96 GTS: Heater/AC: Low Vent Flow Velocity: Possible causes?

Discussion in 'RT/10 and GTS Discussions' started by Tom and Vipers, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers Enthusiast

I'm in PA and will be fixing car in NV so just trying to some homework.
    • Blower motor sounds like it is running properly
    • Proper vents active for Heat and AC but flow is very low
    • No sound of "rushing air" in high speed
    If I had to guess:
    • Something restricting the blower inlet
    • Blower cage fan is slipping on shaft
    Regarding the carbon fiber hood:
    • Hood installed with no cutout for heater intake "shorkel." I think they left the donut rubber gasket off to get some inlet. I suspect driven at 20-40k miles like this.
    • I put the hole through the hood maybe 5 years ago and never got around to putting the screen over it. Car is in the desert and spends 50 weeks a year locked up in an airplane hanger. I doubt that critters built a nest because no debris shoots out the vents when I turn the blower on.
    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers Enthusiast

Anyone? My FSM's are with the car in NV and I'd like to get some idea what I'm up against.

EXAMPLE: "You have to pull the dash most likely," would mean I'm not going to fix it.

Looks like MoparPartsGiant shows parts manual pics... from what I can see, there are 2 vacuum actuators.

QUESTION: Do the duct flappers ever break off of their shaft? Late 60's GM AC cars did this all the time. From the outside, everything is working but a lame broken off flap screws the pooch.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019