2002 GTS with SR supercharger,Corsa,Stoptech,SnakeOyl susp in Switzerland

Anders Dahlquist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
We finished(ER, the mechanic did, I paid) my 2002 GTS yesterday and put it on the floor for the first time. It has now a Sean Roe Supercharger. Perfect kit with extremely well finished parts. Very good instructions and Sean very helpful across the Atlantic. Incredible: It fired up first time. It has headers bought from him with performance catalysts and 3inches Corsa exhaust. The supercharger can be installed by any DIY. The exhaust not so. One header adapted poorly, the Corsa is 3 inches but the front flange is for stock Viper(smaller diameter)needed cut and welding. The catalysts flanges also had to be cut and rewelded. All this means lots of bending and welding and special equipment. The sound of the Corsa is incredible. I had a Borla on another Viper. This is much better. Also no interior sound vibration at 1800rpm. It has a Mopar diff cooler. Watch for the exhaust pipes. The oil lines had to be rerouted because they came too close to the Corsa. It has the Stoptech 4wheel big brake system. On first try the bleeding ******* were not tight but after warming the brakes under use it stopped. Fantastic improvement over stock but I am very happy to have ABS on this car because I think braking in extreme situations can get tricky. I had a 96GTS before and after leaving the track at 120mph following lock up never trusted the car again in extreme braking situations. I know good drivers would not make such a stupid mistake... We/the mechanic installed the adjustable Snake Oyl suspension last summer and it was a vaste improvement over stock. Firm but not harsh.
Last summer I took it to a course with Porsches. It was then stone stock except for suspension. Straight line performance was the same as the 2002 TT Porsches. Stopping less good and for the rest it was the matter I think of the drivers. I outpaced them all but was in a beginners class.
In two days I will take it again to the track and hope to see some TT Porsches to see if I am faster now. The car feels lots faster than last summer but I haven't driven it for 5months and it's not the same league as my Volvo family hauler!
We have not done any dyno.
Hope this helps all you thinking about upgrades.
I will post experience from race track on monday.They have announced sunny weather, Yipee!
Anders/Geneva/Switzerland

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious.... how much (in Switzerland) is your higher octane gas & what octane (ie.93)is the price per gallon or liter. 93 octane gas in Florida is about $1.87 per gallon and starting to drop in price
Cudaman
Sapphire 2001 R/T 10 Macedo Motorsports modified engine with Roe Supercharger

OP
OP
A

Anders Dahlquist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Price for gas in Europe(98 octane) is 4$/gallon but you have to put it in a perspective for average drivers. 90% of us have less than 30 minutes to work. I need 15 minutes downtown and then park the car for the shopping for the whole day. In Switzerland you are seldom more than 60 minutes away from a ski place and in Geneva I am 20 minutes from the lake. So even with high prices, many big SUVs are driving around!
Pictures, yes but: of what? And I need to email them to somebody that can put them here as I have no access to a server to store them there.
I forgot to tell the car has the Sean Roes plexideflectors to help **** out heat from the brakes and also his kit to allow more air to the radiator( funny feeling to cut out a big chunk of plastic when your car is brand new). It never overheated when dicing with the Porsches. My 96gts did overheat.

OP
OP
A

Anders Dahlquist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okey guys, back from the track.
First our 98 octane is like yours 93. Don't ask me why.
I did a total of 450 miles, of which 50 on the track.
My commentaries are purely based on my feelings and visual experience, no data.
I am nearing the half century mark so comfort has it's value. The noise level is marginally higher but still much better than the Borla and on this one I have headers. No TT Porsches around but a couple of stock 355 ferraris and Modenas. I use to pass them and this time it was much easier. In fact one ended in a pile of tires thinking what a Viper can do he can. He couldn't(nobody hurt). A friend was there with his gen I RT/10. My previous track experience says that the difference between a 400 and a 450 hp car is surprinsingly very small on a track. I passed him easily on the straight after checking that our speed out of the last turn was the same. Conclusion: Yes, SR Supercharger and SR exhaust does make a difference. A big one. I had 6missfires during my journey. It's a problem Sean knows off and they are working on it. Fuel consumption? Who cares on a sports car but I think it's less. The car did not overheat, not one second. I used to drive(96gts) with an eye permanently on the temp gauge and after 10laps had to calm down. Not here. I even forgot to look at it. Stop tech brakes: Brake fading? Not here Sir. When you improve one aspect of a car you see what has to be done: It definitively needs slicks. I was very angry floating around on my street tires(which explains the 50miles)( I was even passed on the inside by a M3 BMW wearing slicks. What I gained on the straight he caught up in the turns. Until his engine blew just in front of me. The swiss also are wild. You are not the only ones!!). And a race harness+seat. I had that before. You can't drive fast with stock seats and seatbelts.

Difficult to write all this with so many people suffering in the world. My thoughts go to them and Saddam in a warm place.

S

SUN RA KAT

Congrats on your Roe S/C Viper & posts on how it runs. I'd love to see photos of your Roe cooling mods. At least you drive a foreign car - a Viper! :D

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>My thoughts go to them and Saddam in a warm place<<<

Hopefully, they will send him to hell...

Anders: Do you go to Anneau Du Rhin in May?

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Price for gas in Europe(98 octane) is 4$/gallon but you have to put it in a perspective for average drivers. 90% of us have less than 30 minutes to work. I need 15 minutes downtown and then park the car for the shopping for the whole day. In Switzerland you are seldom more than 60 minutes away from a ski place and in Geneva I am 20 minutes from the lake. So even with high prices, many big SUVs are driving around!
Pictures, yes but: of what? And I need to email them to somebody that can put them here as I have no access to a server to store them there.
I forgot to tell the car has the Sean Roes plexideflectors to help **** out heat from the brakes and also his kit to allow more air to the radiator( funny feeling to cut out a big chunk of plastic when your car is brand new). It never overheated when dicing with the Porsches. My 96gts did overheat.

Fantastic play by play of your race. I am happy to hear such good things about the SR super charger.

BTW the average commute in the US is actually less than the 30 minute commute in your country. But that 98 Octane sure sounds nice. :)

OP
OP
A

Anders Dahlquist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will make pictures of the SR mod to allow more air to the radiator. Give me some time. I will have to email them directly to who wants them. Don't manage to put them here.
Yes I go to l'Anneau du Rhin( who are you by the way? Only people close to that track knows it's existence!!).

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Markus, from Munich (member of the VCAS). :)
I will go to Anneau du Rhin on May 12.
Perhaps on May 31 again.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
although we have 95 and 98 octane I've heard the octane ratings between europe and USA are different. Has anyone tried 109 octane race fuel yet ?

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anders, Tell us more about your missfire. Driving conditions/rpm/throttle position etc. I want to compare what you are experiencing to a few other cars.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anders, Tell us more about your missfire. Driving conditions/rpm/throttle position etc. I want to compare what you are experiencing to a few other cars.

Is this misfire a common problem with the Roe S/C? Does anyone know what is causing it?

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Is this misfire a common problem with the Roe S/C? Does anyone know what is causing it?

Anders actually described it incorrectly. It isn't a misfire.

The VEC2 has signal filtering as the Viper has a noisy electrical system. On some cars and with some VEC2's, the crankshaft position sensor signal gets "lost" for a pulse and it takes the computer about a half second or more to find it again. It's something we first heard about two or three weeks ago. So far, about 8 out of 70 have experienced it. As Anders described it to me, it happened twice on the way to the track, twice at the track and twice on the way home (450 miles total). Other cars, like Tony's, only do it once every six or seven drives. Anders, like Tony's, happened at lower RPM and low loads. The symptom is the engine shutting off (goes silent) for about one half of a second (ignition and fuel cut off). The cure is to change the signal filtering value. Everyone who has called has been informed. It's not something that causes a problem other than the suprise if it happens. We installed a momentary switch in our crankshaft sensor wire to temporarily interrupt the signal and have tested to see what happens when it occurs. We're actively working on the update with the guys in Sweden and will be providing it to all VEC2 owners.

This new product development stuff is getting to be like work! :)

Regards,

Sean

OP
OP
A

Anders Dahlquist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Markus!
Will be nice to see you at Anneau du Rhin.
Is it true the German club and (Daimler)Chrysler will introduce the srt/10 in Europe this fall? Have you heard this?
Hello JP. Yes, I will come to south Sweden(Skane) this summer. No, not with my Viper. Have fun with yours, mine is the same colour!
I am completely convinced that the SR kit is for the buck the best improvment you can have. I have ordered the slicks, race seat and race seatbelts. I go back to the track in 4weeks and will tell you. Hope to blow off some TT Porsches this time.
I put up a report about installing ABS using Chrysler parts some months ago. Anybody has tried??
Anders/geneva/Switzerland

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anders, we will meet in Anneau Du Rhin...
I have heard that the SRT/10 shall be "presented" on Oct. 14/15., but, I am quiet unsure whether this is true.
As soon as I get a confirmation from DC (I will meet some DC guys in May in Berlin) I will tell you.

H

HansWyss

Salut Anders,
Pleased with your report of your first track experience in Djion. Sure, with Pirelli slicks
no-one would have been able to pass you!!
See you in Anneau Du Rhin, France at our annual "Viper Speed Team" Event at the end of May.
Hansruedi

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Anders, great post about your supercharger experiences.

Wish you lots of success at the track, glad you are spanking those smug Porsches!

Don't get me wrong, Porsche is a great car, its just that here in the States, the owners that I know (except PMUM) are pretty smug about owning one, which puts them on the sh*t list. Its their smug attitude that makes you want to beat them. But the car itself is a work of art, even though its not my taste.

Funny about that 360 Modena!

OP
OP
A

Anders Dahlquist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys!
It's me again. Guess what?! I'm back from the race track.
Same track(Dijon, France). Same trip. I still have the electronic problem but apparently Sean has the solution. I haven't called him yet as it only happens 1/100miles.
Now the car has slicks(Pirelli) and racing seatbelts(SnakeOyl). I have never had so much fun on a track as today. I found a Porsche TT to compete with but he decided to make a sandcastle in the sand pit before I could become serious. I got the opportunity to chase and pass 2 latest model GT3 (Clubsport(?) and also chase a GT2(previous model). No I didn't pass him but was on his tail exiting the turn to the main straight. Exactly the same performance. Not bad when thinking he has 450"real german horsepower" and only 2200pounds to move compared to my 3600 including AC and stereo full of hard rock. The Stoptech are great performance brakes but not for race. They suffer(blue colour) already during 10-15 laps stints and would not stand a race. I will try to improve the cooling( I do have front and rear scoops). The bleeding ******* are sipping and we will have them reworked.
Thanks to the ABS and slicks I brake much later, on par with that GT2.
The supercharger works great and I drove this car to the limit all the time I could. Oil is coming from the crankcase vent into the air filter. We will add a small canister to catch it up.
Overheating is almost non existent and more a matter of overexcited driver changing gears too late.
I have a couple of landmarks I use. With my 96GTS(street tires) I would enter the straight a 180 kph. The 02GTS (street tires) did 190 and now with slicks 200(=120mph). At the end of the straight I did 245 with the 96GTS and now 265 with the 02GTS and slicks. I could do more but need more practice.
Conclusion: this supercharger takes the punishment! I have now 600 supercharged street miles and 80miles extrem abuse track on it.
Advice: Mine touches at it's front on the inside of the hood. Put a metallic tape on the inside to avoid melting marks on the supercharger.
I will mount the racing seat only for track use and stop development there as further work would be gaining weight and other radical changes that will remove the comfort of a street car that was not meant to become a race car at the beginning anyway.
Have fun.
Anders.

GTSII

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Anders,

I am new to the board, and my previous attempt to answer your post seems to have failed: if two very similar posts eventually appear, that will be the reason... :confused:

At any rate, since my 96 blue and white GTS is being service/worked on by the same guys who are working on yours, I have had the pleasure of occasionally seeing your car in various stages of assembly. The Roe SC is a beautiful looking unit, and from your last post in particular it sounds like the performance is exhilirating!

I had originally planned to join you guys this past monday in Dijon, but was finally unable to keep my calendar free for the day.

It would be fun to get together some time, although I am now afraid that your car's performance will put mine (minimal mods only) to shame... :shocked:

Marcello

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Anders, Cant wait to see your car if you post pics.

The oil lines had to be rerouted because they came too close to the Corsa

My good friend helped me install a corsa at his shop and didnt notice the oil lines being in the way. Has anyone else heard of this????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi