3:55 or 3:73 gears

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think 3.55 are perfect in my Gen II and the equivalent gear with Gen III sized rear tires would be 3.73. BUT I have sticky rear tires.

Sleepersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had 3.73 gears on my SRT-10 vert for almost a year. I have to shift like I did when I had my 02 M3. In the winter I had hookup problems due to the runflats, but it was very manageable. Overall, I have been very pleased.

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know a guy with 3:73's that he's put in 2 SRT-10's, and he's very happy with them. I believe he mentioned he was still able to get a very high top speed (if that's something you are interested in).

I have ridden in my friend's Mustang Cobras with 3:55, and I love that gear. In my opinion, I think I'd rather have the 3:55's with the 6k redline. But in all honesty, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

(how's that for conclusive???)

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
I have 3.55 and it seems perfect to me. 3.73 may be a little bit too much.

So did you need speedo/odo calibration?? I've been hearing both sides.

I've been considering gears but the thought of calibration boxes scares me... it is a MAJOR pain in the butt...

Reaction score
Back road driving, no or little freeway cruising, plowing, trailer pulling will be better with 3:73's.

Normal freeway, street and track driving will like the stock gears.

Or if you enjoy shifting a lot pick your poison, 3:33, 3:55 or 3:73.

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
just curious....
with these gears where are the shift points at and will the car redline in 6th gear with them?
something a lot of folks forget to consider is shift points. if ur 1/4 miling, will the lower ratio make u shift another gear and will the gains more than compensate for the extra shift? how abt 0-60? how abt top end? sometimes the lower gearing will actually yield a higher top end cause it will allow u to spin the engine higher.
just food for thought.

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The lower gears will mean an added shift and more difficult for a good hole shot.

Wont it mean a faster car though? I thought one of the advantages for the Z was the better gearing. 3:42's versus 3:07's?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 3.55 and it seems perfect to me. 3.73 may be a little bit too much.

So did you need speedo/odo calibration?? I've been hearing both sides.

I've been considering gears but the thought of calibration boxes scares me... it is a MAJOR pain in the butt...

No. The speedometer uses ABS signals for speed. Recalibration is required only when changing tire diameter.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe the aftermarket should come up with a Powerglide swap kit for all you guys that think taller gearing is faster. And as far as "shifting a lot," come on it is a Viper not an SL55.

If you ever get a chance to drive an SRT-8 Jeep - DO IT! And tromp on the gas from a standing start. Traction and short gearing will make you a believer.

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been debating this swap in my GTS, and I have decided to stick with stock gearing. I have no doubt that the shorter gears WITH traction are quicker, but on the street hole shots are too tough.
It is already difficult to get standing start traction with 3.07's and in the heat of a street race with two loud cars, I don't want to try and modulate the throttle for a possibly slightly quicker jump.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
3.33s or 3.45s are the way to go, if you can find 'em. 3.73s are too high for an SRT.

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
slightly off topic but related....
is there a chart or something that has what the speed is at the top of each gear?
then we can figure out the same thing with different gears.
this info may help people decide what gear ratio they want to go with.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be very interested in that info.

From the sounds of it, 3.33 to 3.55 are the options depending on driving style and what your goal is i.e. 1/4 mile runs, street roll ons etc.

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yeah, im not sure how anyone can make an informed decision on what gears to go with without knowing this info....

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Speaking from my experience only. I gained .3 to .35 in the 1320 with 3.55 over 3.07. Have had them in 3 SRT's....similar results in all.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I have run all of the gear sets below at various power levels. IMHO;

3.55's work well with stock Gen III tires.

3.45's work well with stock Gen II tires.

3.33's work well too if you can find them.

3.07's are best for higher power levels, i.e. Paxtons, etc. and work well at road racing events.

3.73's are too low for Viper, in my opinion.

If you are mostly stock, i.e. headers, intake and a tune, you won't have any real traction issues with either 3.33, 3.45 or 3.55 gear sets, especially with sticky tires.

Dana seems to make the best gear set and sell it as a Mopar part.

No speedo recalibration needed, the speed signal comes from the wheel speed sensors as stated above. Your speedo will be off slightly if you change tire sizes from stock.

Call Unitrax for parts. They are the best.

Good luck,

Dan

Scott_in_FL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ah, beat me to it. I would be in the market for 3.33 if anyone is interested in putting together a group buy. Should be good for a couple of tenths and still not kill the top end too much. I remember moving from 3.08 to 3.27 on my old mustangs was the perfect change. My car use to annihilate all the Buick GN's, which were the hot item back in the late '80's.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have run all of the gear sets below at various power levels. IMHO;

3.55's work well with stock Gen III tires.

3.45's work well with stock Gen II tires.

3.33's work well too if you can find them.

3.07's are best for higher power levels, i.e. Paxtons, etc. and work well at road racing events.

3.73's are too low for Viper, in my opinion.

If you are mostly stock, i.e. headers, intake and a tune, you won't have any real traction issues with either 3.33, 3.45 or 3.55 gear sets, especially with sticky tires.

Dana seems to make the best gear set and sell it as a Mopar part.

No speedo recalibration needed, the speed signal comes from the wheel speed sensors as stated above. Your speedo will be off slightly if you change tire sizes from stock.

Call Unitrax for parts. They are the best.

Good luck,

Dan

Nice summary. I agree with all points.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow interesting. With 3.55's and 345/25/20's you are only going to get to 182mph in 5th and 134 in 4th as opposed to 155 with stock gears.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jandrix302