'96 GTS wheels/rims

Bhuns16

Viper Owner
Reaction score
\'96 GTS wheels/rims

Fellas,

I've heard a "rumor" that the rims on a '96 GTS are not good for tracking. :eek: Is this true or false? If it's true, what are the horror stories? I very rarely track my car, but when I do I don't want that in my head while I'm concentrating on keeping my car on the track. I track my Viper maybe once a year. Do I have much to worry about?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \'96 GTS wheels/rims

Street tires, not much. Slicks, not allowed.

Not sure if 1996, early 1997 cast rims (also cast) are even allowed on the track for Viper Days.....

OP
OP
B

Bhuns16

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Street tires, not much. Slicks, not allowed.

Not sure if 1996, early 1997 cast rims (also cast) are even allowed on the track for Viper Days.....

What do you mean "Street tires, not much"?

How do I find out if they're allowed for VIper Days? Anybody know?

OP
OP
B

Bhuns16

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yep, there they are!

You must be registered for see images

[/QUOTE]

If this is prone to happen, does anyone know why Dodge never recalled these wheels for a safety concern? From what you guys are saying, it sounds like my car, and all '96's are useless on the track. Granted, it's a street car. But wasn't the VCA and hence "Viper Days" originally sponsored by Dodge or the SRT team? I think those of us with '96's are kind of getting screwed. :evilmad: Our cars should be just as safe on the track as '97's and later years.

I want a set of original looking ('96) wheels that are track safe. And Dodge should have to pay for it. And before they're sold off. Now who's with me! :usa:

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Street tires "not much" means that with the limited adhesion of stock sized street tires the stresses generated are "supposedly" below cast wheel failure, hence no recall.

I personally wanted the stock look but the piece of mind of forged wheels and bought a set of 1998 17" forged wheels that are not only stronger but have a higher level of polish. One of the few "non-stock" modifications I've made to my GTS.

As far as what's allowed at Viper Days, A phone call here:

www.ViperDays.com
764 West Shore Drive
Culver, IN 46511
Phone: (847) 594-8477 Fax: (312) 329-9251

Or an e-mail to Tom Sessions, the tech director for Viper Days, will answer that question.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4