What’s my car worth

JohnD13

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking for some opinions on what my Viper might be worth in today’s car market.
1997 GTS
25k miles
All stock
Very minor chips and road rash on the front bumper
All recalls performed
New tires
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• IMG_7943.jpeg
    IMG_7943.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 4

capevettes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably 60ish give or take a few grand. I do follow the market, BAT and other venues. The prices vary significantly based on year, condition and mileage. $45,000 to $70,000 seems to be the range for non ACR Gen 2 GTS.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yeah, where you live in the country and even time of year can have a decent effect on the price of cars like these as well. The snide answer is "whatever someone is willing to pay for it", though that's really the truth. How badly you need/want to sell it can affect the price as well. If you're not in a hurry you can generally list it higher and wait as there aren't that many cars out there to begin with, so if someone wants one bad enough they'll likely be willing to pay more. Very nice looking car though, so I don't think you'd have much trouble. Generally speaking though the first thing I'd do would be check all the usual sites to see what's out there for comparison. Kind of like doing comps for houses in a neighborhood. Cars.com, AutoTrader, eBay, etc. Bring a Trailer tends to run on the higher side I think, but is a reference point just the same.

Badsnek

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, where you live in the country and even time of year can have a decent effect on the price of cars like these as well. The snide answer is "whatever someone is willing to pay for it", though that's really the truth. How badly you need/want to sell it can affect the price as well. If you're not in a hurry you can generally list it higher and wait as there aren't that many cars out there to begin with, so if someone wants one bad enough they'll likely be willing to pay more. Very nice looking car though, so I don't think you'd have much trouble. Generally speaking though the first thing I'd do would be check all the usual sites to see what's out there for comparison. Kind of like doing comps for houses in a neighborhood. Cars.com, AutoTrader, eBay, etc. Bring a Trailer tends to run on the higher side I think, but is a reference point just the same.
Some of the best advice I've seen so far.

JohnD13

I tell everyone, if you aren't in a rush, wait until the spring/summer months to list. Make sure you get the car proper exposure, FB Marketplace, FB groups and Autotrader. I own 5 Vipers and I have never bought one from the same state I live in. I have bought 4 out of the 5 from 1000 miles away or more. Since these are so rare, it helps with people traveling to buy the right one. You just have to make sure you get it in front of the right buyer. I would anticipate $60-$65k to the right buyer. If you are in a semi rush $50-$60k. Rush pricing $40-$50k. Do not listen to all the tin foil hat/chicken little people who claim the market is gone. Vipers are rare enough that there is no "strong market" as I call it. You can gather what things are listing for, but its often hard to tell what things actually sell for. People love to point out "outlier sales" both good and bad and then try to insist that is the "market". I will admit that in the last 4 years, even during the height of Covid, I bought all of my Vipers extremely below "market value". Remember with the auction sites, its only what someone is willing to pay at that exact moment. Depending on how much documentation you have on the car and the amount/quality of pictures you take, that can severely help or hinder your sale. I was able to get a very rare and valuable Viper for almost half of what its worth because of how they had it misrepresented in the auction. I hope this helped.

OP
OP
J

JohnD13

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. Some good stuff here. I’m already having sellers remorse and I haven’t even listed it yet…

Badsnek

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. Some good stuff here. I’m already having sellers remorse and I haven’t even listed it yet…
You're welcome. I've become obsessed with Vipers. My goal is to own one from every Gen. I have two Gen 1 RT10's and have one of them listed for sale so that I can start the process of saving up for a Gen 5. With that being said I don't know if I will actually be able to let the one I have for sale actually sell. I completely understand the sellers remorse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21