After market exhausts and Laguna Seca sound Limits

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed a CORSA 3 inch system on my 99 GTS and am considering driving to Laguna Seca for a track day. I have heard that some (Borla specifically) after market Viper exhausts are too loud at Laguna Seca. I believe the normal sound limit on track days is 90 DB, however may be raised to 92 DB.

If anyone has experience running their Viper at Laguna Seca, please let me know about your experiences with the noise regulations.

Thx, Jim

Reaction score
Laguna Seca was 92 db for open track days. I think it now is 90db. My 97 GTS with Edelbrock headers and Borla Cat back was over 92 db. I had 3:54 gears (First mistake, stock gears are great) and would be at about 5500rpm at the sound meter in 3rd which was over 92 db. To get around the limit I took turn 5 (sound is measured between turn 5 an 6 going up hill) in 4th and was able to keep under 92. Corsa may produce lower db numbers. Also had K&N filters which also produce nose at full bore.

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no substitute for Laguna Seca! It is a great track and a must for all of you track guys.

I have a 2000 Cream puff with 3:54 gears, flywheel and TNT cat-back exhaust. Running past the sound meter booth topping 3rd gear and into 4th my car registered at 92db. That was OK for that club event. I think Fred is correct. Some track days are 90db and some are 92. The best trick is to just short shift and under-rev the motor by the sound booth. There is always talk about a wondering sound meter traveling around the track for those who lift past the sound booth. I have never actually seen that or had problems at other areas on the track.

Enjoy!!!!

OP
OP
J

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran Laguna Seca last February in my Z28 during a Tracquest event. It was a well run 2 day event, and they will be doing the same thing on February 7th and 8th 2002.

I'm thinking of going in my Viper this time. Anybody else interested? I just checked the Tracquest web site and the sound limit is 92 db

Jim

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you run with SCCA the sound limit is 103 or 105 depending of the class.
But for that you need a "REAL" competition licence,and it is racing,not open-track.
Luc.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog