ACR rear tire leak

ACRsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi, i am having a problem with the rear tire not holding pressure , there is no nails/holes in it. Its leaking on the contact area with the wheel on the inside, if i over inflate to 40 psi it holds for a day or two . it started leaking slightly from the start , then we took the tire off to check it and since i put it back its leaking even more . Its on a 1100 mile 09 ACR .

Do you have any experience with such a problem before ?Is it a defective wheel or tire - both look ok to me ?

I really appreciate your help.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe the seal on the bead is bad. air up the tire...in a spray bottle mix water & soap..spray along lip of wheel where tire meets....if air leak will bubble....now remember you might have to remoe wheel to get to the inner bead/seal

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you're spraying soapy water around be sure to spray the valve stem - it's often a source for leaks. Spray the valve itself and where the stem fits onto the rim.

One more thing - when you spray the valve stem apply a little pressure to the valve stem towards the outside of the tire - basically try to simulate centrifugal force on the valve stem.

More than once I've seen valve stems not leak when the car is stopped but they leak once the car is moving - especially if the car is moving quickly and centrifugal force is applied to the valve stem.

Weird but true.

Good luck with your fix.

BTW, I was in Cairo last year - what a great city!
Greg

OP
OP
A

ACRsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the suggestions

i already did the soap/water thing , and its leaking on the lip/tire seal . Will try rotating the tire on the wheel and see what happens .

Frank states there is a seal/bead inside , when i removed the tire to check i dont recall seeing any seals ??

:)

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the tire is inflated & comes in contact with the wheel lip that is the seal/bead.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would make a warranty claim for a new tire with Michelin, esp if you have driven at all on an underinflated tire. Do you know what heat rings look like? Anyway, I wouldn't take the chance. Also, a road force balancer should be able to tell you if the wheel is out of round, for instance if you came in contact with a pothole or curb. Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
OP
A

ACRsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the wheel is ok , the leak is from the tire bead not sealing .

Do you think a tire sealer could cure this ? any techniques for sealing the bead ? if i over inflate to 50 psi it holds pressure , when i lower to 30 is just leaks very fast - in a minute or 2 .

The tire bead and rim are clean .

i would appreciate any help . Thanks in advance guys/gals .

Sherif :)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think the only thing you can do is, unmount and remount the tire. getting a new seal on a different part of the bead.

Blackhawk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You really need to have the tire removed and checked. It is possible that the bead on the tire is ripped/torn which is very dangerous.

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just bought a new tire and wheel for the GTR which is a 20" run flat Potenza tire and the dealer used a sealant glue when mounting the tire. He said it keeps the high performance tires sealed preventing leaks because the recommended tire pressures on such sportcars are so low (29psi), they don't provide enough bead seal pressure, resulting in leaks. Hope that helps...

OP
OP
A

ACRsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its probably a bad tire . will try in a tommorow the tire sealnt stuff and see if it seals the tire bead .:confused:

OP
OP
A

ACRsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update

I bought a new tire , it was a defective tire .There is a part that is slightly out of round on the bead which leaked air .
Will try with michelin to get it replaced .

Thanks Jon B for the excellent service , you are an asset to the viper world .

Sherif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4