96 RT/10 Head Gasket Problems

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 96 RT/10 with 17K on her. I have been reading and have heard allot about head gasket problems. What is the deal? Should I have them replaced before they need it or wait? How expensive is it to have done and where should I get new and improved gaskets? Any advice or input would be great. Thanks guys.

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hello,
i went through this myself. my 96 rt/10 had the same problem. mine were actually leaking. it costs about $1000 to change them to the steel core gaskets that don't leak. i don't think i would bother to change them until they leak. the best one to ask is chuck tator.

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep. Don't mess unless there's leakage. Occasionally snugging the thermostat housing is a good idea (mine's blown the crossover gaskets four times now). It's beneath the intake manifold just above the coil packs.

If the coolant has not been changed, or you don't know -- DO IT (actually, get it done. Unless you have the right fill tools, it's a complete pain in the neck)! That's about all.

Mike

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can the crossover gasket fail 4 times?? Are you using the right replacement gasket?

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can the crossover gasket fail 4 times?? Are you using the right replacement gasket?

Yes. First three times by the dealer. Could be my water pump. Of course, it has always happened under high RPM situations... You can actually hear the pop.

Mike

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just check your heads for coolant leaks trickling down the side of the block, or have them checked if you are worried and relax. My '96 has 37K miles on the clock and the head gaskets are fine, not every single 96 or GenI fail.

If the wheel ain't broke don't fix it!

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
96viperRT10,
Click on the "Photos" below my Avatar and look for the picture "CoolantLeak05" in my photo album to see what you will see if the gaskets are leaking.
Later,

OP
OP

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you all. I have not noticed any leak but I have noticed that the temp is a little warmer then I would like. I am going to have the coolant replaced, its past due, and see if that takes care of the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine