turned off the car. Went to pull it back in about 4 hours later, will not start. Fuel pump is not coming on when I turn the key. I was thinking its the theft system, but the key fob seems to be working fine(chirps when locking doors). I was looking at the service manual, wondering if the "alarm set" light should be on when I turn the key?? I never payed attention before, just a thought. Haven't started looking at fuses, relays yet.

Thoughts?

Thanks all,

marty

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even though it started...could it be the battery?? Vipers do some pretty weird things when the batteries get low. Also, did you try turning off the alarm manually (with the key)?

OP
OP
M

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I jumped it with my other car to ensure it wasn't the battery. I did manually set the alarm with the key, no luck.

OP
OP
M

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
fuse is good, how do you check the ADS relay??

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few Q's for the OP:

how long was she sitting before you moved?
do you use a battery tender?
stock engine management?

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try synchronizing the key fob by pressing both buttons for a few seconds until the car gives "sound"...

OP
OP
M

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car sat for about 4 hours, stock pcm. I am going to put in a new battery and see if that does anything.

I synch'd the alarm with the keyfob, no difference. I am hoping that its a voltage drop due to the battery, which is probably 3-4 years old.

HPmopars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '02 did something like that before, It turned out to be a bad fuse back in the driver side rear of car next to the factory amp.:confused:

OP
OP
M

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuse is good, ordered a new fuel pump relay from Tator today, hope thats it!

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing you are describing.

It was the cam sensor....

Then it happened the same way in my Gen 3.

It was the crank sensor....

Both times the cars were running fine just hours before....:dunno:

Good Luck Marty...

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still a lot of Qs.
1. Does it crank over and not start? I assume yes but not explicitly stated.
2. If it does not crank...check clutch interrupt switch.
3. Check headlights. Quick way to check battery continuity.
4. Relays are a dime a dozen. Don't wait for one in the mail. Swap one out...use your A/C relay and give it a try.
5. If all this checks out...hook up inductuve timing light to plug wire and crank. See if ignition is working. If not...probably crank/cam position sensor.
Just a few things that come to mind.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure, but fuel pump relay may be the same style as the fan or AC relay.:dunno:

I just pulled and looked at these yesterday. The fuel pump relay (OE part#: 4848 193) doesn't match any other relay in the car.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
M

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are correct LIG, no other relay in the car is the same as the fuel pump relay. I swapped out the ASD relay with another, no luck. I am hoping the fuel pump relay does the trick. If not, I will have to keep digging.

OP
OP
M

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, new fuel pump relay arrived from Tator. Installed it, still no fuel pump when the key is turned. I don't really just want to start replacing parts hoping I find the issue. Open to ideas. Does the OBD system throw a code that I should look for(bad sensor or something?). Its hard to believe it ran fine, then 4 hours later when I tried to restart it just lost the fuel pump. I did notice when I turn the key on, the "alarm" light in the instrument cluster is NOT lit up, is that normal? I never really paid attention to it, but was reading the service manual and started wondering.

Thanks all,

marty

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dumb question, but did you re-sync the alarm? Stand next to the car and hold both buttons down, wait for the curp. Then try to start it.

'Trust'

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the car completely dead when you try to turn it, or does it try to start? If it's the former, you have a blown fuse or a short somewhere (more than likely). If it's the latter, it could be a few things, no spark, no fuel, no timing, no compression etc. We need more data.

OP
OP
M

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car turns over just fine, my assumption is no fuel because I don't hear the fuel pump when I first turn the key on, before I turn the car over. Alarm has been sync'd, new battery installed. I will be calling Tator tommorrow and see what he suggests.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Understand that you do not hear fuel pump...but have you checked at pump for voltage/current?? How about fuel pressure at the Schrader Valve on runner??
Spark??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456