96 R/T running way too cold? HUH?

Reaction score
My 96 R/T runs the usual 190-220 degrees around town (under 50MPH) but when I get on the HWY it runs around 140 to 160 degrees according to the temp. gauge. The ambient air temp is around 40 to 45 degrees. I do have Red line wetter, but this is ridiculous. I have also had a recent problem of low oil pressure readings as well and am going in this week to get a new oil pressure sending unit installed (another poster corrected a similar problem this way) But what gives with the low temp readings on a cold HWY. My 98 GTS has never run cold.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Sounds like you either have changed the t-stat to a 165 or lower or the stock one is stuck open. How long does it take the car to get to 200 degrees? Vipers with low temp t-stats will run much colder on the HWY, especially if it's only 45 degrees ambient, and will get up to normal operating temp (200+) in stop and go driving. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Richard in Ala:
My 96 R/T runs the usual 190-220 degrees around town (under 50MPH) but when I get on the HWY it runs around 140 to 160 degrees according to the temp. gauge. The ambient air temp is around 40 to 45 degrees.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>