AC + go fast = hot air on

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering about the air on the AC. I noticed going to VIR that every time I got into the gas the air out of the vents was like furnace air!!

I didn't think that much about it but today with the cloth top coming home from work...every time I nailed the gas..the freaking air out of the vents was like dragon's breath...Is this normal or does my car need service???

Thanks,
Todd

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't address your question completely, but the A/C does shut off when you are on the throttle hard.

I haven't noticed HOT air coming out when I get on it, but usually when I'm getting on it hard, I'm not worrying/thinking about hot air coming at me.

Reaction score
Check the search feature, it has been discussed many times.

Please re-read what was written. :) You CAN fix this....all it takes is a little check valve for the vacuum line. Your Viper may blow HOT air when you get on the gas....but my AC blows COLD all the time. :)

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey 02viper,
search using "ac trouble"
I had the exact same problem...
Look for Pescadito's response. He even went through the trouble of listing the part numbers from McMaster Carr.
I ordered the parts and it worked perfectly.
Super easy and inexpensive.
Good Luck
Lance

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is from Pescadito's response :
Here are the parts I got from McMaster-Carr
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Part # 47245K26
Diaphragm Check Valve, Nylon Body/Fluorosilicone Diaphragm, 3/16" Barb

Part# 51135K172
Silicone Rubber Tubing, Firm, 3/16" Id, 5/16" Od, 1/16" Wall, Black

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't address your question completely, but the A/C does shut off when you are on the throttle hard.
Actually no, the A/C does NOT shut off on hard throttle - the A/C clutch stays engaged and there is no A/C shutoff circuit on the car. For that matter, think about it; if the A/C shut off, it wouldn't get hot THAT fast.

The cause is that, at high throttle openings, engine vacuum decreases dramatically, and a faulty or missing vacuum check valve lets the air back out of the control diaphrams so the air control flaps fall back to rest, which means no air is going past the A/C evaporator.

The answer is to replace the vacuum check valve that is supposed to be behind the stereo head unit, or add a vacuum check valve on the vacuum line coming from the intake (from the passenger side intake outboard side, about four inches from the rear).

It has been discussed many times, I posted the part number of the vacuum check valve I put on my car a year or two ago.

RedOne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the part number for the valve, works like a charm..

PN: 24028036

It has a list price of $3.35... It was the least amount I have EVER spent at ANY dealership!!!

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know a lot of cars disengage their AC when there is extra load on the throttle (ie accelerating to pass a car)....so I assumed my GEN II did the same thing.

So are you guys saying its not supposed to do that?

*edit...just read the other thread. Time to get the parts.

RedOne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed my valve this morning after picking it up from the Dodge dealership... What a difference, the cabin is MUCH cooler, in fact I have had to turn it down this afternoon and I'm in hot and muggy tampa, FL...

On a side note.. Unless it's my imagination, but I feel like I have better throttle responce since adding the valve.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang