3rd gear tranny problem

Gene's98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Help! My 1998 GTS is popping out of 3rd gear intermittently, usually while under heavy braking. The trans is less than 1 year old, and has been doing this since I first got it. I have an SVS short throw shifter installed ( and the old trans did too, and it had never had this problem). Any help? I bet its the trans, but it is essentially brand new, and the dealer has to be able to replicate the problem before changing the transmission- but it is very rare that the trans pops out of gear during little jaunts around town.

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you know how to duplicate the problem then have them take a ride with you. I've done this with many a customer.

Bill
(enjoy your soon to be new transmission)

MannyG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 95 RT tranny has the same problem. Pop's out of third gear every so often. I wonder if this is a Viper tranny flaw. My Viper tech wonders if the stupid 1st to 4th gear skip shift has anything to do with the problem (since there appears to be a way to avoid shifting into 3rd). :mad:

Mannyg

LIVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I understand this is a common problem. Mine was replaced under warranty with no questions asked.

My 98 rt/10 does it every so often. Does this mean this is a sign of a trans in need or repair/replacement?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The skip shift solenoid electrically forces an internal shift rail mechanism pin into a groove that only has a "path" between 1rst and 4th gear. It can't affect jumping out of 3rd.

The T-56 service manual lists reasons for jumping out of gear as 1) sychronizer ring worn or damaged, 2) blocking ring worn or damaged, 3) excessive countershaft end play, 4) shift fork loose or damaged fork pads.