8.5MPG

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what my viper does, but with gas prices currently at $1.81 per Ltr in the UK, It costs a bit to fill it up :)

Did some track time last year and had to fill the car up twice during the day ;)

Mark
:uk:

Not too good at sums, but I think that makes it over $6.00 a US Gallon :(

Last edited:

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get 4mpg at the track, 11.5 on the street.

Dang, I think the worst fuel mileage I've ever gotten at the track is about 5.8. Maybe you guys need to check your O2 sensors and run some fuel injector cleaner thru the tank. Or, try running a higher gear in some places.

Last edited:

PS78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RPMs go up. More rpm = less mpg.

But when engine braking's being used, the throttle's not being used to keep the RPM up (except a blip to get in lower gear maybe..)...i.e. no extra fuel?

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that sounds about right. Some of the guys posting up said it was much to low but, one thing you got to remember is that the thread OP said that he was "a bit heavy footed." If you are driving a Viper around town and you are getting on it in any kind of way, that will easily effect the gas mileage by a few MPG. Only way I see getting 12 MPG in the city is driving the car like a grandma or if it has been tuned (but you would still have to drive it without any kind of heavy foot).

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I filled her up today and looked after it for you, I had 10,97 mpg. This is normal city driving, little bits of sporting and little bits of cruisin on the highway. So heavy footed city use will certainly be worse! I'm pretty sure 8,5 isn't strange!

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't believe me? Fine. Maybe you will believe another source. Dodge itself says 11. 8.5 mpg is 30 percent low. See below...

2001 Dodge Viper Specs and Features - MSN Autos

You seem to be missing the point. I do believe that in the manner in which the EPA has established the MPG for a 2001 Viper is 11 MPG. However, roffle waffle has already stated that he drives with a heavy foot. This is a huge factor in effecting the MPG and I'm shocked that you think it has no bearing on it.

Dodge also tells me to shift to second gear @ 15 miles an hour....do I have to do the math?

LOL:lmao:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But when engine braking's being used, the throttle's not being used to keep the RPM up (except a blip to get in lower gear maybe..)...i.e. no extra fuel?

We might be counting drops here but the engine is still sucking fuel in at a higher rate than at lower RPM. And if you're rev matching (that blip) that's a relatively healthy gulp of fuel. Wrong or right, I don't care to discuss it much more because fuel mileage is the very last thing I think about when I think of Vipers. In fact, I'll even concede that I'm wrong. That's how much I care.
:drive:

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I check my mileage every time I fill up. Just habit. I average a little over 13 around town and that's in a 530 RWHP car. I cruise (granny style) most of the time when I go back and forth to work. The fuel gage starts reading E with so much gas in the tank, that I keep track of mileage so I don't have to stop every 3 days for gas. My Gen 1 got 14-15 city/24-25 highway. Its all in how you drive. After 150000 miles in vipers, stop light to stop light speeding just doesn't do anything for me anymore.

Don't give in Chuck!

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You seem to be missing the point. I do believe that in the manner in which the EPA has established the MPG for a 2001 Viper is 11 MPG. However, roffle waffle has already stated that he drives with a heavy foot. This is a huge factor in effecting the MPG and I'm shocked that you think it has no bearing on it.

LOL:lmao:

No...you seem to be missing the point. Many people who drive their car AT THE TRACK, are only getting marginally worse mileage. At the track I am sure that people are not using a skip shift. City driving is not nearly as bad as at the track. Driving with a heavy foot can hurt, sure. That is obvious.

Others have stated that maybe the O2 sensors should be checked. It is a valid concern and should be explored. The poster was concerned if it was normal. Some have said no, out of concern for him and his car. We hope that all goes well. In their experience, it is not normal. Simply hooking up a scanner will tell him more. Takes all of 30 seconds. He should do it.

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe summer gas already :dunno:

and that is about right in my experience. without some highway miles (5th and 6th gear) sounds about right

ain't life grand

heavy footed, city driving will net that mpg.

Nick

You do a lot better than me. I however do drive it like I stole it daily.

I get 4mpg at the track, 11.5 on the street.

Higway up to 20MPG, track around 3-5MPG.
And thats with blower...
Without the blower I got 23MPG from Myrtle Beach to Dallas, doing 55-65 on 6th.

There are so many variables, I don't think one can discern issues between 8.5 and 9.5 mpg as so many things can contribute to a +/- 10% change. I get about 9 in town so you're not too far off.

Always a good idea to put it on a dyno and check the A/F....can't hurt.

8.5mpg?

Lucky dog....

sounds normal to me...

Looks like it's right on with the in town and heavy foot factor!

I was getting 2.2 mpg at Willow Springs in my 96.

No...you seem to be missing the point. Many people who drive their car AT THE TRACK, are only getting marginally worse mileage. At the track I am sure that people are not using a skip shift. City driving is not nearly as bad as at the track. Driving with a heavy foot can hurt, sure. That is obvious.

Man you are entertaining with your banter:lmao: Take some time to look at all the quotes that others have posted up in this thread. 2.2-5MPG at the track is not "marginally worse mileage." Aside from all the other people in this thread that have posted up that this is accurate with a HEAVY FOOT, from my own experience, I get about 9MPG if I am doing spirited driving. My O2's are less than a year old and less than 3000 miles. Sure the O2's can effect the mileage but if the guy has already stated that he drives with a heavy foot...I think that is the reason why he is getting 2.5 MPG less. By your own admission, driving ith a heavy foot can hurt. You also stated that the skip shift isn't used at the track...do you think it's used when driving with a heavy foot? No, it's not.

His mileage is just fine for the type of driving he is doing.

PS78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you guys come up with your mpg urban figures?...do you fill up to full after every drive?...or actually go a whole tank just driving around town?? I could only give an average 16/17mpg figure for all drive types as thats what i do before putting in another 50ltrs...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you guys come up with your mpg urban figures?...do you fill up to full after every drive?...or actually go a whole tank just driving around town?? I could only give an average 16/17mpg figure for all drive types as thats what i do before putting in another 50ltrs...

After many years I finally was marginally curious so I ran about four successive tankfulls and averaged the miles and came up with 11.5. Actually I think it was 11.9.

The track is a little easier. Sebring is 3.7 miles and it cost me about a little less than a gallon a lap. Which is pretty close to the CC rating.

OP
OP
R

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score

filled up to full tank, reset trip meter, drove all city, filled up full tank again. total miles traveled/ total gallons to fill back up to full

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We might be counting drops here but the engine is still sucking fuel in at a higher rate than at lower RPM. And if you're rev matching (that blip) that's a relatively healthy gulp of fuel. Wrong or right, I don't care to discuss it much more because fuel mileage is the very last thing I think about when I think of Vipers. In fact, I'll even concede that I'm wrong. That's how much I care.

During engine braking, some cars will cut off fuel altogether. I know that Audi does this, don't know about the viper. Considering the pops on downshifting, I doubt it cuts it off completely.

This thread just amazes me. We all live in different areas with different traffic patterns, different mixes of fuel (oxygenated, MTBE, blah blah blah), different driving styles, and different altitudes. Getting 8.5 mpg is the city for a viper is not that bad if you are dealing with traffic in a congested city. Sit and idle at every damn light in gridlock and you are going to get lucky to hit 8.5. For you country bumpkins that get stuck behind a tractor and consider that traffic, you are going to get better mpg. Congrats, I am happy for you. There is nothing wrong with your car, you are in a 8L V-10. Your city mpg will be in the single digits a lot. I did notice though that my Gen II got slightly better mpg than my Gen I and my Gen IV gets the best mpg out of all of them. For this I pat myself on the back and can look the prius drivers dead in the eye, unashamed, knowing that I am saving the planet. Get back to driving and not this embarrassing windbreaker discussion.

Last edited:

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Using Imperial gallons, the top end converts to 10.8 MPG US. Very close to what Dodge says that you should get for city driving. Sounds correct.

:lmao: It still cracks me up that you think that the EPA MPG is the end all and that if someone is getting anything else, there MUST be a problem with their car. You should go look up how the EPA calculates their pre-2007 MPG. Again, you need to realize, like numerous people have said in this thread, that there are so many factors that go into what each person will get as far as city MPG in a Viper. The most important factor is how you drive the car. Telling people they should get what Dodge/EPA says is bad info. I don't get 11 MPG because I don't drive my Viper like a grandma and neither does so many other people. Besides the driving factor, there is also, climate, wind, tire pressure, altitude, and traffic.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guess I have a light foot....

My gen 1 gets better mileage than any other car I own!!

eliems

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Using Imperial gallons, the top end converts to 10.8 MPG US. Very close to what Dodge says that you should get for city driving. Sounds correct.

Actually, The imperial gallon is bigger and so I would get less miles per US gallon.

I am a lttle heavy on the go pedal!