97 blue/white gts..whats it worth?

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just search for one of the 10 or more like threads that have been posted here in the last month / month and a half, must be that "panic" buying

What happened with the Lambo??????

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Adam, I'd say $45k would be stealing the car and $50k would be very retail. So I venture a guess at $47.5k would be the value. JMHO.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would say 50k would be a damn good buy! It depends how motivated the seller is. I do not think 53k would be a rip off for that car, if it is truly mint.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, $53k.....
How about telling what you think the same car would be worth if it were,
Or the exact same 97, but not blue&white

SJT97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$45k would be a great deal and probably wouldn't pay over $50k no matter how bad I wanted it.

Agree with the $47.5k price posted above.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I honestly think 50k would not be a bad deal. Would 47.5k be a better deal? No question. As for my 53k comment, I would pay more if it was truly perfect. In fact I did.

Anyone who thinks you can get a mint 97 blue/white for 45k... Has not searched for blue/white cars. When I say search I mean see them in person, not search Ebay.

As a comparison Joe, I think a red 97 with 7k should be 45k. I am guessing you do not think the blue/white bring a premium.

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New Corvette $53,000
New Ford GT $139,000
Blue and White GTS Priceless!!

I bought mine 13 months ago and still thrilled. For me it is the exact right car in the classic colors. Buy it!!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BlueGTS,
I agree that the B&W is popular and that it will bring a premium.
I'd just like to have you fill in the blanks below.
How about telling what you think the same "mint 7K miles with full **** care till 9/04 well maintained" car would be worth if it were,
97- $53k
Or the exact same 97, but not blue&white. -$45k

Reaction score
I searched along time for mine 97 blue/white 6k miles.Came across alot of cars that owners and dealers said they were pefect.I was willing to pay more once i seen the condition it was in compared to other i seen.I think 53k is the right price for a close to perfect car

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be of higher value, must it be an original B&W, or would a top quality repaint qualify?

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
BlueGTS,
I agree that the B&W is popular and that it will bring a premium.
I'd just like to have you fill in the blanks below.
How about telling what you think the same "mint 7K miles with full **** care till 9/04 well maintained" car would be worth if it were,
97- $53k
Or the exact same 97, but not blue&white. -$45k

All right lets play your game so you can pick apart my opinion. First, lets understand we are talking about a perfect car, so top dollar... No bargain Viper with issues etc. I do not count a re-paint as perfect. I would not have bought mine if any part had been repainted. I know not everyone feels this way but I was not looking for a bargain, I was looking for the "right" car. Here goes:
96 - 50k
97 - Blue 52k red 45k
98 - 47k
99 - 50k
00 - 53k
01 - 57k
02 - 63k

Pick away, oh knower of all prices.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read the #'s and weep.Nada,blue or whatever color book.The car is worth 33 wholesale and maybe 39-40 retail.The dealer knows these #'s better than anyone.An offer of 36-37 would be generous. Bruce

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NADA and blue books are very inaccurate for Vipers and other limited production cars. Don't use these to negotiate with a knowledgeable seller unless you like being laughed at!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok Aaron,
I'll not pick apart your answers to the quiz.

I will say that I think the B&W crowd has decided that their cars are worth a premium that everyone else doesn't know about.

I'm not saying it isn't real, I'm saying that a rare color will only bring a higher price from a certain group of enthusiasts.
I believe that the general public probably believes that red is the most desirable color for a Viper. If you offered a regular man in the street his choice, I believe he might very well take a red one.

In other words, within the VCA the B&W premium is real but will a bank loan you more money because you want to buy a B&W?
I believe the market for B&W at a 20% premium price is real but very thin.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Joe, I hear what you are saying. I personally did not look for any other color. I think you will find >50% of the B/W people feel the same way. I think the fact that some perspective buys feel the same way will raise the price of that color scheme. I personally think the B/W will hold value the best over the mass produced colors for this reason.

Now could I get a loan due to this… Hell no! You really have to be looking to buy a GTS and have B/W as your first choice to know what I mean. A loan officers or NADA book does not care what color it is because he is not looking for one. I personally think the difference in price will become more apparent in the coming years. To be honest, it is a car that was produced in relatively large numbers, so they will depreciate no matter what color they are. Since I am not selling any time soon, it really does not matter. It is not an investment it is a car.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Read the #'s and weep.Nada,blue or whatever color book.The car is worth 33 wholesale and maybe 39-40 retail.The dealer knows these #'s better than anyone.An offer of 36-37 would be generous. Bruce

Any Viper dealer,and I mean ANY,will buy a 97 b/w with 7k for 40-42k.I shopped an 8k car 30days ago and all offers were over 40k.The numbers above arent real.Dealers will pay 10% more for a b/w because they know it will bring a higher retail.

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i got my car with 7k miles on it, in MINT, i'm the 2nd owner, and i paid $40k for it, it was def a stealing deal, he wanted $47k, but i got my way to brought the price down to $40k, because the seller was moving in like 2 days, lol, so..........but i would say $45k will be a good deal

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Let's see... So we are basing the price all mint B/W's are worth off one great deal where the seller was highly motivated? This is a long-standing problem I have with the answers to "what is is worth" questions.

My problem is, only people who got great or average deals post. No one ever says. I got ripped off, I am very stupid, I paid $XX,000. Or lets just say 1 of those people for 9 of the others. For this reason the numbers are always based on the low end of the scale. Joe if you honestly think a 97 B/W is worth 45k… Good for you.

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems to me that the 96-97 Blue White GTS are in demand for a few reasons...First GTS...Awesome color...you cannot deny that...forged pistons, more cam...etc.
So even though book value is 33K, these cars are going for much more.

The sellers want top dollar and the eager buyers are willing to pay top dollar.

So answer me this ???

Why then are all the other Vipers getting lower prices? In Direct comparison to the 97? Supply/Demand?

So then my "MINT" 2002 GTS FE #338 (Red/White) will hold the same value status as a 97....you wanna know why...because if all the fe owners stick to their guns and will only sell for top dollar..it will bring top dollar. Think about it. This board has more posts about pricing vipers than anywhere else I know. It seems like we get opinions from each other and make up our own depreciation rules, then nada comparisons and somehow split the difference accoprding to the car..year...color...

So all said you can see the relationship I am describing ..Comparing the 97 Blue White to MY 2002 FE GTS # 338

So there you have it THE FIRST GTS AND THE LAST GTS EVER!!!

I AM NEVER SELLING MINE ...BUT IF I EVER HAVE TO FOR UNSEEN REASONS I WILL BE ASKING TOP DOLLAR.

Dave :D :D :D

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm saying that the market for B&W at a premium price is thin.
That means, yes, there are some guys who are looking for a B&W GTS and they are willing to pay 15% more for it.
Are there lots of those guys? I don't think so. You might get more but perhaps not.

In order to get that higher price, you need to be selling at the same time that one of these special customers is buying. I believe that most prospective buyers wouldn't give much if any more because of the color.

I'd say that selling a highly modded car is sort of the same deal. If you just happen to run into someone who is planning on buying a car and spending lots of money to mod it, you may just sell that car to that guy for a high price.
But that isn't the norm.

You tell the average guy who is trying to get into a Viper that yours is worth 15% more or is worth just as much as a 4year younger car, because it's B&W or because it has mods, and he is likely to say, "that isn't worth much to me".

Like I said, I'll grant that there is a special market for B&W Vipers. I just don't think it's a sure thing that any given seller can count on tapping into that market when he is ready to sell.

And I sure don't think that this car in question is worth $7k more than the exact same car in red, just because it's B&W.

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe, well said!

On that note, I think that if anything.......The FE GTS 2002 should be worth the "most" in the future. ...The LAST of the BEST!! PRICELESS!!!

Dave :D

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Joe, I honestly do not think you understand the mindset when people by a B/W, which is ok. I will also admit that my car is depreciating like all non-GT2's. I personally believe in 5 years mine will retain more value than a non B/W, (not that it maters). You do not agree, great. So there we have it.

Do I think the B/W is worth 7k more than a red? Maybe not, but I do think it is worth 5k more. Pretty crazy huh? I bet you would never be stupid enough to get suckered into buying a B/W. Good for you.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Once again, using an isolated example as the rule. These low prices are the exception, not the rule. People on this board do this every time someone asks for a price. No matter what year or color of the car. "I know a guy who bought a 02GTS for $6, so the FE you are looking at is not worth a cent over $7." Using a low price on a car you have never seen is not a good barometer.

I really want to see one of these 43k cars. Every year car has a range due to its condition; no doubt, that car was on the low end of the range. This is just like saying, I saw one go on Ebay for XX,000. Seeing is believing. Hearing about or reading about is not enough to get true price estimates. However, I am obviously in the minority here.

Ok I will revise my statement, B/W is the cheapest GTS because it is the oldest.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's starting to look like the "isolated examples" may be the guys who paid a big premium.
Hey, I'm just kidding.
If you got what you wanted for what you paid and you are happy, what more could you ask for?

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aaron, well said also...I also believe that there are some buyers looking for that mint 97 who are willing to pay top dollar, and do! Collectors perhaps... You do not hear about some of these sales...or perhaps there are sales taken place at a dealership, to someone who has little knowledge of vipers, BUT just WANTS the Car! And pays dearly.

Dave :D