87 octane in a gen 4

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a great drive today but i was in a isolated area...the one exxon station i was counting on was down so i had to stop in Fouke , Arkansas...All they had was diesel and 87 octane.. i thought i had just killed my engine but the 87 ran fine .. really no difference from 93

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to go with 89 octane once and was scared to death. I just made sure I didn't push it. Lol

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the 05 cars and later have knock sensors that will retard the spark in-case of bad gas, but I would not make it a habit of using the cheap stuff.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
As long as you dont go heavy on the throttle, you cant build enough cylinder pressure to cause a problem with detonation/ping. Even with low octane ratings, and it would be tough to have any "normal" hot spots in the cylinders cause much of an issue when taking it easy so far as pre-ignition is concerned. [No, they are NOT the same thing!]

Just make sure you start adding some 93 as soon as you can. I recommend not filling the tank with more than 1/2 87, since you can then use the other half tank of 93 to balance it out close to 91... assuming you have 93/94 in your area. Then just run the tank dry while at cruise speeds, and fill her up with your normal blend.

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After attending a few of the Viper Tech sessions around here, I learned that the best performance you can get out of your engine is to use the lowest possible octane rating that does not make your engine ping under load. So if your engine does not ping using 89 octane, you are getting more performance than if you had 93 octane in your tank. It cracks me up to go to this one 76 gas station around here, that has a 100 octane pump, with a price of $6.10 per gallon, and see all kinds of guys filling up their Mustangs, or Harleys. They think more is better. I explain to them that they are actually de-tuning their cars by buying the expensive gas. I usually have to add about 3 gallons to every tank full, to get my octane up to 93 so I don't get any pinging under load. Our premium octane out here is only 91 octane, and with my mods, it does not cut it. So don't be so afraid to experiment with lower octane gas.

VENOMIS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What He said...Oh and you forgot to mention why that is. The reason is the higher the octane, the slower the burn and that it why it can be compressed more before detonation. So higher octane does not make more power, it actually makes less, but you can put more air/fuel in the cylinder before detonation. Therefore that is why you do make more power in a high compression or boosted engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62