A good day at the drag races

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took the afternoon off today and headed back to Sears Point for another round of drag racing. Modifications have been modest since my last round -- just high-flow cats and MOPAR ECU; I was not running NOS today as I'd have been booted off the track for not having a roll bar
You must be registered for see images
However, I got some very satisfactory results considering the conditions.

1st run: 12.38 @ 117.1, 2.07s 60' time, launch @ 1500 rpm w/clutch dump, shifts @ 5800 RPM
2nd run: 12.08 @ 120.0, 2.05s 60' time, launch @ 1200 rpm w/clutch dump, concentrating on shifting very quickly, same shift points
3rd run: 12.05 @ 120.0, 2.04s 60' time, same drill
4th run: 12.24 @ 114.5, 2.09s 60' time, missed 3-4 shift, sun had set and launch traction poor

To put this in perspective, there was an experienced drag racer there in his modified Z06; he had previously run 12.0 @ 116.5 w/1.9s 60', but today his best was 12.36 @ 115.9 with 2.05s 60'. The other two Z06s in attendence ran 12.9 and 13.2 respectively.

Vidoes of several of the races here . I'll next be at the drag races on 4/25, running slicks and a 150 shot of NOS

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great times Ben!
I am an inexperienced drag racer and brought my 98 GTS to Sears last year. I have only done about 5 runs in my life at the strip, and this was my first time with the VIper. I had similar mods: Belanger headers, Borla, tubes and filters; no Mopar ECU.

If memory serves me correctly, the best I was able to muster was a 12.3+ @ 122+ mph (launched at idle; 2.2 60ft.time). I will be dynoing my bone stock 2001 ACR at Apex on Sat. to see if my 2001 is down on power compared to my 98. In similar form (stock with filters and tubes) my 98 put down 402 hp and 449 ft./lbs.

Can't wait until you go up to Sears with the NOS. Let me know, and I might head up there with you.
-Wayne

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice times Ben, a couple of questions, what is the elevation of Sears Point? What rear end gear are you running? You gotta work on those 60' times, with my 3:54 gear I'm turning consistant 1.81/1.82 60' ft. times with pilots @ 20 psi. Are you going to make the trip down to LACR in Palmdale on May 6th for the Mopar drags? PLEASE let me know what you run with the slicks & spray.

Reaction score
Sears Point is close to sea level, and is slightly *uphill*. My car has the stock rear end.

Launch traction at Sears is pretty poor with street tires -- even launching at 1,200 RPM I'd get wheelspin for the first 1-1.5 sec. Other cars were not faring better -- the best Z06 60' times were comparable to mine. I'm experimenting with other launch techniques -- how do you launch your car?

Obviously, the real answer to 60' times lies in the rear tires. I'll be running ET streets as soon as APEX figures out how to modify the '01 rear calipers to accept 16" Purner wheels.

I'll certainly post drag results for slicks + NOS; however, it's going to be another month, as my Autoform roll bar delivery has been delayed

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben, I rev to 1,200 rpms dump the clutch get a slight bog and nail it, with the 3:54 gears it bites and pulls hard after the bog. You coming down to Palmdale for the Mopar drags?

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting, we're launching the same way but my 60' times are .2 sec slower and I'm getting wheelspin while you're hooking up. Chalk it up to differences in the dragstrip, I suppose.

Does anyone else have experience launching at Sears Point on street tires? I'd be interested in knowing techniques, 60' times, etc.

BTW, I won't make it down to LA for the drags this year. Certainly sounds like fun, however!

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you won't make it to LA, it would of been a close race on street tires and no spray, maybe one day I can make it to Sears point.

Track conditions may very well play a big part, but here's a little trick that has worked for me and my gearing. I launch at 1,200 the tires chirp and go but I don't nail it immediately I wait a 20th of a sec and then nail it, my tires bite, no wheel spin. How many passes yo get at Sears in a normal day?

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will try that delay tactic, thanks!

At Sears we typically get 2-3 runs before eliminations begin, which makes practice hard to come by
The track is also 75 minutes from my work, and is only open Wednesday evenings. Sigh. We need a good dragstrip for the Peninsula area...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21