97 gts trans fluid

112motorsports

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My owners manual says ATF dextron 3, and I was wondering if that is ok to fill it with. Thank you very much.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's fine to use, but you'll experience some NGR. I use Dex VI(synth.) and it shifts smooooooth. To eliminate NGR, use Castrol Syntorque.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Actually, SRT recommends ATF+4 as the tranny fluid that replaces the old Dexron III in Viper T-56's(ATF+4 is also the OEM "factory fill in Gen IV Vipers"). May not be that different from Dexron VI...but the ATF+4 recommendation was published in Viper Mag.

aacrewchief

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's fine to use, but you'll experience some NGR. I use Dex VI(synth.) and it shifts smooooooth. To eliminate NGR, use Castrol Syntorque.

This is probably a stupid question, but what is "NGR"?
I will be changing out my fluid too on my 97 GTS and would like to know what you are referring to, thanks!!

aacrewchief

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NGR is Neutral Gear Rattle - when the fluid warms up, you'll definitely know what it is when you're sitting at a stoplight.

That's interesting, I would not have guessed that one right, lol. I have never noticed or experienced this on my car and I have sat at many stoplights in neutral with the car and tranny hot. My car is pretty much all stock. Have had it only a few short months. Does it hurt anything or is it just an annoyance?

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You probably had the fluid changed out with the Syntorq stuff as per the TSB that went out to the dealers many years ago. The rattle doesn't hurt anything - these cars have big-ass gears and as the cars idle (especially with the 708 cam on earlier Gen II cars) there tends to be some rattle at idle. I just depress the clutch and the problem is solved :)

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Penzoil, amsoil, or GM Synchromesh....they all work very well. I'm running Penzoil synchromesh right now and can tell you there is a noticeable decrease in gear noise. Shifting gears is smoother as well.

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use Mopar Synthetic 75W-85 Manual Transmission Lubricant, part #04874459. It's the same as Castrol Syntorque and it's what Dodge recommends for your '97 Viper...no NGR either.

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have used Red line and Royal purple before. The best for me is the Mopar stuff that SA HEAT mentioned. Shifting is much better than the previous fluids.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too would recommend the factory synthetic. I just swapped out the fluid in my new to me 96 RT and it made a huge improvement. Part of the original Technical Service Bulletin for this included a replacement stcker for the trans noting the fluid change.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang