911 4s or viper

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It really all just boils down to what you're comfortable with and what suits your personality. What ***** is that you're having a hard time getting to test drive the Viper to see if it fits the bill. Maybe some generous owner of a new one in your area might be nice enough to offer you a ride in theirs? From what I've read so far I'd say it seems like the Porsche would probably be the better fit for you, but I think it might be a little bland and lack some personality. A Viper might not be the fastest car on the road, but when you drive one you certainly feel like it is. It's just a different experience from a lot of other performance cars.

Personally, I daily drive my stock gen 3 rain or shine nearly year round and don't mind one bit. If it snows I'll leave it in the garage, but as soon as the snow is off the roads I'm back on them. The car is almost entirely composite, aluminum, stainless, and highly coated and corrosion resistant steel (frame is galvanized and e-coated from what I understand). I wash it generally every weekend or two as well, so whatever salt might linger is usually rinsed off farily quick. 10k miles in 7 months of ownership and it looks and drives the same as the day I bought it (minus some extra wear on the front fascia). People think I'm crazy, but it just doesn't bother me driving it in all conditions. I've had it in torrential rain more than once and it's never given me any trouble. I've driven it in 20 degree weather without any issues either. About the only thing I ever carry in the car is myself to work, so storage space is a non issue. Even on a weekend trip I'll just throw a duffle bag in the trunk with a change of clothes and I'm good to go. I think the car is plenty comfortable and easy to drive. Getting in and out is a little different compared to other cars, but not a deal breaker by any means for me. Everyone is different and will have different tastes and requirement in their cars. Some of us are lucky enough to be able to have a few different ones for different occasions. Others make due with just one. Find what stirs your passion and have fun with it, whatever it may be. The only one who can decide what car is the right one is you.

What tires are on your car that you drove it in 20 degree weather? That's pretty much as cold as it gets here.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use photobucket, just copy link and past it here. Sounds like a great car you have right now! Here is my 03

You must be registered for see images attach

Hmmmm alright then let me wait to post pics. Right now my car come thursday will be having red calipers put on and the carbon fiber HRE center caps and some other stuff done to make it look even nicer and then I'll take some pics after I wash it and post a bunch up in this thread.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper has the Outrageous factor that only a Porsche like the Carrera GT can match. I honestly think the Cayman is a much better looking car than the 911.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper has the Outrageous factor that only a Porsche like the Carrera GT can match. I honestly think the Cayman is a much better looking car than the 911.

Me too with the exception of the turbo S and GT3. But the cayman has horrible performance.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oooo I just noticed the GT3 is like the same price.

What do you guys think about that? The GT3 I optioned out was like 158k and I probably could get 5-10k off that one bring it to mid 140s to low 150s.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you've ever driven a Cayman S you wouldn't say that. Yes it has much less power than the others but handles like a dream.

I have. And of course it handles like a dream because it has no power to push it. That is like saying a BRZ handles like a dream because again it has no power. The GT3 handles like a dream and has the power to push it faster than my shelby.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
What tires are on your car that you drove it in 20 degree weather? That's pretty much as cold as it gets here.

I bought the car with a new set of Pilot Super Sports installed. Sure they might not get amazing traction when it's cold, but I don't really expect them to. I just don't push it real hard if the conditions aren't appropriate. They actually seem to get some pretty impressive grip even when wet though. I've been really impressed.

Voice of Reason

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never driven a single Porsche so my opinion is only based on visuals. To me every Porsche looks exactly the same, just add a few extra vents or ground effects or wings and they're slightly different models. Every time I see one I say 'Eh, a Porsche', not 'OMG It's a GT3'. I have a feeling my indifference with Porsche is how the general public feels about them. I don't get that sense of 'who cares' from the general public about Vipers through. I've had mine for a month and in that month I've had my picture taken more than in the previous 5 years combined. Everyone is curious about it. I've had 75 year olds driving a Kia at a stop light ask me what it was. I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen with other cars unless they are European exotics.

So if you want to blend in with everyone buy a Porsche. Or heck, save yourself a ton and buy a GTR and mod it to be the fastest thing on the planet and save money over the Porsche and still blend in.

Or if you want a fast fun car that everyone notices get the Viper.

datruodb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a cayman S with minor mods to it, and now have my gen 3. So much happier with my gen 3 than my Cayman. I do realize that the Cayman S isn't an S4, but it's somewhat comparable. That being said, I drive my Tundra as my DD and the Viper on the weekends. I have a friend with an S4 cab and it's fun, but it's not scary fun! The day I took delivery of my Cayman S I drove it home getting into it and having fun. The day I took delivery of my Viper, I drove it home doing the speed limit and parked it in the garage thinking "What did I just do?"

If that doesn't give you perspective I don't know what will.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never driven a single Porsche so my opinion is only based on visuals. To me every Porsche looks exactly the same, just add a few extra vents or ground effects or wings and they're slightly different models. Every time I see one I say 'Eh, a Porsche', not 'OMG It's a GT3'. I have a feeling my indifference with Porsche is how the general public feels about them. I don't get that sense of 'who cares' from the general public about Vipers through. I've had mine for a month and in that month I've had my picture taken more than in the previous 5 years combined. Everyone is curious about it. I've had 75 year olds driving a Kia at a stop light ask me what it was. I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen with other cars unless they are European exotics.

So if you want to blend in with everyone buy a Porsche. Or heck, save yourself a ton and buy a GTR and mod it to be the fastest thing on the planet and save money over the Porsche and still blend in.

Or if you want a fast fun car that everyone notices get the Viper.

Ugh don't talk to me about the GTR. I use to love that car but forget it. It sounds like a tin can now. When it starts up it sounds like its about to die. When you rev the engine and it gets close to 1k it almost dies. The exhaust sounds boring. Ughhh Nissan killed my love for that car with whatever they have done to it for 2013. The last 2010 I drove a year ago didn't have these problems.

Plus I want a real sports car. And I just said in the above post it is not just about performance. The key is to have performance, luxuriousness, and comfort/refinement. Need that happy medium.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a cayman S with minor mods to it, and now have my gen 3. So much happier with my gen 3 than my Cayman. I do realize that the Cayman S isn't an S4, but it's somewhat comparable. That being said, I drive my Tundra as my DD and the Viper on the weekends. I have a friend with an S4 cab and it's fun, but it's not scary fun! The day I took delivery of my Cayman S I drove it home getting into it and having fun. The day I took delivery of my Viper, I drove it home doing the speed limit and parked it in the garage thinking "What did I just do?"

If that doesn't give you perspective I don't know what will.

lol at "what did I just do?". Why were you scared to get on it?

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GT3 all the way. I was wondering when you were going to mention it. That to me is a fantastic car....

Richie7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The viper will cause a commotion wherever you go. People go crazy when they see it. When you drive down the street people will be taking pictures, hanging out the windows of cars filming you. Most people love the viper but you will get some nasty jelous comments from time to time. If you take it to a store or restaurant you will sit there stressing the whole time that someone is messing with your car, not enjoyable for me. For a weekend cruise or track day the viper wins in the fun factor on every level. Anything more the porche will blend in a lot more and be more practical, but is still an awesome car and a ton of fun. This is my experience from 5 years and 2 vipers. Good luck on your decision.
Rich
2008 ACR

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The viper will cause a commotion wherever you go. People go crazy when they see it. When you drive down the street people will be taking pictures, hanging out the windows of cars filming you. Most people love the viper but you will get some nasty jelous comments from time to time. If you take it to a store or restaurant you will sit there stressing the whole time that someone is messing with your car, not enjoyable for me. For a weekend cruise or track day the viper wins in the fun factor on every level. Anything more the porche will blend in a lot more and be more practical, but is still an awesome car and a ton of fun. This is my experience from 5 years and 2 vipers. Good luck on your decision.
Rich
2008 ACR

A lot of the attention is based on your location too. I' don't get near the attention I would have expected when I cruise downtown in my home town, but then again it feels more like a Prius city now with a bunch of hippies that don't like cars that actually use gas (despite it being a college town). You do still see the occasional camera hanging out of a window and the heads turning if you pay attention though. I guess I was expecting people to be yelling at me and challenging me at every stoplight, but I don't really care either way. If I make someone's day driving it good for me, if other people thumb their nose at me for being less "eco friendly" then they can stuff it, I still love the car.

Funny story about GT-R's though. My parents and I were just at a car show last weekend with our Vipers (their 94 and my 04) and there was a GT-R parked next to my parents' car. My mom was remarking on how it seemed like everyone was looking at the GT-R and not really paying attention to the Viper. To each his own. The GT-R is a technical marvel, the original Viper is a triumph of stubborness and ingenuity. It was a crude after hours project built out of a parts bin of much slower and blander cars. The fact that they could build a car with such extreme performance for its day with the junk parts they had to start with is amazing to me.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GT3 all the way. I was wondering when you were going to mention it. That to me is a fantastic car....

Would have mentioned it first thing but I didn't realize how cheap it was lol. I thought it was more expensive than the turbo.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich
2008 ACR

You know I have this problem now since I put HREs on my shelby. Some punks tried to steal them off my shelby and put some light scratches in the lug nut area on 3 rims that I easily enough corrected but still. I am so paranoid now I can't really enjoy myself when I leave my car places for longer than 20 minutes. I can't imagine how I'd feel if the whole car was like that. I am also always worried someone is going to ding the shelby. So far one year DD even through winter and not one scratch on the car (knock on wood).

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll have a hard time finding an allocation and you won't pay a dime below MSRP on a GT3.

No the dealer near me will do it for 10k under MSRP. Family just got like 4 porsche's from them at once pretty much. So they said whenever I want.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
You know I have this problem now since I put HREs on my shelby. Some punks tried to steal them off my shelby and put some light scratches in the lug nut area on 3 rims that I easily enough corrected but still.

Well if you're scared about getting wheels taken then the Viper is the ticket, lol. Only have to worry about truck guys taking them.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No the dealer near me will do it for 10k under MSRP. Family just got like 4 porsche's from them at once pretty much. So they said whenever I want.
Tell yourself that. There is no way you are getting a steal on a GT3, if they aren't all already allocated.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell yourself that. There is no way you are getting a steal on a GT3, if they aren't all already allocated.

I don't have to tell myself that. The GM told me that. And if they are getting 4 cars ordered at once from them they damn well better give me 10k off lol.

EDIT: wait a minute you live by tysons corner? Do you have a gen V? If so do you want to take me for a ride in it? :) lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just watched the viper on jaylenos garage again and forget the porsche the viper just looks so cool now lol.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I drove the 911 4S today with all the performance options except carbon ceramic brakes. I wasn't that impressed with it. I mean it felt like a really solid car but like it is only fast in 1st and 2nd. At 3rd the power is dead same as in 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th lol. And it didn't do anything for me emotionally either.

Idk unless the viper is the most bumpy pain in the ass POS to drive, the viper is way ahead in my book. Still have to go test out the m6 and c7.