# 53 Viper takes another Podium Finish....

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At our first time at the New Hampshire Speedway 1.5 mile course at Loudon NH, the # 53 Viper and Mike Hartley took 3rd place on Saturday and again on Sunday at the SCCA "Cheap Date" regional double races. This track is a tight, challenging track.
Crew Chief Joe Kallas, Viper Tech from Gary Barbera Dodgeland, worked hard both days trying to solve a rear brake caliper problem, to keep the Viper in the hunt for a podium finish. On Saturday, only five laps into qualifying, the Snake came limping in with a right rear caliper locking up. Figuring we had a poor qualifying run and being our first time at Louden ever, we were surprised our 1.14 second time grabbed us a second place spot. After Joe, worked hard to free the caliper and get us out on grid, we made a hard charge in the race to pass the leader, Mike Giglio in his 550 HP Mustang. He is the reigning second place points leader and last year points champion at Loudon. We had a good run on him but a spin from an oil spill took us out of looking for the win and also gave the points leader, Peter Bush in his Turbo Porsche enough time to pass and grab second place. Still all in all, a 3rd place in our first visit , not bad.
On Sunday, the brake gremlin appeared again and in lap 6 of qualifying we limped in again. Crew Chief Joe again worked hard to get us back on the grid, in 3rd place and we were able to hold that spot and finish the race. We did get a great pass in turn 3 and passed both cars on the up hill and for that lap had the lead. Unfortunately, their experience showed, and Pete Bush took the win and Mike Giglio second place. We finished a respectable 3rd again.
The team will be replacing calipers, prepping for this week and will be at the legendary Watkins Glen Scca double 3.5 mile road course next week.

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score
Wish I would have known you were there. Could have gotten some club members out there to cheer for you.

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike:

Sounds like a bit of a frustrating weekend, but you persevered... Mechanical gremlins are going to occur every now and then...

Best of luck next weekend at The Glen!

Rich

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
way to go Mike. How did you like Louden? I havent been ther since 93.

What kind of lap times do you expect @ the Glen?

I am driving with Nort this weekend @ the Atlanta Historics

Pete

OP
OP
M

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Rich....It was a good weekend evn though I know we could have done better. Next time we will definitely give em hell.

Pete, tell Nort I said hello! Let me know if the "Longest Night" ever materializes as I want in again. I also have a great 944 driver that could join us. Louden was fun, a tough track the first time, but not too tough. Between cars laying oil causing me to spin twice and our brake problems hanging on for third place in our first time there, we were happy. I have run HPD events many times at Watkins and had an open practice day before a SCCA event early this year, but never have been timed there. I know the two ITE vettes I left behind in practice and lucky for them I blew a tranny and never got in the race. This weekend will be much different! We should do pretty well there......hopefully!!!! Good luck running with Nort and let me know how you guys are doing.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was @ VIR labor day Weekend with the Grand Am,we were the sunday support race. Speedvision was covering the race, I won & got interviewed, it will air 11/3! Watch for it.
Pete

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang