A Review by Someone who Gets It

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's nice to have some reviews by guys like this instead of the usual metrosextual type journalists.

mikesax

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thats how I see the auto world around me-most fun on 4 wheels for the money hands down-and than some!!!

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is where SRT marketing dropped the ball. I know they love the car and they want everyone else to love it too, but there's a lot of "reviewers" who know it is easy to get eyeballs on their pages by selling the controversy instead of a no drama feelgood story.

The Viper is easy to trash because there's few ramifications for doing so, and it's been the established story line for decades now :(
Hard to drive, hard to shift, it's trying to kill you, poor fit and finish, a lot of trash talk which isn't really true anymore gets dug up and thrown out there...it hurts the brand and keeps people from even contemplating the car as a real competitor to other sports cars.

While I think Ferrari's PR department is a bit too controlling, SRT should have taken not just the seat belt supplier list from Ferrari but also borrowed a couple of their marketing and PR guys on how to manage the flow of information.

Justin Bell should have gotten a car first. Yes, Ferrari plays favourites, but everyone else has toed the line in order to get early access (if any access at all). Once that narrative has been established with good reviews and great press they can have the known muck rakers have their turn. They'll get the message clear enough that running roughshod over the car just because they can will be a thing of the past. Ralph needs to be meaner to folks who don't respect his cars. More iron fist in a velvet glove and all that.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is where SRT marketing dropped the ball. I know they love the car and they want everyone else to love it too, but there's a lot of "reviewers" who know it is easy to get eyeballs on their pages by selling the controversy instead of a no drama feelgood story.

The Viper is easy to trash because there's few ramifications for doing so, and it's been the established story line for decades now :(
Hard to drive, hard to shift, it's trying to kill you, poor fit and finish, a lot of trash talk which isn't really true anymore gets dug up and thrown out there...it hurts the brand and keeps people from even contemplating the car as a real competitor to other sports cars.

While I think Ferrari's PR department is a bit too controlling, SRT should have taken not just the seat belt supplier list from Ferrari but also borrowed a couple of their marketing and PR guys on how to manage the flow of information.

Justin Bell should have gotten a car first. Yes, Ferrari plays favourites, but everyone else has toed the line in order to get early access (if any access at all). Once that narrative has been established with good reviews and great press they can have the known muck rakers have their turn. They'll get the message clear enough that running roughshod over the car just because they can will be a thing of the past. Ralph needs to be meaner to folks who don't respect his cars. More iron fist in a velvet glove and all that.

SRT DID HAVE POSITIVE REVIEWS PROMOTED

SEE THIS YOUTUBE VIDEO,....

http://youtu.be/iUUgTTTlkZ4

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were very few, if any, bad reviews of the Gen 5.

Not saying there weren't any good reviews, but damned with faint praise is more like where the Viper is headed.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/road-tests/features-13-questions-viper-april2013

Motrend's other videos also throwing fuel onto the fire...letting the WSJ piss and moan about the Viper really needing a V8...allowing a base SRT to be compared head to head against an SLS Black edition...those are the idiots that SRT needs to send messages to.