95 Viper intermittent transmission shifting issue

Thorz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just had my second instance of shifting issues while driving my 95.
Driving casually around 30 to 40 mph, the car shifted fine from 1 to 3 but when I went to shift into 4th, the shifter would not come out of 3rd at all. I couldn’t shift to neutral or any other gear. Trying to pull the shifter out of third was impossible and when I tried, I could feel the shifter started to vibrate quite a bit.

I released the clutch and tried again but the transmission was locked in third. I was able to pull over and stop the car, turned off the car and the car still would not come out of third gear. Started the car, let out the clutch while in third and got the call rolling in hopes to limp home in third (only about 2 miles from my house). About 2 minutes later, the shifter was no longer locked in third and I could shift into all gears.

This is the second time this has happened, the first time was about 3 weeks ago but the shifter unlocked from 3rd after about 1 minute and then shifted just fine. Because of this issue, I had the transmission fluid changed (old fluid looked great and no metal was observed) just in case that was the culprit but it still does it. The fill was with the dodge recommended fluid.

Anyone else have this issue or know what I can do to fix it?
Thanks for any help!

Trans Doc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like the skip shift solenoid is sticking or the pin is bent and not retracting fully.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456