2002 Exhaust Fiberglass and Paint Burns (Anyone Else?)

Glenn02RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2002 RT/10 - 9,500 miles Is this common?????????

8074Image002.jpg

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I had to venture a guess, NO it should not be comoon esp with stock exhaust. I have Borlas and unfortunately it rides right on top of the fiberglass but there is no visible damage - at least not yet. You may consider 1) finding the source of the burn - are the tips too far in? do you have some fancy jet engine propulsion system and/or 2) getting one of those exhaust surrounds made out of stainless steel to dress up/protect from further damange. Good luck!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mine has 35K miles on it and has NO marks like THAT at all.

from the pic it looks like soot

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The rear bumper is more of a flexible urethane. This can be "glued" back together from the inside. There are several 2 part adhesives that are made to repair flex bumpers. The black(soot) will probably come off with a light polish. Then I would use wax paper and clamp the outside. usually use paint sticks. if you are careful, and just coat the inside of the bumper, you may be able to squeeze the crack to make it invisible. Then if it looks good, I put another coat of the bonding agent on the inside to build it up. Follow the instructions on the "glue" and it should last for some time.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get one of the stainless steel trim plates that go around the exhaust. I think Larry Macedo sells them. 407-246-6511. That would be the easiest fix and looks great :2tu:

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
I've never seen that before. I'd fix the root problem instead of just the cosmetic damage. What kind of exhaust are you running? What is your A/F? I've got to believe your exhaust is running hotter than it should be to cause that damage, especially since your tips are a good distance from the top edge of the exhaust opening. Have you checked for any other heat damage under the car along the exhaust routing?

OP
OP
G

Glenn02RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a STOCK viper. No modifications. Wondered if anyone else had this happen.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
This is a STOCK viper. No modifications. Wondered if anyone else had this happen.

Since that is the case take it to the dealer under warranty. I've NEVER seen this before even on high HP cars. They must have changed the STOCK exhaust for '02 as my '98s did not look like those. MY .02 is something is wrong with your car even though it is STOCK.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang