2003 Owner neeeds a little help:

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could not open or unlock my 2003 viper. I changed the battery and it still will not unlock. What do I do? My manual is inside as well. I'm not very savy when it comes to my Vipers. Can anyone help. It has to be something simple. Can you help?

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hahah.. ouch to Zen...

Jay, when did you pick up an 03? does this mean you got rid of that bastadized viper project you were working on ?

PS. Zen just provided you with the answer. FYI.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could not open or unlock my 2003 viper. I changed the battery and it still will not unlock. What do I do? My manual is inside as well. I'm not very savy when it comes to my Vipers. Can anyone help. It has to be something simple. Can you help?

Here's the procedure to program the key fob. Note that you will need at least one programed key fob to do this.

To Program a fob:
1. Using programmed fob unlock car, disarm alarm, insert key into switch and turn switch to run position
but do not start car.
2. On the programmed fob press and hold UNLOCK button for 5 to 10 seconds. While still holding the UNLOCK
button and before 10 seconds press the PANIC button and release both. A single chim will sound.
3. Within 30 seconds of the chime, press and release the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the 2nd fob at the same time.
Than press and release any button on that fob. A chime will sound to indicate successful programming.
Turn ignition switch to off.
4. Up to 4 fobs can be programmed for 1 car.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Sounds like it's in Sleep mode.

Unlock the door using the "hidden" keyhole visible when you are looking from the ground up on the drivers side door.

Use the key to turn on the vehicle, which will take it out of sleep mode.

Then all should work normally.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CALL DOUG LEVIN.i had the same issue with my srt and the keyhole mirror idea DID NOT work :confused: i called DLM and he told me how to open it within seconds
Max

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Suggest lubing the keyhole under the mirror FIRST...then, while firmly working key, gently press driver's door with your hip (may need to bounce it a couple of times).

By the way, of the 3-4 Vipers that I have opened this way for their owners, in each case the key felt as though it would break off before working...which is why I lube the keyhole our Gen III a couple of times a year.

P.S. Commonly used WD-40 is a SHORT TERM solution only, and NOT the best lock lube long term

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is in what is called theft mode when you disconnect & reconnect the battery. All you need to do is use your key on the fender lock to unlock the door. Then insert the key in the ignition and turn to ON ONLY. DO NOT START THE CAR! After about 30 seconds when the car stops making weird noises turn off and then restart the car. Very simple, I have had to do this many times after making mods to the car.

Robbie