2002 RT/10 or 2003-05 SRT/10?

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am under the impression that the Gen IIIs are easier to drive, but the heat that leaks into the cabin from underneath the car is a concern. Is this true? Is the Gen II really that much harder to drive?

Thanks!

Put it this way: Do you want a car that screams VIPER! or do you want one that invites comments like "Nice Vette"?

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never had my Gen III taken for a Vette. Way different stance and aggressive look.

My Gen III makes heads turn at every intersection; causes people to hang out the window and take pictures; makes a stop for gas into a car show. Never seen a Vette do any of these things (unless it was a 50's vintage). I had a C6 black covnvertible and got an occassional look, but that was normally from other Vette owners...

OP
OP
S

SFTREKKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George, that's a very nice silver Viper with a blue strip. I can see how it turns heads easily. The one I'm buying is a simple red. Will let you know if it turns heads, too.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you live in the San Francisco area with many hills and stop lights, you will need to know a little trick to keep your manual transmission from rolling backwards when you stop on a uphill.

When you stop at an uphill light or stop sign, simply pull up on your emergency brake. When you start back forward, preload the clutch, give it a little gas before releasing the emergency brake. This way you will not roll back a couple feet before getting going again.

Takes a bit of practice, but saves a bunch of stress.

A reminder for those driving automatic equipped other cars, be sure to leave some distance behind a car stopped on the uphill, as they may often roll back a couple feet before getting the clutch to engage : >)

Welcome, and enjoy your new Viper...

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George, that's a very nice silver Viper with a blue strip. I can see how it turns heads easily. The one I'm buying is a simple red. Will let you know if it turns heads, too.

It will turn heads. And, if you are like most of the rest of us you will get the mod bug and make a few changes to make it your own. I had that stripe put on, painted the dash bezel blue, changed the emblems from silver to blue, corsa exhuast, and basically spent more money than my wife would have liked... :)

OP
OP
S

SFTREKKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks very much on the uphill tip, Paul. I look forward to making it my second nature to drive the Viper's stick.

OP
OP
S

SFTREKKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George, I'm gonna check around on putting two grey racing strips from the front to the back. Will know from the seller in less than 7 hours if we have a deal on his Viper.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
George, I'm gonna check around on putting two grey racing strips from the front to the back. Will know from the seller in less than 7 hours if we have a deal on his Viper.
Good luck, jmop but go with the black stripes, which will blend with the roof.

OP
OP
S

SFTREKKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

My offer to the seller has expired after the 48-hour window. That means he has rejected my offer.

OP
OP
S

SFTREKKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the support, George. Seller just informed me he's selling it to a local buyer for the same money, and I'd have to pay $1,000 more to get it.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive herd this thing about gen2s being the viper and gen3s mistaken for a vette so many times..LOL..

after owning both it just simply isnt true.

Honestly the face of the viper is really the gen3s and 4s. look at the front of video games ect over the past 8 years. It has been the srts. It just all depends on who you talk to. your older car nut crowd who lusted over the viper back in 92 will gravitate to the gen1 and 2s. But back in 92 many of us were little kids or teenagers.

Your average 25-35 year old was 16-26 years old back in 02 when pics of the gen3 emerged and hit the newstands. To many in this age group the srt10 is the viper they fell in love with.

Bottom line is the srt10 is a V10 vehicle with agressive styling that stickered for 84-92k and still has a value of 37-50k 6-9 years later. It is special and drops jaws just like any other viper. I can honestly say that no matter what viper you choose. from a 92 rt10 to a 10 acr..people see the word viper and hear that v10 rumble and know that this aint no simple mass produced v8 vette. this is somthing of a treat that they may not see again soon.

OP
OP
S

SFTREKKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which one is a better buy: 03 SRT10 68k mi $31k, 04 SRT10 30k mi $37k?

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the 04. Just being a year newer adds prob $3-$5k in value then you have to take into account the 04 has 38k less miles. plus 04 has rear trunk liner, red brakes and if its a late 04 the crank sensor is not internal. And I believe late model 04 dont suffer from the failing crank bolt, I think???

jman2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
apparently those links dont work
but i pasted the stuff onto word so here it is again.

Here is another list that i found from here, might be a repeat of the stuff above though
1. '03 and '04 come with a 7/70 factory Powertrain warranty
2. '04s with build dates prior to 01/31/04 possibly had cam bolt torque issue.
3. Some '03s had valve Back-Cut issues (some of which were corrected at the factory).
4. '04s and up have a different oil pressure, and Oil Temp gauge (Wider sweeps)
5. '05s and up have a slightly different factory head unit
6. '05 and up have slightly different valve covers (vent tubes are at the front as opposed to the rear on '03s and '04s)
7. '04 and up came with a trunk mat (you already mentioned this).
8. Factory oil fill on '03s and '04s is 10W-30 and 0W-40 for '05s and up.
9. No special editions (i.e. Mamba's, VCA editions, Copperheads, Commemoratives) made in '03.
10. 2003's have different connecting rods than 04+. They are forged in 2003, and PM in 2004+. Crank balance is also different.
11. 05+ has dual knock sensors and thus a different PCM.
12. Crank Trigger location moved from the flywheel in 03-04 to the side of the block in 05-06, like the 92-02 cars.
13. damper bolt changed in 2005+ back to the 3/4" thread from 92-02, VS the smaller 13mm used in 04 that was problem-prone to backing out.
14. Main Bearings changed in 2005 to 180 degree mains from 120 in order to adress oil starvation issues at the rods. this accounts for the lower oil pressure at idle seen in 05-06 cars. THE OIL PUMP AND RELIEF DID NOT CHANGE, NOR DID THE CLEARANCES.
15. early 03 cars are problem prone to rear diff carrier shaft failure. easy fix, replace the shaft.
16. 04+ cars have red calipers.
17. timing cover changed in 05 to incorporate a wire holder for the cam sensor. older covers used a bolt-on "clip"

Not from my mouth but from all the viper guru's on here.

:)

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 03s and 4s are a lil faster than the 05 and 6s. Somthing with pcm pulling more timing for heat.

Hardly any differance but id expect to run a 12.1 at 121 mph in 70 degree weather with a 04 off a 2.0 60 foot and then the same circumstances with a 05 a 12.2 at 120 mph

As far as wich one to buy if the high milage one has a clean record and passes all your inspections then go for it! Bought mine in 07 with 26k and now its at 38k. Still the same exact car reguardless of miles

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You mean some people take the Gen III for a Corvette?

About 4-5 years ago I was in my DD driving down I-44 on my way to work. It was a bright and sunny afternoon. In my rearview mirror I saw what I thought were two yellow Vettes slowly gaining. I studied them in my rearview mirror for a minute or so, wondering if they were the newer Z06 models. They had out-of-state Michigan plates and as they eventually went by me I looked on the side and back to see if I could get any additional information about what model they were. I was totally surprised when I saw the word "VIPER" on the side.

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you ask a question like "which do you prefer... Gen 2 or Gen 3?" in a Gen 3/4 forum.... of course they're going to lean more the latter. Either way... if you want my opinion, the Gen2 RT/10 (01 or 02) would be the way to go.... or Gen4 ACR.... if it's just between the two (Gen2/3) then Gen2 all the way..... with the optional hard top. Nothing better than having the best of both worlds.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About 4-5 years ago I was in my DD driving down I-44 on my way to work. It was a bright and sunny afternoon. In my rearview mirror I saw what I thought were two yellow Vettes slowly gaining. I studied them in my rearview mirror for a minute or so, wondering if they were the newer Z06 models. They had out-of-state Michigan plates and as they eventually went by me I looked on the side and back to see if I could get any additional information about what model they were. I was totally surprised when I saw the word "VIPER" on the side.

I know...crazy right?! They've been putting the cross-hair grills on the Vette's for years...so easy to get confused! :slap:

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know...crazy right?! They've been putting the cross-hair grills on the Vette's for years...so easy to get confused! :slap:

Whenever I'm out driving with my wife and I see one I say, "Look, bowtie car". It took a long time before my wife asked what I meant by that. :rolaugh:

I've read stories in other threads on here where a Viper owner stopped by his local Dodge dealer. After walking inside one of the sales guys asked how he liked his Vette.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten