A little help on a possible move to Dallas.

Hockeysnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any input on how Dallas is? We(my wife and I) are thinking of getting out of Snottsdale, AZ and moving where the people are actually friendly and your neighbors might even talk to you once in awhile.

Also, the schools here are not that good and we are wanting to have children soon.

Any input is appreciated.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great Viper club in the DFW area. Texas always has frindly folks. I am a 6th generation myself...still have paper land grants from the government of Mexico. Ya, I'm not partial.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on the size house you want, and what you want to spend. Anything in the Park Cities area is great. Frisco sounds like your kind of place though. Lots of young couples (baby factories), and lots of stuff to do. They even have a hockey rink. ;) Great schools, and very affordable homes.

syclone1157

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can post some other interests I could give you a better idea. Size of home, do you need land, do you like water activities,where do you plan to work, what line of work are you in? and anything else that you can think of.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last time I went to Dallas, all anyone cared about was my AGI & what kind of car I drove. Maybe things have changed.

OP
OP
H

Hockeysnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

Syclone- We are looking for a neighborhood with houses that look different, not one of those cookie cutter home developments. Home size, 4-5 bedroom, 3 car garage, pool, trees, yard. I have a home office so I do not have to commute. We miss having a downtown area and seasons. Hockey rink of course.

BigCarrot- Good call on the nearby ice rink...I almost forgot about that.lol

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Syclone- We are looking for a neighborhood with houses that look different, not one of those cookie cutter home developments. Home size, 4-5 bedroom, 3 car garage, pool, trees, yard. I have a home office so I do not have to commute. We miss having a downtown area and seasons. Hockey rink of course.

BigCarrot- Good call on the nearby ice rink...I almost forgot about that.lol

A home like that in the Park Cities would be in the 1.5 mil range if I had to guess, depending on the age of the home and the updates needed. The schools are fantastic. I have no idea what you're looking to spend. There are some really great neighborhoods in Plano that would be worth looking at too. Plano is sort of a younger crowd. I like that, but I bought in the Park Cities for an investment. I'm single, so all I really care about is cashing in. The family thing isn't a concern right now.

CANTDRIVE55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can also check out the McKinney area (East of Frisco). One of our friends have a figure skater-daughter and a hockey payer-son that have used that rink. They live in McKinney area so I guess the commute to the rink isn't bad.

FYI, I have my ranch up on the market but it's about 60 miles from Dallas. 154AC, pipe-fenced, 10500SF Austin-stone facade and flagstone surround porch, office, theater, gun library, swimming pool, 24AC private lake, everything "top-shelf" custom. You can see it at: www.texomaranches.com. It may be too far out in the "country" for you, but the Lone Oak school district is very strong.

Good luck in your search.

OP
OP
H

Hockeysnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cantdrive55- Yea, what Carrot said.lol. Nice place but we are trying to get closer to a city. That would be a great place though.

syclone1157

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may be biased based on the fact that I was born and raised in Rockwall but here goes.
Smallest county in Texas, 20 minutes east of Dallas, Next to Lake Ray Hubbard, Many restaurants, Great schools, Community activities include: concerts by the lake during the summer, Jazz in the park during the fall, Movies in the park in early fall, everyone brings thier lawn chairs and blankets to watch family movies. We are talking hundreds of kids and parents.
Neighborhoods that range from the 350's to 2 mil.. (non-cookie cutter) I could sit here all day!!!
Oh yeah I almost forgot. A very big lotto winner in Rockwall is also a huge hockey fan. He is planning an awesome rink. He will be submitting his plans very soon.

scoobie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Closing a new home tomorrow in McKinney on golf course with 5 bedrooms, study, media room, 31/2 bath, 3 car garage - have 2 appraisals @ 360k, sales price 285k. Builder has about 8 more discounted.