96 suspension vs. side pipes

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have two brokers/dealers trying to locate a '95 Red/Tan RT/10 for me and this is not proving to be an easy task. I really want a side pipe car but prefer the Tan or Black interior.

My question:

Is the '96 suspension upgrade worth giving up the sidepipes and how much would it cost to add them later?

If not, I may just go with a more plentiful '95 Red/Grey and have Venzano do a conversion to a Tan or Black interior.

Matt

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that there is major work involved in going from a 95 to a 96 suspension. I think the mounting points are even a little different? The 96 has 15 more horsepower and a much better suspension. You might want to get a 96 and put the sidepipes on that?

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have several friends with 95 RT's and for track use they are really sorry they have the old suspension. The newer suspension is really worth it! I would get a 96 or newer and put on side pipes. My 2 cents

OP
OP
M

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about any confusion regarding trying to retrofit the newer suspension. I didn't figure that was possible. I was refering to adding side pipes later.

Thanks for the info. I'll do some more looking and see if I or the brokers can locate a Red '96 RT. It will probably be on par with trying to find a Red/Tan '95.

Matt

OP
OP
M

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, there were approximately 721 '96 RT/10's.

White w Blue Stripes
Red w Yellow Stripes
Black w Silver Stripes

Matt

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
'96 rt/10's were unique, as they had rear exhaust, but gen1 guts. They were available in 3 color schemes:

Red/Yellow wheels (Ketchup and mustard)
Black/Silver wheels/silver stripes (came to a "V" on the hood)
White/Blue Stripes/White wheels (also came to a "V")

Also had colored accents on the steering wheel (red or blue)

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 96 rt/10 does have different suspension and suspension points, and i own a 96 rt 10, black and silver, Yes only one of 768 made.....

Reaction score
I own a Red 96 RT10 with 9k miles and extended warranty. Edelbrock headers, Borla cat-back. There were approx 177 Red 96 RT's produced. I could be convinced to sell it. I also have a 98 GT2 and 99ACR. Also have 2 daily drivers (98 5.9GC and 2001 S500) and only a 3 car garage. I could use an extra space for the S500. The 5.9 GC likes the outdoors. My 96 with the its aftermarket exhaust sounds pretty good.