3 inch crack on hood at passenger wheel well area, Fixable?

Final GTS 286

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car was hit in this area, The crack is seen on the surface and on the under surface of the hood too. It is at the arch area of the hood.
Some body shops say they can fix it and others say it needs a new hood to be done correct.
Who is right?
Insurance is paying.
Whats the best way to fix it? Get a new hood?
Thanks.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New hood is the only answer. If you need to convince yourself raise and lower the hood a few times and keep and eye on that area. See how it can flex? Only way to make it right would be to add some kind of a brace which would look like crap.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i love sticking it to insurance guys after years of paying stupid high premiums and no claims to boot.

Don't worry, they'll stick it right back with your adjusted premiums next year.

QUICKV10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can try to get a new hood. Alot of it has to do with what your adjuster want's to do with your car, And I can gaurantee a new hood is not a option for them, but you never now.

What I would do if the adjuster hasn't looked at it yet, Is make the crack unrepairable, If you know what I mean. And even at that they will probably try to find a used one. GOOD LUCK and let me know what happens

PSilverGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would push for a new or a perfect used replacement hood. I have read some posts where the insurance company replaced the hood with a new one and had the entire car repainted to match. Remember that your Viper will be worth less with a repaired hood and there is a chance that the crack could come back in a few years and you will have to pay for the repairs. Good luck and let us know how you make out. Also, posts some pictures.

OP
OP
F

Final GTS 286

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey PSilverGTS
So you think I should get a used hood that does not need to be repainted?
What's wrong with an new hood, and have the shop only paint the hood?
Thanks

Viper TT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you could get a used hood in excellent condition and have it painted. what color is your car? i have one available if your interested.

PSilverGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey PSilverGTS
So you think I should get a used hood that does not need to be repainted?
What's wrong with an new hood, and have the shop only paint the hood?
Thanks

I think you deserve a new hood, but the insurance company will probably give you a hard time when they see it cost $16k to replace. New, used or repaired, you will have to your hood painted and that is usually frowned on if you ever go to sell your Viper.

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure what year you have but just checking some prices, there is a big difference between a gen 1 hood and a gen 2 hood.
Gen 1 new hood $6873
Gen 2 new hood $13,080

OP
OP
F

Final GTS 286

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thebigsnake: I do not want a patch job at all. I am just curious. I want to know if I get a new hood, it is as good as the original? Will some one say that this car is worth less because it does not have the original hood? Are replacent hoods all from Dodge?

Hey snake bite: Where did you get the prices for the hood? when the body shop looked up the price, it was $19,000 in the online catalog that he used.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$19,000 is right. Call JonB at www.partsrack.com He will have some excellent advice regarding new hood vs. used. I heard this advice a month ago, you don't want to miss it if you want your new hood to align correctly. You would think that means get a new vs. used right? Wrong! Call him.