adding differential drain plug

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I soon will take out my differential to add a drain plug, but I have some questions.

1. What size do you drill and tap the hole?

2. Do you use a Time-Sert to line the hole with steel so that it will not wear out?

3. If using a Time-Sert will you get a galvanic reaction between the steel and the aluminum? They have both steel and stainless inserts.

4. Where do you find a drain plug that has a magnetic core?

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerry,

There was a thread going on this same subject a few days ago. I think someone posted a part number too. I guess the tap hole is subject to which plug you get. Inserting a steel sleeve will definitely cause a battery effect unless there is some sort of coating. Stainless won't react as fast, but it will eventually.(can't remember which section the thread was in)

OP
OP
J

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Joe - It is very difficult to get all of the fluid and metal particles out with a vacuum pump. You will find that the gears are very close to the fill hole and that you will need a flexible rubber hose. That's a good idea regarding matching the fill plug and I will look into it. I am also concerned that an added plug might cancel the warranty if you had to send it back to Dodge.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been considering changing the differential fluid in 99 ACR. Why not just **** it out through the fill hole? Less residual? I'm not sure installing a drain plug is worth the effort. Also as far as which metal drain plug to use, I would match that of the fill plug.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine