2200 RPM Idle - HELP

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, started the Viper up tonight and it immediately jumped to about 2200 RPM where it just seems intent on staying! Anyone have any suggestions for a guy on the other side of the pond?

97 GTS SCT tune, Corsa cat back with no cats, 1.7 roller rockers.

Thanks for any help or advice!

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you looked at your throtle body for carbon bulid up? Might be worth a squirt of gumout or similar product.

OP
OP
M

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ill have a look at that now, would it be obvious to look at if there is build up?

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Take out the IAC motor and give it a good cleaning. If that doesn't work could be a bad ground. Search: Idle Hang for MANY threads on the problem. Hopefully just throttle body or IAC motor = easy fix.

PS. Is the tune new?

OP
OP
M

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont see any carbon build up, gave it a squirt anyway but no change.

Steve, not sure what you mean by "were it stock"?

OP
OP
M

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dr Taco, The tune is not new had it about a year. Ill take the IAC motor out and try to give it a clean.

Thanks for all the ideas guys, Ill let you know about the IAC motor.

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good luck. Hopefully it's just an easy fix. Air filter/IAC motor/Thottle body/bad O2 sensor/bad TPS ground, and THEN some, have been the cause in other Vipers. I don't know if it makes you feel better or worse, but it appears to be a VERY common problem. Good luck!

OP
OP
M

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks DrTaco, I have the IAC motor out do you have any suggestions for what to clean it with?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
"SCT tune, Corsa cat back with no cats, 1.7 roller rockers"...makes it not stock. The parameters of the tune are unknown to me. That said, I would look at ALL of the things mentioned above...including careful examination of the intake manifold gasket as there were many failures in this area and many repairs on 97's per a Dodge Technical Service Bulletin. Good hunting.

OP
OP
M

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok seems to be fixed....... I used the SCT Tuner to reture it to stock and all is well??? Strange one but I am pretty happy to be honest!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ok seems to be fixed....... I used the SCT Tuner to reture it to stock and all is well??? Strange one but I am pretty happy to be honest!

That sounds very suspect. Unless someone was making SCT tunes and didnt know what they were doing, that would be a tough one to cause. I would reinstall your tune, and see if the problem comes back. If it doesnt, you have something else going on. My money is on an IAC issue or an IAC wiring issue if this is not directly related to the tune file, as manifold gaskets do not fix themselves once failed... haha.

OP
OP
M

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I reinstalled the tune and it is still idling just fine. When I returned it to stock I also checked for fault codes and had one up for the IAC which I cleared. Is it possible that clearing the fault is actually what solved the problem rather than returning the tune to stock?

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok so I reinstalled the tune and it is still idling just fine. When I returned it to stock I also checked for fault codes and had one up for the IAC which I cleared. Is it possible that clearing the fault is actually what solved the problem rather than returning the tune to stock?

Glad you got everything back to working order. If driving fine now, I would leave it alone. Let it go through a driving cycle and see if the problem (and fault code) comes back. If it does, you know a good place to start trouble shooting is with that tune.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Do you recall the IAC code? This is SCREAMING an intermittent IAC wiring issue, which is most likely a wiring/connector issue.

viper stuart

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didnt realise there was another GTS in Scotland. Sent you a PM but your inbox is full. Get in touch

OP
OP
M

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok have driven the car almost 200 miles and everything seems fine, hopefully it stays this way. The mat was the first thing I checked but wasn't that.

Im sorry I dont remember the code but if it comes back I will take note of it. I am also not sure if the code was only on because I had taken the IAC out and cleaned it? Anyway it seems good now so I happy for the time being.

Viper Stuart I will PM you now.

Thanks for all the ideas guys!