A Big Thank You To Chrysler For VOI X

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got back from Detroit, and wanted to say a big thank you to Chrysler and Cerebus for throwing us one heck of a party.

I came home exhausted, and in great spirits, cleaned out a bunch of dirty clothes from my suitcase, along with a big collection of Viper goodies acquired over the weekend. (how did that banner get in there?)

Chrysler really stepped up big time for this event. Before going I expected a pretty mild VCA. Detroit is in a huge economic funk. The Mayor is undergoing an inditement for poor behavior, lots of people are out of work, the city itself looks tired and very run down, and the automotive industry is struggling for its own existance, and in spite of it all, Chrysler threw a fantastic, and well run party for its Viper customers.

Busses ran all over town, between events, back and forth between hotels, and even stopped to pick up a bag of White Castle slider for one rabid fan.

The staff people were polite, genuinely caring, professional, and more helpful than you would have expected, considering the difficult economic condition in Detroit. Smiles everywhere and kind words from everybody.

Chrysler had company Vipers at each event for us to flog. Everyone got the chance to drive the new 08's and 09's with the new drive line and +600 hp engines. All the Vipers held up fantastic to our ham ****** drivings, and seemed to beg for more.

At the tent they had SRT employees available to answer our questions and to provide us insight into some of the design elements of the new ACR. We learned about all the aero enhancements both on top, and underneath the car. They wanted this to become the most awsome track car that you could also drive on the street, then showed how they, with almost no money, took the ACR to the 'ring' and posted the fastest time of any production vehicle ever.:drive:

Drags, autocross, and even a chance to drive some calibers on a tight head to head (lots of laughs) course brough out the competitive spirit in all of us. Those that want an all out racing venue were dissapointed, however everyone that wanted to get the chance to experience their cars in a competitive environment were pretty pleased.

Dodge opened up their proving grounds to all the attendees. This is a pretty top secret place, that rarely can be seen by outsiders, but Chrysler made us feel like one of the family, by opening their doors to their serious playground, and let us mark up their tracks with lots of rubber stripes.

The Penske event at Belle Island was a huge success. Dodge had the finest facility on the island for us to enjoy the races. We had a huge tent with free food, sunscreen, hats, earplugs, and both inside and track side open air tables. The food was the best track food ever with kabobs, pasta salads, chicken, barbeque, cookies and lots of sodas, water, coffee and drinks. We had our own seating at the end of the long straight, where the race cars had to decellerate from top speed into a sharp right hander. Many of the cars could not slow down in time to make the turn, and proceeded straight into the run off area where the workers would hook a gurney undneath them, spin them around and launch them back into the fray.:omg: Pretty cool stuff. There was also a giant jumbotron screen right in front of us so we could keep track on happenings on other parts of the over 2 mile track.

The Vipers were well represented on the track, with pretty rapid parade laps on both race days for the people that brought their Vipers, as well as a bunch of privateer and factory sponsored Comp Coupes showing the fast way around the track.:headbang:

The drivers all came over to the tent to sign autographs, and were available to share their experiences with all attendees.

Dodge had two fantastic ballroom dinners in the new Motor City Hotel. Great food, open bars, and they even shared with us some insider information as to the future of Viper. They gave everybody a heads up the indeed the brand might be sold to another company, and while nothing is certain they gave us a warning shot that we need to get our affairs in order, as nothing is forever.

I know I am leaving a bunch of stuff out, as the event was chock full all weekend.
Just wanted to say to Cerebus and Dodge that I appreciate all that they did. It seemed they were doing something that the wanted to do, as opposed to something they had to do.

While we eagerly look forward to VOI 11, we realize that events like this are not something that happens in the ordinary course of vehicle ownership, and if was greatly appreciated by those that attended.

I feel that the entire event could be summarized by the t-shirt that some of the members made up to pass around in the memorabilia collection. Dodge made Vipers so that Vette guys could have Heros!"

Thanks Dodge.:2tu:

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: A Big Thank You To Chrysler For Voix

Hi Paul,

I second your thank-you to Chrysler and Cerberus for putting on such a great show for us Viper owners! Other than one bus driver who had a "bad address" and kept us driving for hours instead of touring the Conner Ave plant, it was an amazing time!

Was the banner was the one from the river boat cruise? If it was I met you on the stairs and you still had that "I can't believe I have this banner" look on your face....I was the long-haired guy still drinking my Heinekin.

Regards,
Aaron

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: A Big Thank You To Chrysler For Voix

Very classy Chrysler and Cerebus well done.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a HUGE difference between this VOI and the last one. I remember the war here after the winkwink nudgenudge from the last VOI. The credit goes to the new VCA leadership... you guys have done a great job giving us a single voice to the powers that be. :2tu:

tmish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too wanted to write a thank you to everyone that worked no doubt countless hours to pull off this marvelous event. I'll be brief because Paul summed it up very well. The on-site staff should be especially commended for always wearing a smile and going above and beyond to make us feel like part of the team. I've looked forward to this event ever since it was announced and although it was my first VOI and I have no others to compare it to, I can't imagine any of them being any better.
I feel sorry for those who couldn't make it.
Thanks SRT Team, JRT, Dodge and everyone who helped make it an exceptionally memorable event!!!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a great event, with great people! Looking forward to the next one!

gts_2001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Count me in too for a "Hell Yeah"!!

Thia was the first VOI for my wife and I. Chrysler / Cerberus delivered far and above our expectations, and for that we also say THANK YOU!!

I even got a hug from Ralph Gilles for being a loyal Chrysler customer! What other make car owner can top that!

Hope to see everyone at VOI XI!!

:2tu::2tu:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>Everyone got the chance to drive the new 08's and 09's with the new drive line and +600 hp engines.<<<

Wish this would be true - those of our group who had a red wrist band were NOT allowed to drive the new SRT Viper.

gts_2001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"">>>Everyone got the chance to drive the new 08's and 09's with the new drive line and +600 hp engines.<<<

Wish this would be true - those of our group who had a red wrist band were NOT allowed to drive the new SRT Viper.""

All it took was to twist that red wrist band inside out and voila', instant white wrist band!

Too bad that nobody shared that with you...

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, but it would have made more sense for everybody to get a chance to drive the 08/09s if only to get to see how much better the new cars are. I think it was a missed opportunity to sell some new cars to the existing owners.

That being said, I had a great time and will remember this until alzheimers kicks in :D :D :D

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm glad I found your post Paul. I was looking to give Dodge, the VCA, SRT & JR Thompson a huge thank you for VOI 10. This was my first VOI, and my expectations were set high based on what prior attendees have told me, and let me say I was extremely pleased with the event. From the time you checked in untill the time the event was over it was packed with things to do. The entire event was fantastic, anyone who didnt attend really missed out on a great time. The food was great, the track events were great, the banquet & speakers were great, I'd say the Conner Avenue tour was the highlight of the event, I can't imagine that Viper sales wont increase after this event. Looking forward to VOI 11:drive: I hope lots of the attendees find this post and show they're appreciation to Dodge

Last edited:

ZO6 WHO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"">>>Everyone got the chance to drive the new 08's and 09's with the new drive line and +600 hp engines.<<<

Wish this would be true - those of our group who had a red wrist band were NOT allowed to drive the new SRT Viper.""

All it took was to twist that red wrist band inside out and voila', instant white wrist band!

Too bad that nobody shared that with you...

Unfortunately, that's not accurate. I did turn my red wristband around and was asked: "Who turned around your red wristband?" I admitted I had, and they refused to allow me to drive the 08's. While I did understand, it is far from true that "everyone" got to drive the new cars. The 350 of us who actually brought our cars certainly did not.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately, that's not accurate. I did turn my red wristband around and was asked: "Who turned around your red wristband?" I admitted I had, and they refused to allow me to drive the 08's. While I did understand, it is far from true that "everyone" got to drive the new cars. The 350 of us who actually brought our cars certainly did not.
Sorry to say there were those that abused the opportunity (i.e. drove the '08s with a red wristband) so not all 350 that brought their car missed out. Incredulous as it was there were those with their own cars that complained the 2008 "free" cars that they were using did not meet their tough standards.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32