'95 Viper Head Gasket Repair

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A mechanic friend and I changed the head gaskets, spare plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, and the high pressure power steering hose on my '95 Viper last weekend. It was actually pretty easy. When we got everything put back together, I toggled the key to 'ON' about 5-6 times to charge the fuel line since we replaced the filter. It turned over on the second try, but a tapping noise was heard coming from the passenger side of the motor. It seemed like it was either coming from one of the lifters or some exhaust leak. My buddy and I just abou **** a brick. I turned it off and he called another mechanic down for a second opinion. I started it back up and the noise was gone. I started it several more times and I couldn't replicate the sound. I took it out the next day and ran the **** out of it. It runs perfectly and the noise has never come back.

We concluded that it could have been an air lock in the fuel line? Wouldn't that cause no combustion and you'd only hear the valves or fuel injectors making some noise? Is there something else I should be worried about? Thoughts?

Dan Aseere

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I did the head gaskets on my 94 and started it up all the lifters clanged like I left a handful on bolts in the engine. Turned it off, call Chuck, said it takes a while for the lifters to pump up. All is well now.

OP
OP
S

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what mine sounded like. It was a horrible feeling until it went away. All is well now though.

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang