97 blue/white gts..whats it worth?

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BlueGTS, I'll back you up here a little bit, but not to the grave.

It gets old telling this story...as I'm sure people are getting sick of reading it...but....

I bought a brand new 97 b/w GTS in sept of 03. I paid $61k, less a $149.00 check I got back.

The car was new, on mso, on the dealership floor for 6 years, and had 201 miles on the clock put on by the dealership owner, and came with full 3yr/36K mile warranty starting the day I picked it up. Also it came with original owner status. (priceless - IMO.)

At the time I owned one Bad A$$ Red RT-10, 540+HP non supercharged, that whipped a$$ on a local 01 supercharged car with ease. I had no reason to change cars!

Then I got bit by the b/w bug, and just HAD to own one. I set out to buy a b/w, and nothing but a b/w. I wanted the nicest, cleanest one I could find.

When I was looking for a b/w back in Aug and Sept of 03, I couldn't find a nice b/w with under 10K miles for under $55K up to $58K. I did see a few 20K plus mile cars for mid $40k's, but they weren't for me. I must have looked at, called on, bid on, and tried to buy 25 to 30 different b/w's, talked to hundreds, e-mailed more than I care to remember, until I was shown the perfect car above which I bought over the phone site unseen.

Was it a case of not knowing the value as 2badd 4u says above? Not even close. At the time I was paying only a few grand more than what a used one, two or three owner car of the same year and color would cost with zero warranty and miles that who knows how it was treated.

Take the used car, at the time I was shopping, add a Gold warranty if you could even get one, and it was about the same price and in some cases LESS than I paid for a new never owned car. Some may say it was over priced but who cares what others think. Try to remove the grin off my face!!!

The b/w market has softened up since then by about $3k to $5K, IMO.

Paying top dollar a new 97 in 03, becoming the orig owner of a classic colored Viper, under full warranty which I can extend until 2013, I consider a gift to me. I would do it again in a heartbeat! IMO, I stole this car! It should have cost me or someone else a ton more. As a matter of market info I did get an e-mail telling me of a 96 or 97 b/w still on mso with about 6 miles, the owner wanted over $100K for the car.

See like thread titled - Final Edition GTS Vipers.....Priceless.

Buy, enjoy, and have fun!

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sellers price often depends on needed value or percieved value.I wonder how many are upside down with the loan?(owing more than the cars is worth).Put down a small downpayment and took out a big loan.Paid msrp or msrp plus while identical cars were purchased at list?Did a lot of expensive mods that are almost worthless on resale?When I bought mine I got it for dealers list plus 1000(best I could do) while others at the same time were paying straight msrp.Then there are some people with a lot of money and it just doesn't matter to them.And of course there are those with more money than brains which just might include each and every one of us.Kind of a variation of thinking with the wrong head........ Bruce

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I sold several of these cars last year. All low mileage, most with service contracts. Price varied from 45 to 52k. Hope this helps.

Daniel, that helps a lot! That is the type of response someone is looking for when they ask what a car is worth. I doubt they are looking for the... "I know a guy who has a cousin, who's boyfriend bought one on EBAY for $38,500." :rolleyes:

My main point is that many people on this board give the lowest number they have ever heard, regardless if they ever saw the car. I just do not think this helps prospective buyers or Viper owners in general. Perpetuating ultra low resale numbers hurts everyone. I guess psychologically people like to show they know people that made better buying choices. I really do not get it.

My question to the guy who bought the B/W GTS for 40k and the guy who knows the guy who bought one for 43k: Are you saying the average price for a B/W is between 40-43? If not…

As a personal example, I know someone who just bought a 98 Silver GTS for 39k, but I would not give this number when someone asks; “What is a 98 Silver GTS worth?” I would say 42k-48k.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most guys on this board don't want to say what they paid for anything, mods, cars, anything.

We had a discussion about this. Most said it was nobody else's business what they paid. I don't agree, I think telling the price of Vipers and Viper things is valuable info for everyone on the board.

Only some kind of misguided vanity would keep people from telling the details of an arms length transaction concerning items of interest to all.

If there were a place on the board where people could post the deals they made on cars, mods and equipment, much like the place where they post time slips and dyno numbers, it would be a great help for all of us.

If I were writing the rules for that place, I'd say that it had to be a deal YOU actually followed through with. Not a price you saw or heard about.

Wow, what a great idea. ;-)