'97 GTS Question

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can I get some opinions on what a '97 GTS Blue/White, with ~16,000 miles is worth?...excellent condition, never seen rain, 100 percent stock, etc, etc. I may have a chance to get one from an owner who has expressed an interest in selling his, but isn't actively advertising it (yet).

Excuse my ignorance if there's information on this forum on what I'm asking for here, but I haven't found anything so far.....thanks!

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prices for them have softened a bit - but totally stock is very desirable. Depending on how 'excellent' it is, you're probably looking at around $45k to $50k, maybe a bit more. There are a lot of them out there that have less than 10k miles, so even though 16k miles is barely broken in, value drops a little bit due to the mileage. The B/W GTS held its value pretty well, and is actually creeping up now.

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is the car in San Antonio? I know an older gentleman that has a 97 in SA. Have not seen in awhile. Price depends on looking at the car frist hand, not just pictures. Call me if you have any questions. 695-8703.

Chris

OP
OP
SA HEAT

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prices for them have softened a bit - but totally stock is very desirable. Depending on how 'excellent' it is, you're probably looking at around $45k to $50k, maybe a bit more. There are a lot of them out there that have less than 10k miles, so even though 16k miles is barely broken in, value drops a little bit due to the mileage. The B/W GTS held its value pretty well, and is actually creeping up now.

The "excellent" is pretty good except for some wear on the left side of the driver's seat bolster, a little curb stop rash under the front air dam, and a small fender scratch...I'd have to fix all three to get it 100%. It also still has the stock tires which are probably like rocks after 12+ years, so I'd have to put a little cash into it to get it perfect.

Thanks for the help....I just sold my C6 and am looking for something a little more exclusive and have always wanted a 96-97 GTS. I have a lot to learn and have been trying to do as much research as possible before I take the plunge. This looks like a great forum.

OP
OP
SA HEAT

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the car in San Antonio? I know an older gentleman that has a 97 in SA. Have not seen in awhile. Price depends on looking at the car frist hand, not just pictures. Call me if you have any questions. 695-8703.

Chris

It's not in San Antonio, but it's not too far...I'll call you. Thanks!

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "excellent" is pretty good except for some wear on the left side of the driver's seat bolster, a little curb stop rash under the front air dam, and a small fender scratch...I'd have to fix all three to get it 100%. It also still has the stock tires which are probably like rocks after 12+ years, so I'd have to put a little cash into it to get it perfect.

Thanks for the help....I just sold my C6 and am looking for something a little more exclusive and have always wanted a 96-97 GTS. I have a lot to learn and have been trying to do as much research as possible before I take the plunge. This looks like a great forum.

All of that sounds pretty typical of these cars, and to be expected. If you can have it looked at by someone who knows the cars, you're best off. Otherwise, I think somewhere in the $45k to $50k price range would be fair.

OP
OP
SA HEAT

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of that sounds pretty typical of these cars, and to be expected. If you can have it looked at by someone who knows the cars, you're best off. Otherwise, I think somewhere in the $45k to $50k price range would be fair.

Thanks, Martin.

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say closer to 40-42K in the current market if it drives out well, has a clean carfax and no history of body or paint work. The market is pretty soft. I bought a 96 B/W GTS with 17,000 miles last July for $36,000. Had to paint the front fascia, replace a driver seat bolster, replace driver door stancheon, floormats, hood pads and get a wet sand and detail to get it 100% to my satisfaction. Had less than 40K in it to get it 100%. Car had three year old Pilot Sports with less than 5,000 miles, so I avoided needing new tires.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say closer to 40-42K in the current market if it drives out well, has a clean carfax and no history of body or paint work. The market is pretty soft. I bought a 96 B/W GTS with 17,000 miles last July for $36,000. Had to paint the front fascia, replace a driver seat bolster, replace driver door stancheon, floormats, hood pads and get a wet sand and detail to get it 100% to my satisfaction. Had less than 40K in it to get it 100%. Car had three year old Pilot Sports with less than 5,000 miles, so I avoided needing new tires.

Good point - the market could be soft enough for a price like that. Gets me to thinking that I should pick up a spare B/W GTS 'just in case'. The OEM side sills alone are around $12k, the hood is well over $15k, and then you have the engine, transmission, doors, and all other parts. Paint was really consistent on those cars, so body part should match up almost perfectly. I could see a $40k purchase saving me a lot of money later on - and if I got lucky and never needed to use any of the parts, then I've got a $60k car five years from now...

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score

If you do purchase a 97 GTS, depending on the use, please remember these additional things that should be considered:

(1) The 97 might have Cast Wheels. Forged used are running right now only at about $1,000 for a set of 4. (If you do not plan to track the car, do not worry about at all)
(2) Will need to upgrade P/S Pulley and Bracket $200.00.
(3) Prob has bad motor mounts $250 plus labor.
(4) Change all fluids.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do purchase a 97 GTS, depending on the use, please remember these additional things that should be considered:

(1) The 97 might have Cast Wheels. Forged used are running right now only at about $1,000 for a set of 4. (If you do not plan to track the car, do not worry about at all)
(2) Will need to upgrade P/S Pulley and Bracket $200.00.
(3) Prob has bad motor mounts $250 plus labor.
(4) Change all fluids.

All good points! I thought that ALL '97s had the forged wheels (you'll know them when you see them - the cast ones look 'unfinished' and scratchy. My vin ends with 640 and it has the forged wheels. P/S pulley is a piece of cake and likely already fixed at that mileage - mine lasted to 7000 miles until it just grenaded completely and it was clear that was about it's design life... Motor mounts are a maybe - I've driven my car HARD and the motor mounts are still fine. But if you see the engine clunking right or left when accellerating or decellerating hard, that's the first place to check - but an easy fix. Definitely change all fluids. I'm partial to Red Line in everything, but some like other stuff - really doesn't matter if you keep within the manufacturers guidelines.

All in all a blast of a car to own, and probably one of the biggest bang for the buck available today if these prices are indeed realistic. Heck, for the price of a high end Hyundai, you could get a Viper that wouldl rip a Hyundai a new *********. If you have the opportunity to pick one up at a price that makes you and the seller happy , grab it - you won't regret it. They're virtually bulletproof as long as they've been taken care of (important to find out).

Zrxpilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And its the *****'n coolest car on the planet. My only advice is to get it on a rack and take a good look at it. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to find crash damage. Not saying its a bad thing but it definetly lowers the value.