96 GTS inside door release stopped working

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Searched but didn't find any answers. Inside drivers door latch quit working today on my first spring drive. Outside latch works, locks work, Took door apart and tested the micro switch on the release handle and it seems to work, at least passing current. Backed it into the garage and parked it, used the outside button to open the door. Shut the door reached in and the inside latch worked, once, hasn't done it again. What's up?

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine acted funky before, so I just reached about 11" behind the handle and used the emergency latch. Opened door and exited vehicle.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of the time, it turns out to be the door wiring harness. Over time and multiple openings and closings, they crack and break.

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Searched but didn't find any answers. Inside drivers door latch quit working today on my first spring drive. Outside latch works, locks work, Took door apart and tested the micro switch on the release handle and it seems to work, at least passing current. Backed it into the garage and parked it, used the outside button to open the door. Shut the door reached in and the inside latch worked, once, hasn't done it again. What's up?

Sir......everytime I see your avatar with a 1.35 60 ft and 11.05, it just doesn't match up.. I see 1.35 in mid to low 9s but never in 11s...How is that possible??? JUST WONDERING!!! :dunno: :confused: :eater:

OP
OP
P

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sir......everytime I see your avatar with a 1.35 60 ft and 11.05, it just doesn't match up.. I see 1.35 in mid to low 9s but never in 11s...How is that possible??? JUST WONDERING!!! :dunno: :confused: :eater:

1.375 was a perfect run driving thru the clutch at BG VOI back in early 2000s with MT tires. Could of been a miss print but my car regularly went low 1.40s in the sixty so this was a perfect run to the sixty but not far below what I usually go. If you could power shift a Tremic trans it would have been a 10.80. Sixty foot has nothing to do with the final ET. You need to look at all the other incremental times. Since it's a basically stock engine with no power adders it doesn't pull down track. Tony A and Heffner were present and saw the time slip. Most of you turbo guys don't leave the line like I did, WFO.

My problem now is a door release. I've run out of half shafts and just drive the car.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you haven't resolved this yet, call Chuck Tator. I've already called him about this issue in the past on my 96 GTS.

Tator's #914-763-3136

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll take the rest of the door apart and look at the wires.

Just an FYI, the wires that they are talking about usually break inside the rubber harness protector that goes between the door and the body (not inside the door if that's where you were focused on.)

Has happened to me 2 or 3 times, and I now have the EXACT SAME symptom to go out and look at this morning. I'm hoping it is a wire again; but, I thought I fixed most of them with extra length splices! :curse:

OP
OP
P

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just an FYI, the wires that they are talking about usually break inside the rubber harness protector that goes between the door and the body (not inside the door if that's where you were focused on.)

Has happened to me 2 or 3 times, and I now have the EXACT SAME symptom to go out and look at this morning. I'm hoping it is a wire again; but, I thought I fixed most of them with extra length splices! :curse:

SOB! I went out and moved the flex sleeve between the door and the body and the latch worked. I wouldn't to thought to look there, thanks.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SOB! I went out and moved the flex sleeve between the door and the body and the latch worked. I wouldn't to thought to look there, thanks.

Just pulled mine apart. Pink/white stripe broken (2002 GTS color code might not be same as yours. My manual says also WT/DG comes from the switch)

Looks like this is my third time in there splicing a wire since Jan 2006. It is too much hassle to do them all at once as long as you are a DIYer. IMHO

I think that every time a wire breaks in a Viper door jamb, a submarine-type "dive" warning alarm should go off in the SRT engineer's offices ! LOL !!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32