3M and side sill heat....

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my car out over the weekend, and forgot just how hot the side sills get in the summer heat, with the stock exhaust set-up.... I mean "blistering" hot...Now, I just had the 3M film done on the side sills. What temps is this stuff good to? Anyone have stories of this stuff breaking down, as a result of the heat?

On my GTS, the little "C" shaped strips in the front of the side sill, were made by 3M. And they got VERY hot as well, with no issues. But with this car, my entire side sill clear bra'd. I assume if there was an issue with this, and the material. It would have been all over the net by now. Just wanted to make sure. thanks

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're good to go. I've had mine on for several years as with other members of the club. Side sills, front fascia and mirrors. No issues at all.
Patrick

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the sills covered on my 2006 and now my 2008 as well. The product is Ventureshield.

On my 2006, the material hazed a bit under the sills but in an area that was not really that visible. On my 2008, the sills seem to be a bit cooler and the hazing is really minimal with even the underside of the sill looking quite shiny. Also, I have installed the Belanger headers and exhaust on my 2008 which also reduces side sill temps a bit. Here's a pic of my car with the ventureshield on the sill with about 2300 miles on the clearbra:

2008_Viper_w_Belanger_Headers_Exhaust_6_11_08_035.JPG

Hope this helps.

/Rich

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes you will not have any problems. I have installed a lot of rocker panel kits for the Gen 3 Vipers and have never seen any problems arise do to heat. I also had it on my 2004 and it looked great after 19,000 miles of spirited driving. A good film such as ClearMask or VentureShield will not give you any problems such as yellowing or cracking. If for some reason it does, you have a lifetime warranty to cover it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang