300 Km/h..it's a blast but will never do again on open road

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 300 Km/h..it\'s a blast but will never do again on open road

Sorry dude that was a STUPID thing to do ..you put yourself AND your Wife AND INNOCENT PEOPLE at a risk of death.....with other cars on the road :rolleyes:
Take it to a TRACK
AND once again I ask the SAME question AGAIN...copied and pasted from another VCA ZO6 race post.......

QUESTION.......to the "Moderators" Tony and or Jay

Just "curious" as to why you can post a street race topic with explaination of the Actual Event...BUT you CANNOT post a street race video???????????

Why don't you go buy yourself a Honda Odyessy, "2BADD4U", I think it might fit you better. Also, do some research on what the autobahn is.

Got-Busa?

Enthusiast
Reaction score

sorry russ...I disagree.......supporting 200 mph runs with innocent people involved is wrong. It doesn't matter where it is.

you need to purchase a rocket and go fly away elsewhere... and use spell check

He was in GERMANY on the AUTOBAHN! It is totally legal and happens everyday over there. If more drivers in America got a clue, we could do the same thing over here safely! :2tu:

Safely?? There is no such thing. If the road has "no speed limit" you are at the mercy of the "idiots" on the road. If someone if coming up on someone doing 120, and passes how are they to expect the car, which is behind them in the passing lane is going 190!?!?!?!?!?!

No one should go that fast on a ***** road with others. My opinion. Trash my opinion agree with it, it will not change!

You need to take a trip to Germany and maybe your opinion will change. Like others have stated you have to pay a lot of money and go to several driving schools to get your license in Germany. So you don't have the typical idiots on the road that you have over here. Fast lane police, tailgaters, road ragers, etc....doesn't happen nearly like the USA. :mad:

The fast lane is for passing and passing only. It's a hole different ball game over there. If you see head lights flashing you better get the f*@k out of the way. Besides as an alert driver checking your mirrors, you will see someone coming up on you fast. They have different signals for that like leaving your left blinker on if your coming hard and fast. It sounds simple but if you haven't experienced it, you really have no idea of what I mean. I can't say or do anything else....you really need to get over there and experience it for yourself BEFORE YOU BASH IT! :2tu: :headbang:

OP
OP
V

Viperviking

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Got-Busa and others, you are right..there is a total different driving culture from the US to Europe, and other parts of the world (in Saudi and other middle east countries, the woman can't even have a drivers license..shame on them). We use a lot more signals with lights and roadsigns here, and (most) people know how to read them. Tailgating in some countries over here are the same as loosing your lisence for a few month's and a big fine. Lowbeam headlights are on all the time as drivinglights (not the law in Germany and some southern countries), and you could get a fat ticket for not having them on, but they are on for safety. Fast lane is for passing only and (most) people know this. We have more roadsigns telling you about the driving conditions and the roadcondition. Hardly ever seen roadragers, they will very quickly be taken off the road and will most likely have their driving lisence suspended for a while and have to pay a big fine. In some countries you will find that on a two lane road, the slower trafic will move over and drive on the shoulder to let faster trafic pass more safely..this ofcourse require a wider shoulder lane to travel in, and I believe it is against the law in most states in US, to drive on the shoulder. I could go on and on, but as we can see the trafic culture is quite different, and so also with other things in our countries..and a good thing would probably be to plan a vacation in another country to check all this out for ourselfs. Me and my wife travel a lot, and have learned so much more about other countries by doing so, that way it is also much easier to understand a different opinion from another culture, cause we have experienced it first hand and close up. My opinion.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You know what, Ohio is the slowest state in the union. I drive 400 miles around it every time I need to get across it. Just so I don't have to suffer through it.

And anyone who fears for their life on the autobahn doesn't have to get on the autobahn.

The rules of the road are up front.

Got-Busa?

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No crap! Of all the states I have traveled to and lived in, Ohio is at the TOP for worst drivers EVER!

Don't get me wrong there are a couple states worse but at least they do it at 80 & 90 mph. Ohio does it at 55mph or less! :eek: I know merging on the freeway is tough and all, that's why they come to a STOP on the on-ramp! :mad: :confused: :mad:

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

American drivers are SO under-educated about proper driving skills. On the typical driving test, the instructor pays more attention to 'are your hands at 10 and 2 o'clock?' than to real skills. On the autobahn, it is like paradise. Turn signals, courtesy flashes, lane disipline....

In America, people pass the "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT" signs and are clueless. It's all about attitude. People wonder why my middle finger comes up so often. 'Honey, he wants to pass us, he can just go around on the right, I OWN THIS LANE'. It's like we have a vigilante system. A guy in a Yugo can bring a Viper down to his level.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Viperviking, thanks for posting an interesting story. I personally would not go almost 190 because I know a lot of things can go wrong at that those speeds (tires). 150-160 is my personal flinch point but I like to read about people doing things I wouldn’t. Pay no mind to those people who have never driven the Autobahn and think they can cast stones at others. This is the Viper board isn't it? Maybe I jumped on the Toyota Prius board by mistake. :rolleyes:

viperama

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I can mostly agree with Viperviking.
In my country the kids visit a so called "Verkehrsgarten" with a Policeofficer every year from Kindergarten to 3rd shool class (circa age 5-9).
There you drive around on a closed road with signals, get advice how drive with your bicycle on a public road.
Later, from 4th to 6th (circa age 10-12) class we perform this on public road with real traffic.

With 14/16 years you are able to get license for a small 50ccm motorcycle which has a built in speed limit of 18/26MPH. Because of previous education you must only pass a written examination with 40 multiple choice questions about laws, road signs etc.

Finally with 18 years you can get a student Driving license on request.
With this, you can drive around togheter with somebody which owns a full license since more than 5 years and is at least 23 years old.
During this time you are NOT allowed to drive alone and put a big Sticker with a white "L" on blue background on the rear of your car.

To get your full license, you dont come around a course in 1st aid and a licensed driving shool.
There it takes 6-?? lessons in theory until the teacher enrols you for the theorytest at the goverment.
After passing this test with 60 questions you can take driving lessons.
Here it depends on the drivingskills you earned driving around with a friend/parents using your student license.

A minimum of 6 lessons of practical driving with a drivingteacher is dictated by the goverment.
It depends on your teacher when and if he enrols you for the final test.

How is it in the US?

Got-Busa?

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When you are 15 (14 some states), you have to take a drivers ed class (depending on the state). You log so many hours behind the wheel with an instructor and then you take a written test (maybe 100 questions).

Once you pass that and turn 16, you just walk into the local DMV and pay a fee and walk out with a license. If your over 18 you just take a test and pay a fee (depending on the state) and you have a license.

Motorcycles are a little different but they have no engine/cc maximum requirements like other countries. You can go buy the biggest and baddest bike without any experience at 16-years of age and have at it. They don't care as long as the dealer gets there money.

People have no idea how easy things are in the states compaired to other countries.

Don't even get me started on a FISHING license in Germany! :eek: You don't just walk into Wal-mart and pay $15 bucks.

viperama

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Scary, here you start with a 125ccm Bike at 16/18

After you have at least 1 year experience in this class AND reached age of 18 you can go for the "big license".
Procedure is almost the same as in cars.

It is almost the same in many cases...
In the USA you can step in a shop and buy a can to refill your A/C.
Here i had to pass a 2 day course and a examination to get a Swiss/EU Diploma for handling of this stuff... just to refill airconditions...

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Biggest difference between US and Germany is that on Autobahn you DRIVE AND PAY ATTENTION.

- You dont eat hamburgers while driving
- You actually USE the REARVIEW mirror
- You PAY ATTENTION on whats happening
- You dont read books or magazines while driving
- You NEVER stay on left lane longer than needed, its for passing, not for driving... (Here most retards are using left lane more than the right one...)
- Driving culture is totally different in US and Germany.

I have been driving many times on Autobahn, I feel safer there than here. And that is even with the speeds they are allowed.

My vote goes for ViperViking. :2tu: :headbang:
(And rest of you can go and eat burgers on the left lane in you hybrids :D )

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Net, we need to conclude that each region has its pros and cons :

US
+ The US certainly has the nicer roads.
+ It also has the more powerful vehicles to enjoy them
- However, the ablility to enjoy them is drastically decreased by the Police primarily being focusing on speed laws while refusing to enforce laws which are geared toward a smooth flow of traffic (left lane driving, the car being an extension of the living room : eating, drinking, reading,...)

Europe
+ Better eduction of the local drivers. However, watch out for Turkish and Eastern European truckers !
+ Good highway etiquette, especially in Germany.
- Since a couple of Eastern European countries have joined the European Community, drivers license tourism has become increasingly popular : in the course of a weekend one can obtain his/her drivers license in Poland or the Czech Republic for a fraction of the home country cost. Toss in some cheap cosmetic churgery while you're there :)
- Generally, plagued by underpowered cars, slowing down the rest of us. Avoid any places where the Dutch go during Summer. They will pull their trailers with a 1.300 cc Toyota Corolla. This is not a joke.
- The roads are usually very narrow. Most highways are only 2 lanes.
- Less cops, but more cameras : you can't run from them.

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Having driven both in the US and Europe a fair bit, the general standard of driving in the former is far worse. I think it goes down to the driving test - I couldn't believe how easy the Cali one was compared to UK

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

130 mph with my riding on the back of my yamaha V-MAX on the way down to tombstone, arizona. :headbang:

Is that GPS verified?

with my ? riding on the back. what i meant to say was my wife riding on the back. anyway, 125 mph according to my gps, lol :D

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No idea what the issue is here, as this was not a "street race" but opening the car up in the fast lane to a max determined by the comfort level of the driver. In the end, when you remove any "speed limit" arbitrarily set by a government for the purpose of generating revenue, that is the safe point. This driver held to that.

The others on the Autobahn were not "innocent people" but participants in a roadway designed for this purpose. Even the wife (although I wonder if doing this while she was asleep and therefore not able to object was the right thing to do) had to know this is an inherent risk on the Autobahn.

So no one seems to have a problem with this except one guy who's never been to Germany but is extrapolating his US driving experiences to this completely different state of mind. They've got the right idea over there, speed involved or not, and we could learn a lot.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Maybe the "Sorry dude that was a STUPID thing to do " comment also comes from not understanding the design of the Autobahn. It is flat. It is straight. There are no curves below a certain radius, there are no sudden bumps or dips, and the water drainage is great.

Oh, and speed limits (when they have them) and following at a safe distance are also common driver habits.

The way I see it, if you are in California and I'm in Florida there's little chance we'll get in an accident together. However, if you're in a mini-van on the cellphone yelling at the rugrats (who are not wearing seatbelts) smoking a cigarette and changing a CD while 20ft behind me at 80mph.....chances are good.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It is amazing how surreal those speeds are depending on the surroundings. I have been 185 a couple of times. Once in the middle of nowhere and the other a couple of weekends ago coming up I-55 just north of I-10 across the bridge leading to Hammond, LA. 185 with 2 concrete barriers on the sides was pretty weird and seemed alot faster than with nothing on my side before. I was amazed at how stable the RT can be at that speed. Wish we had an autobahn over here.

Hour and a half later I got a ticket for 82 in a 70. Oh well, I guess I had it coming.

John

98MODMTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

All I know is that I aquired 23 speeding tickets and 5 parking tickets in 2 years while living in Germany. All of which were sent to me in the mail thanks to the cameras they have EVERYWHERE!

Got-Busa?

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Net, we need to conclude that each region has its pros and cons :

US
+ The US certainly has the nicer roads.

I don't agree with you about that at all. The AUTOBAHN is almost glass it's so smooth. Plus they are designed to travel at high speeds. The US on the other hand is pretty much the opposite. You get what you get over here. It isn't designed for anything special, they just want you to keep it between the lines. :rolleyes:

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here if there's one other car ahead of you on a three lane highway, he will cut you off.
Quebec roads are also in such poor state that they're best travelled on by hovercraft preferably with the windshield removed.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Question for you guys that run at high speeds, like Germany. I may be transfered to Germany and was thinking if I got a 3.55 gear set, I would be able to use 6th for top speed. If I remember correctly 5th is limited to 211, but that is at the limiter. What do you guys think?

Got-Busa?

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you plan on really blasting, I would upgrade your brakes more than anything. I'm sure the OEM are okay but as much and as quick as you want to stop sometimes, you can never have to good of brakes!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you plan on really blasting, I would upgrade your brakes more than anything. I'm sure the OEM are okay but as much and as quick as you want to stop sometimes, you can never have to good of brakes!

Already taken care of, Stoptech installed :2tu: :2tu:

joegolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I picked up a new Porsche at the factory and drove it all over Germany for two weeks and was amazied at the courtisy of the drivers. I never went over 130 as it was a brand new car and didn't want to abuse it. But the roads systenm is great. Talking to several of the Porsche people was very interesting as to the process of getting a driving licence. I was told that it takes most drivers three months and $2000 to $2500 to get a licence and if you fail the first test you get to do the WHOLE thing over. I would love to see that in USA, but most over here think it is aright rather than a plivilage.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Question for you guys that run at high speeds, like Germany. I may be transfered to Germany and was thinking if I got a 3.55 gear set, I would be able to use 6th for top speed. If I remember correctly 5th is limited to 211, but that is at the limiter. What do you guys think?

No, with anywhere near stock HP, you max speed in 5th. 6th is just too high a gear to keep the engine in its torque range for those speeds, and when you shift, you actually will slow down. Here a link that explains it all.
Efx of gears

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry dude that was a STUPID thing to do ..you put yourself AND your Wife AND INNOCENT PEOPLE at a risk of death.....with other cars on the road :rolleyes:

Take it to a TRACK

AND once again I ask the SAME question AGAIN...copied and pasted from another VCA ZO6 race post.......

QUESTION.......to the "Moderators" Tony and or Jay

Just "curious" as to why you can post a street race topic with explaination of the Actual Event...BUT you CANNOT post a street race video???????????

2BADD 4U,

I would suggest you stop reading any post with a title that may suggest going fast. It really seems to stress you out and you can't seem to handle it!!! Honda Odyssey has a forum and they rarely discuss speed. That may be a better fit for your stress level... :2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery