AEM EMS & Emissions testing.

acrdakota

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard many contradicting stories and would like to hear from the guys who know for sure. Does the AEM standalone work with the factory OBD-II system which allows it to pass emissions testing? I'm not concerned with the sniffer stuff, but the plug in code testing, vin/mileage reading, and so forth.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mark Red GTS Cooper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, The AEM is not ODB compliant. When you put the AEM in it take ALL ODB functionality out of the Viper.

You will loose all Code, vin and so on. I have one on my 2k GTS.

Mark

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark is correct.

So we need one of our Computer Guru VCA members to create something that can Fool the system. :2tu:

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its very easy to just unplug the aem unit and put the factory unit back in. Takes maybe 20 minutes for the job, and you are back with stock programing.

OP
OP
A

acrdakota

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its very easy to just unplug the aem unit and put the factory unit back in. Takes maybe 20 minutes for the job, and you are back with stock programing.

This is true, but depending on the engine setup/cams etc. you may get misfire codes on the stock pcm which will not let is pass the OBD plug in.

I'm still trying to figure out how all these freakin ricers get by it but we can't.

Mark Red GTS Cooper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will not work (Just plug in a stock unit), the AEM has it own 02's, for Super Chargers and Turbos, it needs a different MAP,, so, it is not a easy plug and play.

Depending on your set up, you may have to swap out injectors also, anything over stock will not work with the ODB unit, way to rich.

Mark

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We can do EXACTLY what your asking for, 2 years ago but with MOTEC.

We're confident we could do it with the AEM, but someone would have to work with us on the R&D

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AEM is a full replacement ECU, not a piggyback. However, I am unfamiliar with emissions testing/inspection proceedure. They read the VIN and codes from the ECU via the ASDL plug? Strange...for what purpose?

vprtech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AEM is a full replacement ECU, not a piggyback. However, I am unfamiliar with emissions testing/inspection proceedure. They read the VIN and codes from the ECU via the ASDL plug? Strange...for what purpose?

Here in So. Cal. we have OBD testing durring the smog check . There are several built in C.A.R.B. tests that the factory ecu performs . Some of these are intrusive test , where the ecu changes certain running conditions to test specific components such as the catalytic converters . When you go in for a smog check , the smog check tech will plug in to the obd2 connector to see how many of the tests you have passed . As of now , if you pass two and none have failed , you get through the smog check . Early obd2 vipers have three obd tests , and the newer ones with the LDP system have five . I don't believe they care about the vin # .

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would it be ((theoretically)) possible to pass a California smog without plugging the OE VIPER with stock VIN OBD computer into the smog machine?

Last I heard (could be false) the DMV actually received VIN data from the smog stations computer so that you can't just pay the guy some $$$green & have him hook up a honda accord & say its your viper.

can anyone who knows the CA smog tests confirm the smog station sends real time VIN data to the dmv?

I'm all for clean air & having high flow cats on. that's for sure. i just don't like the government telling me what is considered "clean".

imo, you should be able to mod w.e you want as long as the sniffer smells nothing..

I know if I came in with a fat TT setup & modified fuel system & computer, even though I am sniffed "clean" they wont pass the car based on visual cues. bogus.

that's why i ask.

2001ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a search and found this thread. Has anyone come up with a way to get a Viper with an AEM to pass emissions? In my area they do emissions testing by plugging into the OBD2. If anyone has any info on this please let me know, thanks!

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No, The AEM is not ODB compliant. When you put the AEM in it take ALL ODB functionality out of the Viper.

You will loose all Code, vin and so on. I have one on my 2k GTS.

Mark
It is OBD meaning On Board Diagnostic. Not ODB meaning Old Dirty Bastard from the Wu Tang Clan. Sorry couldn't resist.

ViperBran

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In New York, the Inspection Computer in the Station plugs directly into the cars computer under the dashboard and sends information directly to the New York DMV.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I have heard the following from reliable sources:

1 - AEM in car won't pass emissions in CA.
2 - Plugging into under dash receptacle connects you to the AEM, not stock computer.
3 - AEM is a piggyback set up in Gen III's.
4 - Check engine light is always on.
5 - Smog checks are not on line and done in real time.

I too wish the sniffer was used without the visual. If the car is clean, it really shouldn't matter how it is set up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave