A guy walks up to me, gives me this advice, and walks away............

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This guy walks up to me at the race track on Saturday, and tells me to put a 160 thermostat in my Viper, and it'll actually knock a tenth off my time. I turn away for a second, and look back, and he's gone.

Is there any truth to this ??? Anyone ever tried it ??

S

SUN RA KAT

Maybe a 180 degree thermostat, but a 160?
bsflag[1].gif

OP
OP
J

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So in other words, changing a thermostat sux.

Well then, I guess I'll look into other avenues for a little extra go power. I'll have all winter to do so.

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed my thermostat without removing anything except for the black trim underneath the windshield wipers. Its simple and quick. I dont know about added HP though.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan,

On the Viper - you have to pull the entire intake to remove the thermostat. Not worth the effort unless you are doing additional work (heads, etc.).

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mc55:
Putting in a lower temp thermostate actually does increase performance. It runs the car cooler, thus more efficient. Also decreases the chances of detonation. As for it knocking off a .1 seconds, I don't know.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is not true (mostly).

The "equilibrium" temperature of most modern engines (sitting there stationery at idle) is around 200-210 degrees or so. At this temperature the thermostat will be open all the time. If you have a 195 or a 180 or 160, it will always be open.

A 160 will usually run the car a little cooler in cool weather or on the highway, but not by all that much. In order to realize the benefits of a t-stat change on a Viper, you would need to *seriously* upgrade the cooling system.

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTS Bruce:
On what car? Bruce

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are asking me.....on my Viper

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Or use the 'ol "two ice bag" method. Throw 'em on top of your manifold (while the car is parked and shut off of course).

This seems to be an old Drag strip trick to cool off the intake.

11.9 on a 95 degree day, 98% humidity was done with my 2000 GTS using that technique.