ACR at Sebring Vid!

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Yes Sebring is a great track, and when Viper Days ran there by itself it was great, was there for 2 Viper days events, then last year they partnered with PBOC, (for financial reasons, which I understand), and like you, we quickly figured out to stage near the front and get 1-2 clean laps before you caught the PBOC cars. It was just frustrating after running with only Vipers the previous years, never the less a great track I would recommend to everyone. Although it was great fun passing every other car on the track, Porsche's, Lambo's, Etc, Etc, :2tu:

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You gotta lot more that your not using.....
You are right about that...Tommy Archer showed me what the car can do and I am probably 7/10's of that...13 sec behind the ACR-X and behind most of the CC's too. Oh well, "Discretion is the better part of valor..." (remember, no cage, and I am no PRO (I have no illusions about that, haha)).

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mopar PCM w/ Belanger full race exhaust...Hoosier A6 slicks with about 8 cycles. The 997 GT3 RSR is 485 HP, 2700 lbs, 6 sp sequential gearbox, GT2 class LeMans racecar. I had to let up in T17, and was not able to go full WOT in the straights because he wasn't pointing me by (PBOC rules). ;)

I take it from the smiley that the way your ACR is set up it would be a match or better than that GT2 class Porsche if Tommy Archer was driving it on that track?:omg: If so the ACR-X should kill a GT2 class Porsche and the CC should incinerate it..Gotta love the ACR..Street legal and with a few tweaks its running with full-on racecars..Keep it safe and keep the vids coming:)

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are right about that...Tommy Archer showed me what the car can do and I am probably 7/10's of that...13 sec behind the ACR-X and behind most of the CC's too. Oh well, "Discretion is the better part of valor..." (remember, no cage, and I am no PRO (I have no illusions about that, haha)).

Does Tommy Archer know that you possess 7/10's the talent he has? Bold Statement from a NASA HPDE driver. :omg:

Sorry, couldn't resist. You left the door wide open on that one. :)

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does Tommy Archer know that you possess 7/10's the talent he has? Bold Statement from a NASA HPDE driver. :omg:

Sorry, couldn't resist. You left the door wide open on that one. :)

Do I detect a little jealousy here? You should learn the diff between TT and HPDE before making a comment like that... Come on out to the track and see the diff for yourself! ;) :2tu:

Last edited:

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mopar PCM w/ Belanger full race exhaust...Hoosier A6 slicks with about 8 cycles. The 997 GT3 RSR is 485 HP, 2700 lbs, 6 sp sequential gearbox, GT2 class LeMans racecar. I had to let up in T17, and was not able to go full WOT in the straights because he wasn't pointing me by (PBOC rules). ;)

I know you are a fast driver so don't take this wrong but A6's are not the best tires for lapping days (maybe they are better for time trials? I only race so...)-they are designed for autocrossing and heat up quickly-but also go away after a few hot laps. Try the R6's and you will be blown away at the difference after a few laps-but remember that the R6's take almost a lap at most tracks to heat up and "work", unlike even street tires. I have seen a lot of people who switch to them after running street tires go "farming" or worse the first time out, so keep that in mind if you try them-let them warm up!Or just ignore my advice as I am a no one...

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brian, I ran nothing but R6's before I started doing TT, and I have sets of both in my trailer. My tire selection depends on the situation, but as a TT guy I usually 'test' for a TT session, not a race. When you have to put down your hot lap in the first lap, the A6 is superior. It heats up in one turn. This type of event is more like race qualifying, and you are working in traffic after the first lap so you would never get a 'fast' lap on the R6. That's a lot different than a typical Viper Days event or race where they grid according to times and everyone is running on R6's, doing a warm up lap, and building up speed. I just get off the track when the A6 gets greasy (after a few laps). Jim

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly! Has the poster not seen what the GT2 Porsches due to the ALMS Spec CC all year long on the American Lemans Series? Is their such a thing as ACR-X fanbois? I thought those were for the ricer crowd.:lmao:

No fanboi here lol.

The question is, rules notwithstanding, can an ACR setup right hang with a GT2 class Porsche? This Vid was of a street legal ACR with mods vs this particular GT2 racecar. Boxer12's car isnt suffering from Neutered Viper Syndrome which pretty much happens to all Vipers entered in sanctioned racing events hence my question to him.

Pretty much every race series the Viper is entered it gets neutered with restrictor plates, smaller tires, weight penalties etc so you cant assume the GT2 would beat an unfettered CC outright as there are rules in place that allow that to happen. Come to a venue like this one in the vid and its run what you brung. Id love to see what an unneutered CC would do vs any of these racecars on any track. Not saying it would deffinately beat all of them but it sure wouldnt look as bad as it does once the sanctioning bodies get done with em.

Remember the CTS-V and Audis beating Vipers in SCCA. Vipers were restricted and ran smaller tires than even stock if memory serves . I got so sick of people looking at those T1 races and saying Vipers cant handle because Sedans were beating them.:rolleyes:

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do I detect a little jealousy here? You should learn the diff between TT and HPDE before making a comment like that... Come on out to the track and see the diff for yourself! ;) :2tu:

No jealousy here about "your" claim to be 7/10 the driver Tommy Archer is. I fail to see how 13 sec/slower a lap than the ACR-X driver 7/10ths the talent of Tommy. Ask CCBrian about my track experience. I get around the track just fine. HPDE vs. TT. Neither group is wheel to wheel racing. So as a TT driver you set your car up to run one "magical fast" lap. So you are running against the clock, same as an HPDE driver.
Not knocking HPDE as everyone has to start somewhere.

Last edited:

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No fanboi here lol.

Remember the CTS-V and Audis beating Vipers in SCCA. Vipers were restricted and ran smaller tires than even stock if memory serves . I got so sick of people looking at those T1 races and saying Vipers cant handle because Sedans were beating them.:rolleyes:

CTS-V from Speed World Challenge was a Pratt & Miller tube frame chassis car. They ran the same tires (Toyo RA-1 and later Toyo R888) as the Viper. The Viper had to initially run a 275 front and 335 rear (same as stock). At first the CC's were running unrestricted. It wasn't until they started finding success on the track that they were burdened with restrictors. No suprise as that is how it is done in racing. Some win, some lose in the process of creating parody between marquees.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CTS-V from Speed World Challenge was a Pratt & Miller tube frame chassis car. They ran the same tires (Toyo RA-1 and later Toyo R888) as the Viper. The Viper had to initially run a 275 front and 335 rear (same as stock). At first the CC's were running unrestricted. It wasn't until they started finding success on the track that they were burdened with restrictors. No suprise as that is how it is done in racing. Some win, some lose in the process of creating parody between marquees.

Exactly...There are reasons why the Vipers look so uncompetative. To the average person that means the car ***** and cant compete. Most people dont look beyond the footage to the rules themselves. The race organizations want competition as it makes things exiting for the fans. Even got some in this thread saying the CC would lose to the RSR's just based on a race series.

After thinking about it it would be hard pressed for an ACR to beat an RSR around a track unless it lost alot of weight for one. I guess I answered my own question.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No jealousy here about "your" claim to be 7/10 the driver Tommy Archer is. I fail to see how 13 sec/slower a lap than the ACR-X driver 7/10ths the talent of Tommy. Ask CCBrian about my track experience. I get around the track just fine. HPDE vs. TT. Neither group is wheel to wheel racing. So as a TT driver you set your car up to run one "magical fast" lap. So you are running against the clock, same as an HPDE driver.
Not knocking HPDE as everyone has to start somewhere.

Redsled can drive...ask him if he has raced in World Challenge before...the answer is on his Vipers windshield. To even show up to that series you will beat 100% of track day warriors and 99% of all lower race class drivers. Guys, on any given day any car in a series can win. If the CC were allowed to race unrestricted-they would win a lot more. They are fast. The ACR-X is fast too-just not as fast as a CC when run unrestricted. There are also a lot of GT-1 Vipers that are a lot faster. And the RSR Porshces-they cost $450K, are probably even faster. Don't confuse those with a Porsche "Cup" car...I have never lost to one in a race when my car was unrestricted...at least not against the drivers I have run against.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are plenty of 'lower class' drivers who just don't have the money or a ride to compete in W.C. racing, but are plenty fast. They are 'track day warriors' and I enjoy their company and the competition on the track.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are plenty of 'lower class' drivers who just don't have the money or a ride to compete in W.C. racing, but are plenty fast. They are 'track day warriors' and I enjoy their company and the competition on the track.

I didn't say "lower class", I said lower race class drivers-ie. SCCA Regional vs National vs Pro Racing. Same levels in NASA etc. You have to work your way up the ladder with experience and speed. Kind of like high school football and NFL-worlds apart. All racing is fun, and a lot of "lower race class" drivers are fast. But if you have ever run with the pros-you will understand why they are pros and we aren't. I have raced with many of the WC and Grand Am drivers-and the top ones are worlds apart from SCCA regional guys. Driving a fast lap is far different from driving a 50 minute or more race with door to door action. One "off" and your weekend is done. I am sure most amatures could be faster with better cars, crews, and most importantly-seat time. But most of us cannot make the time and financial commitment it would take to ever get to that level. It can be humbling to go race with these Pros.

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, Redsled and Brian, I get where you are coming from. I was just going about 7/10 of what I percieved the car to be capable of, to work on my line as Tommy recommended (I was getting instruction from him). After a day of practice, I was actually running the same lap times as Tommy demonstrated for me, but I never said he ran my car 10/10th. Neither of us ever had a chance to really squeeze the speed out of it. I know my car could not compete with the ACR-X even with Tommy at the wheel, however, as it doesn't have cage, racing springs, adjustable sways, brake ducts (overheating was an issue there), Michelin radials, .80 5th gear, better aero, not to mention several hundred pounds heavier.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a vid of a GT3 Cup v CC,...the CC is Jim Stout (his fast lap was a 2:14).
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsijs-lvQyI[/media]

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow awsome driving!!!!

I think that's my favorite video yet:)

Great video. And once again, taking nothing from the Porsche Cup car or this driver, a CC is very fast unrestricted, and even faster in WC trim-and this video shows what they are capable of with a really good driver. Watching World Challenge really doesn't show what they are capable of when run as they are built.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even the ACR-X with Kuno driving is 6-7 seconds a lap slower with almost 50% more hp on a hp track than the GT2 cars. There is no comparing ACR-X to a GT2 class CC or RSR. Race Cars are limited because anyone can strap 800-900 hp and a bunch of DF on a car and go fast. Racing is about handling (and safety). Having GT cars going 220 mph on the back straights with 800 hp days are lone gone and will not come back, yet the cars are still faster now than they were then. Because it doesn't take a ton of hp to go fast. The GT2 CC isn't competitive because it's a privateer going against factory supported teams, the funds that go into development are on two different levels. Has little to do with the platform. Superior platforms do not need tons of hp, that is a crutch.

If you want a CC to race in ALMS and Lemans with 600 hp, it would be in GT1 with tube frame and near tube frame cars and getting manhandled because those aren't really developed from street cars. On second thought, the CC may be a good candidate for the new GT1 rules which require more street like cars, but there isn't a GT1 class in ALMS.