8 years ago tomorrow.....RIP PMUM

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tomorrow Oct. 2nd will be 8 years since that tragic aviation accident in 2003 that took the life of someone I was proud to call a good friend, Paul Mumford. God has stuck a cruel blow by taking someone who was not only a world class race driver but one of the nicest guys I've ever met, a man who had everything to live for and so much going for him, his life was tragically cut short.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kinda ironic and sad, I flew back with Paul in the very plane that crashed 3 weeks later and during the flight Paul told me he was going to ask his girlfriend (pictured) Bridgette to marry him. He never had the chance to ask like I said 3 weeks later was the tragedy. At the Memorial I told Bridgette what he told me, she had no idea, I'm not sure if it was a good or a bad thing but I figured she needed to know how much she meant to him.

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RIP.

his posting was epic

Classic PMUM:

icon1.gif
Re: PMUM in hostile territory
Thanks for the support, encouragement and pointers guys. Boy it was close, but I managed to make it out of 'Necklahoma in one piece. If it were not for all of the months studying how you 'necks on this board live your life, I might not have made it. I really think what saved my "hide" (look at me using my new found 'neck lingo) was trying to fit in as a 'neck.

I noticed when I got gas at one of the Loves/Subway Mega Stations on every single exit in Texas that I was in big trouble. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is more epic than watching a 'neck family go out for a "'neck family dinner" at the local Subway at the gas station. The look of joy on the face of the mini 'necks was truly priceless as they chewed on their grinder whilst mom was doing the family grocery shopping and dad was shopping for new clothes (big hats with funny jokes on them, T-shirts with funny jokes on them, etc). I had no idea that the Loves/Subway Mega Station was the lifesource of all 'necks.

I needed help and I needed it fast! I kept thinking, "How can I be more like BShillinger and of course the leader of all things 'neck, Serious Eric?" I was running short on ideas and I was scared. A phonecall to Kid was moderately helpful. He assured me that I would be OK and that I would have to not only look like a 'neck, but act like one and worst yet, think like one. I was panicked, scared and seemingly had nowhere to go. I considered many-a-time turning around and not doling out my yearly thrAshing on the JV squad, but knew I must press on and do something. But what?

Then it came to me! I need to go to the source of all things 'neck to figure out how to make it through Texas. So I called Jeff Ellison and he gave me some fine pointers. The first thing I did was attempt to transform my vehicle into a 'neck ride. After I replaced the gas cap in the RV with a rag, replaced the gas pedal with one of the bare foot variety, replaced the window with a hefty bag and duct tape, the mudflaps with the Yosemite Sam variety, put a gun rack in the back window, and finally painted the rig primer gray. Now the rig was close to fitting in but what about me?

I found a 2 pound "Bubba" belt buckle, flannel shirt, overalls, thermal underwear, "I'm with Stupid" big foam hat, "Wine me, dine me, 69 me" t-shirt and put them all on. Something was still missing. Then it came to me! I was the only guy in the state that didn't have a toothpick hanging out of my mouth. So I took care of that along with all of the other miscellaneous things to help fit in. The best part was that I got it all at the Loves/Subway Mega 'Neck Center.

Once I got to the track I was sure to pit right next to Jeff Ellison and lined up the trailers next to each other to form a double-wide. We then found some cinder blocks and put the trailers up on. Once that was done, 7 dogs came out of nowhere to sleep under the trailer.

I would like to thank the 'necks everywhere for helping me get through this hostile land. Finally, for one brief moment, I got to be a 'neck!

WAR 'NECKS!!!!!!!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. 8 years. I remember like it was yesterday. The next race was Atlanta and I was gonna meet you and PMUM for the first time.

RIP PMUM.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seeing PMUM's post....

That's funny $h1t....!

I missed him... totally. RIP to a man who could have been a writer as well as a friend to socal. Had that gone on, I'd have kept reading.....

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
God Speed Paul (Money) Mumford.

I thought I was pretty fast in a Viper till one day Paul passed me in turn 8 at Willow. He went past me a full 20 mph faster than I was going, while he was below me in the corner, off the line, and waved to me as he went by.

Boy, could that guy drive.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another Mumford story... I don't know the writer.....but what a guy Paul must have been!

http://www.nsxfiles.com/mclaren.htm

We went to Mumford's funeral service, buzzing up in the F-cars to the Victorville area. About 200+ people were there. The eulogies for Mumford were very touching, as racers, business partners, and employees told their stories about how Mumford played such a positive influence in their lives. One of the more touching stories was the guy that stood up and said at one time, he was a down-on-his-luck sales person until he met Mumford. The guy said his life was going downhill, he was bankrupt, his business failed, he sucked as a sales person, and then he met Mumford. Mumford was apparently hiring people for his insurance office, and took this guy under his wing, helped the guy, and he eventually became one of Paul's best sales people. Other people told stories about how when they were kids, Paul would do stuff like get sleeping bags and turn them into toys for racing, and they would put the sleeping bags at the top of the stairs, get in them, and race down the stairs, sliding down in the sleeping bags. Another person said that Paul was at a business meeting in Hawaii, and when he heard that there was a big slide contest, he practiced for hours on the hotel slide, complete with someone timing how long it took him to traverse the slide, so he could maximize his "line" through the slide. And yes, he won the event!After the burial, Wayne and I were among the last people to leave, as it takes about 10 minutes to take the top off the F355 and put it back behind the seats, and for me to change into my short pants and tank top. Mumford is buried closed to a big tree, and Wayne pulls up and stops in the street parallel to Mumford's grave, and signals me to wait. What the hell? I then hear Wayne rev the 360 Modena to 8000 RPMs, and he dumps the clutch, leaving a 50 foot long burn out. Wayne calls me on the two-way radio, and says, "Paul would have liked that!".Brett and BP stopped by the house after the funeral, and Brett had one of the best racing stories that I heard about Mumford. It had to do with the Sport Compact Car Ultimate Street Car Challenge. It goes like this:Last year, one of the Brembo guys was telling me that the editors of Sport Compact Car were looking for entries for the Ultimate Street Car Challenge. For those of you who do not read the magazine, it is geared more toward high performance import cars that go in a straight line. Anyways, the Brembo guy heard about the event from people at the magazine, and they mentioned they got a Viper driver entered to mix it up with the import guys. The Brembo guy asked, "Oh yeah, who did you get?". When the magazine guy replied, "Some guy named Mumford", the Brembo guy started cracking up laughing, implying, "You morons, if you want an "import car" to win your "import" event, you can't let MUMFORD enter in the event! He's gonna whup on everyone!". Anyways, we thought that would be the end of that, and they would boot Mumford out of the event, but apparently they are pretty sporting over there at Sport Compact Car, and decided to let Mumford run his Viper ACR street car that he has been whupping ass with on the race track. I guess maybe they thought it was a "dinosaur" car with a old-style, non-VTEC pushrod engine.Sport Compact Car Magazine had a bunch of different categories to score the cars on, (some of them *****) like price, skid pad, braking, burnouts, quarter mile, how comfortable the car is, and the all important lap time. For laptime, they used a variation of the "short course" at California Speedway, meaning no high banked turns, they just used the infield section.So Mumford's phone conversation with his friend Brett went something like this right after the California Speedway track event:===========Brett: How's it going so far?PMUM: It's hot as hell and everybody is taking a break after one hot lap.Brett: That *****. How did you do?PMUM: Well, before anybody went out for a run this guy that is driving the Skyline comes over for a little chat about the Viper. He tells me he's an IMSA driver, or used to be, and they hired him to drive the car. I told him "That doesn't seem fair". He said, �you could have hired me to drive your car". I told him "nah, I've done a couple weekend events, lucked out and won a trophy or two and just like to drive my own car". He said, "Well, good luck", and walked away.Brett: (laughing) I know where this is going. PMUM: Oh yeah, game on! So the Supra and this IMSA guy in the Skyline are going at it pretty hard. They keep exchanging fastest lap times until the Skyline comes in with a time that's about a tenth of a second faster than the Supra at about a 1:22 flat or just a shade under, AND it was his last run. I swear Brett, it looked like they had just won the Indianapolis 500. They were high-fivin', jumping all around. Now keep in mind, I haven't even put a wheel on the track yet.Brett: This is getting better by the minute, so what did you lay on them?PMUM: Well if that guy put down a lap time really close to 1:22 flat, like 1:21.9 what do I need to run to make a point? So everybody says, "OK, that guy really gave us a beat down".Brett: Uh.....well if the Skyline guy laid down a smidge under 1:22, I would say a good "Mumford beat down" would be about a 1:19.5. That's usually what you do to the next fastest guy, 2 to 2.5 seconds. That would be the "end of story, thanks for playing."PMUM: Ya' know, that's exactly the number I had in mind. A high 1:19 would pretty much let them know who's boss.Brett: OK Mumford, what did you lay on them?PMUM: Try a 1:16 flat on for size.Brett: You ran a 1:16 flat? Holy ****! That's ****ing hilarious! What was the mood in the Indy pit after that?PMUM: OH, I'm not done, it gets better. I finish my ONE lap and I'm living the RV lifestyle, because it's so damn hot outside, and I hear a knock on the door. One of the USCC guys tells me that they think they have a timing issue.Brett: What? That's jacked up! PMUM: You'll like this. I asked him, "What was my lap time?" He told me they had two watches on me at a 1:16. I told "Them that sounds about right", knowing that is exactly what I ran. He said, "Paul, that's over 5 seconds faster than the second place guy, and he's no slouch." Brett: He is now�PMUM: Yeah right, but apparently they needed more than one lap and two watches. So I said to the guy, "Do you want me to go back out there and do it again, despite the fact that it's now 110 out there instead of 100?" He told me that I didn't have to if I didn't want to because it was so hot, and he didn't want me to have to beat-up my car any more. I told him, "No. I get the feeling you want me to run again". So I did. I told them to get the stop watches ready, and by this time everybody that owns a watch is waiting for me to run again.Brett: (laughing) OK, I'm sitting down now.PMUM: I laid the wood them with a little 1:15.6. Thank you very much.Brett: That a boy! The import world knows who you are now, huh? Was that all the car had?PMUM: Oh yeah, I could have run the rest of the day and probably not squeezed any more out of it, BUT as I pulled into the pit I told them I wanted to go once more because I thought I had another half second in there somewhere. They said, "That's enough Mumford. Park your car, it's over"=======Now THAT is a classic story, and just another reason why Mumford is our hero. He did a little sandbagging up front, and then ends up hitting them with a stick so hard and so big that they don't know what the hell happened to them! A couple more links about the event is at:Sport Compact Car Magazine - USCC II- Road Course ResultsSport Compact Car Magazine - Profile: 2001 Dodge Viper ACRSport Compact Car Magazine - The Winner, Paul Mumford

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I miss Paul alot and back in the days when " Smacktalking " was an art instead of seeing how many " F bombs" you could drop, Paul used wit and sarcasm to out the complainers. His sense of humor lives on and those of us that loved him knew a generous soul who would help anyone become a faster driver and he would welcome the competition.

Funny side note on the Necklahoma event, as Paul popped up at Laguna Seca with his beer drinking buddies, a small trailer and truck ( compared to the rest of the participants at the World Challenge Race ) , I am sure many of the well heeled teams wondered who the rube was with the group of good ole boys . Just a group of friends and a great attitude to match his skill, Paul went out and won the first Pro race for the Comp Coupe. It was only a few weeks later he had his tragic accident. There are still plenty of friends of Paul's who still run race cars around the Country with stickers on their machines that state PMUM lives, etc.

Great ambassador for the Viper World and though gone and missed , he will not be forgotten. Thanks SoCal for posting about Paul, I am sure he is up there smiling every time a Snake takes to the track!!!

Bill P
Woodhouse

Tenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny side note on the Necklahoma event, as Paul popped up at Laguna Seca with his beer drinking buddies, a small trailer and truck ( compared to the rest of the participants at the World Challenge Race ) , I am sure many of the well heeled teams wondered who the rube was with the group of good ole boys . Just a group of friends and a great attitude to match his skill, Paul went out and won the first Pro race for the Comp Coupe.

Bill P
Woodhouse

Recall Peter Brock (of the Daytona Coupe Peter Brock's) wrote a cool story about that one - how a guy showing up w/his own car on an open trailer with a box of tools and taking it to the factories was at best a throwback to the glory days, and nigh impossible in current era of high-dollar manufacturer efforts.

Think Chrysler may've been backing another effort that afternoon, and recall Paul calling and mentioning they brought him over a folding chair after he put up a decent #, or two. Said he and Eric had been sitting on the tailgate prior. Paul had loaned his enclosed trailer to a friend of ours that weekend (to your point about the feller's generosity, Bill!). Paul and Eric's transportation that day could likely have been parked inside the Audi team's catering rig w/room to spare.

Legendary.

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recall Peter Brock (of the Daytona Coupe Peter Brock's) wrote a cool story about that one - how a guy showing up w/his own car on an open trailer with a box of tools and taking it to the factories was at best a throwback to the glory days, and nigh impossible in current era of high-dollar manufacturer efforts.

Think Chrysler may've been backing another effort that afternoon, and recall Paul calling and mentioning they brought him over a folding chair after he put up a decent #, or two. Said he and Eric had been sitting on the tailgate prior. Paul had loaned his enclosed trailer to a friend of ours that weekend (to your point about the feller's generosity, Bill!). Paul and Eric's transportation that day could likely have been parked inside the Audi team's catering rig w/room to spare.

Legendary.

Audi's team was unbelievable they had 3 full rigs set up like circled covered wagons, they had tables set up to accommodate 50 people, brought waiters and hostesses it was surreal, I've never seen so much pomp and circumstance in a track's cold pit ever.