ABS unit on a 2001

paul fettig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the brake fluid changed a year ago but do not think they cleaned out the ABS unit. Now I see a discoloration in the brake fluid. If I were to just replace the fluid in the brake reservoir, would that eventually purge the ABS unit? I do that with the clutch and it works but not sure about the ABS unit.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brake fluid is not consumed so anything in the system will stay in the system unless it is completely bled through. Simply putting fluid in the top will not make any change in the rest of the system unless a thorough flush is done.

OP
OP
P

paul fettig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am told bleeding the calipers will not drain anything out of the ABS unit. The old fluid would remain until such time you open the valves and drain the fluid. That is my problem. Dodge has a special tool to activate the valves when bleeding the system.The fluid turned color after I hit the brakes hard setting in motion the ABS unit. That is what started this problem.

I found out today there is a way to drain the ABS unit without the dodge tool. Do what I did accidentally. Drive and hit the brakes hard activating the ABS unit and all its valves. Drain and refill the reservoir. Do that a couple of times and you should have clean or cleaner fluid in the ABS unit.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am told bleeding the calipers will not drain anything out of the ABS unit. The old fluid would remain until such time you open the valves and drain the fluid. That is my problem. Dodge has a special tool to activate the valves when bleeding the system.The fluid turned color after I hit the brakes hard setting in motion the ABS unit. That is what started this problem.

I found out today there is a way to drain the ABS unit without the dodge tool. Do what I did accidentally. Drive and hit the brakes hard activating the ABS unit and all its valves. Drain and refill the reservoir. Do that a couple of times and you should have clean or cleaner fluid in the ABS unit.
that is correct,flushing the brakes will not get to the abs pump, but doing what you stated will-

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My ABS light is on on my 2001 GTS. Its either the wheel sensors or something askew in the ABS unit. Still stops just fine, just don't have ABS. Service manual indicates DODGE has a separate diagnostic tool that plugs into the ABS connector to diagnose the issue. Anyone ever have DODGE do this?

drlee50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
same problem here. but on mine, the rear abs wire was sitting on the half shaft and wore thru the wire-- about 50% thru! so yeah, its shot. I have new ones . that outta do it. perhaps you have the same issue?

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
same problem here. but on mine, the rear abs wire was sitting on the half shaft and wore thru the wire-- about 50% thru! so yeah, its shot. I have new ones . that outta do it. perhaps you have the same issue?

No kidding. I was just poking around underneath and tracing the antilock sensor wires and low and behold, the drivers side rear line was rubbing on the half shaft. Rubbed all the way through. Nothing but a few strands left. Go figure.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to activate the ABS without a special tool? I'm thinking there is a way to jump some connections somewhere to get the ABS pump to kick in so it can be flushed. Can the SCT unit be used to activate the ABS? Thanks.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to use the DRB3 to bled the ABS it runs the motor and opens the valves to purge the fluid thru. I know a guy that can do this for you

Does anyone know how to activate the ABS without a special tool? I'm thinking there is a way to jump some connections somewhere to get the ABS pump to kick in so it can be flushed. Can the SCT unit be used to activate the ABS? Thanks.

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct the more you use the ABS the valves on the unit will open up and circulate the brake fluid. In essence it is beneficial to use the ABS for break bleeding. Same can be said on most ABS equipped cars.

Arthur

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456