ACR / ZR1 at Race City

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well.... it finally happened - a ZR1 showed up at my local stomping ground.

Yesterday was an exotic day that we put on for a local dealer. He's a great guy and we always get a great display of the coolest cars.

One of the guys brought his Ferrari F430 but went home at lunch and switched cars and returned with his ZR1.

I pulled onto the track late in the day.... and there it was, in my rearview. To say I was motivated would be an understatement. Needless to say I just walked away from him. Whew....

In his defence it was his his first time in the ZR1 at the track but it'll sure be fun to see what happens later this year. He's an excellent driver, and the ZR1 is an excellent car, so I'll have to be on my best everytime I see him there. Needless to say I'll do my best to keep the Viper Pride!

Greg

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Way to go! The ACR is KING of the road/track. I'm sure you ACR owners will wear the crown well.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Job Greg,

I've always wondered how well the ZR1 holds up to repeated laps under race conditions and heat soak. Is the 638 hp still going to be there on lap 7 or more??

Anyway, we know you'll take care of him in future encounters.

Cheers,
George

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a roadcourse and it was an open lapping session - enter and exit the track at will. I pulled onto the track not knowing the ZR1 was out there. I glanced the rear view so I could fit myself into existing traffic before turn one... and there it was.

Anyway, it's tough to get a fair comparison because all drivers are at different skill levels and I think we have some of that here. I do know that the ZR1 is an awesome car and I know the driver is at least decent so I'm looking forward to him getting some more laps in the Vette. It won't be fair until he gets some laps in the car.

I'm not afraid to go head to head!

Good point about heat. I've seen several Ford GT's overheat at the track - especially if they've installed a smaller supercharger pully. I think the ZR1 never did more than 10 laps at a time and he had no overheating issues.

Greg

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well.... it finally happened - a ZR1 showed up at my local stomping ground.

Yesterday was an exotic day that we put on for a local dealer. He's a great guy and we always get a great display of the coolest cars.

One of the guys brought his Ferrari F430 but went home at lunch and switched cars and returned with his ZR1.

I pulled onto the track late in the day.... and there it was, in my rearview. To say I was motivated would be an understatement. Needless to say I just walked away from him. Whew....

In his defence it was his his first time in the ZR1 at the track but it'll sure be fun to see what happens later this year. He's an excellent driver, and the ZR1 is an excellent car, so I'll have to be on my best everytime I see him there. Needless to say I'll do my best to keep the Viper Pride!

Greg

Greg, you are too modest!! I had the privelege to ride with you on your home track. The most amazing ride I have ever had.:2tu::2tu: You hold the unofficial track record (or have the officials showed up to make it official yet?) so if someone gets ahead of you I would be amazed.
You can drive. :drive:

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'll do my best.

The good news is that the ACR already knows it's way around there.

Greg

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a great 2 days at the track this weekend too. My story isn't as good as Greg's but here it is anyway. I beat a very good driver in his regular SCCA race prepped Z06. That's nothing if I had been driving my '09ACR, but I wasn't. I was driving my new full race Spec Boxter that only has 200 hp. I got an arms up, hand clapping, thumbs up, standing ovation from 3 of the 6 corner worker stations. I plan to race the ACR too once he gets a litle more age on him. It was killing me to beat him up at the track 2 weekends a month. The plan is to race the Spec Boxter until I can win in that division then switch to the ACR as a full race car and buy a new ACR to be my daily driver. I hope you all wish me luck, that Boxter is very hard to drive fast! And of course I still drive the ACR on the track, just not every weekend anymore. I put him in a concourso in June and he won the 2000 and later class against a Ford GT, a Lambo, and Carrerra GT. So for now, I guess he's more beauty King than race car.

OP
OP
F

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Job!

Your reputation always increases when you can drive a slow car fast. If you drive a fast car everyone just says "Well jeez, he's driving an ACR - of course he's fast". If you kick their butt's while driving a Miata they have no excuse - your reputation is cemented as "awesome".

Keep up the good work and keep us informed of your race progress.

Greg

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great job guys on representing Viper in an impressive fashion.

And my hats off to the Canadians!:can1::2tu:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a great 2 days at the track this weekend too. My story isn't as good as Greg's but here it is anyway. I beat a very good driver in his regular SCCA race prepped Z06. That's nothing if I had been driving my '09ACR, but I wasn't. I was driving my new full race Spec Boxter that only has 200 hp. I got an arms up, hand clapping, thumbs up, standing ovation from 3 of the 6 corner worker stations. I plan to race the ACR too once he gets a litle more age on him. It was killing me to beat him up at the track 2 weekends a month. The plan is to race the Spec Boxter until I can win in that division then switch to the ACR as a full race car and buy a new ACR to be my daily driver. I hope you all wish me luck, that Boxter is very hard to drive fast! And of course I still drive the ACR on the track, just not every weekend anymore. I put him in a concourso in June and he won the 2000 and later class against a Ford GT, a Lambo, and Carrerra GT. So for now, I guess he's more beauty King than race car.

Congrats cheryl (and Greg). My only Z06 kill to date was a highway run. Starting in 2nd a couple lengths behind him so I had room to use both lanes until I got the tires hooked and passed him like he was standing still. Shifted into 3rd (at 96mph) and fishtailed away from him like he was standing still. No reason to keep going after that. Police car came around the corner a half mile farther down the road - no tickets. :)

Ted

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement guys! I love to race, I just wish I had more money to do it! I'll post pics of the Box once I get all his #'s and decals like I want them. It irritates the PCA drivers when I refer to the ACR as the king and the Box as the "******" when they ask what I'm driving next weekend.

RACR77

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It irritates the PCA drivers when I refer to the ACR as the king and the Box as the "******" when they ask what I'm driving next weekend.[/QUOTE]

Just telling it like it is :D

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Job!

Your reputation always increases when you can drive a slow car fast. If you drive a fast car everyone just says "Well jeez, he's driving an ACR - of course he's fast". If you kick their butt's while driving a Miata they have no excuse - your reputation is cemented as "awesome".

Keep up the good work and keep us informed of your race progress.

Greg
Very well said!!!!! And how well I know, as when I first started out instructors in track Miatas were keeping up with my old GTS.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookviper