Help! Gen 1 engine coolant leak

GreenMachine1995

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all! Brand new Viper owner and forum poster, so please be kind…and apologies in advance for my ignorance.

I recently acquired a beautiful Emerald Green ‘95 RT/10. She has been running flawlessly, but just noticed some leaking fluid (blue-ish/green color), which I suspect is engine coolant.

I had her out today for a cruise with my nephew, and we did a little “manual transmission” training for him. He has driven stick before, and he did great, but we had a few rough starts with it in a parking lot (never stalled, but popped the clutch a few times). That’s when I noticed the leaking fluid start, so I have to imagine it’s related.

I’m not super well versed in the mechanics of the car, and was hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction. I noticed a pooling of fluid right under the top of the engine (attaching pictures, but kind of hard to see).

Sincerely appreciate any thoughts/recommendations/guidance!

Attachments

• IMG_6099.jpeg
    IMG_6099.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6098.jpeg
    IMG_6098.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 13

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Looks like the thermostat housing might be leaking.
Do not remove the intake to investigate until you have
a better idea though, the intake gaskets are not
reusable and im not 100% if they are even still available.

I cant image practice shifting would have anything to do
with it, however, getting the motor nice and hot certainly
would.

ninetyfive

VCA Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Here are gasket sources from my Summer resealing. Hope it helps.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GreenMachine1995

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really appreciate the quick input and thoughts! Next task will be to find a reliable service tech in the Nashville, TN area to help with any diagnosis/repair…

ninetyfive

VCA Member
VCA Member
Reaction score

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May want to put a slightly lower Tstat in when your in there. Helps allot on slightly cooler days and when just cruising. (My car will run at 180 ish during these times)

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to oreillyauto and loan a tool the rad pressure tester. But open it there and look at it. Once I borrow it got it home and some ****** broke the hose at the fitting (a weak spot in the design) and never told the guys when they returned.

Pump it up 17-20psi and let it sit and check it every hour or 2. I let mine stay overnight.

Walter Clark

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be inclined to carefully check the coolant hoses going into and out of the thermostat housing before removing or replacing anything. You may have warmed up the engine more than its been used to and partially unseated a hose, developed a pinhole leak or just exposed a slightly loose hose clamp, all in the immediate vicinity of the thermostat housing. A heat related leak in one of the 3 gaskets for the thermostat housing might be a second area to consider but they would not be very high on my probability list. A coolant system pressure tester might pinpoint the source of the coolant you saw, but if the leak is related to heat expansion it might not unless you bring the engine fully up to temp.

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have a paper Service manual for your car? I have one for sale, they come in handy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21