Aftermarket Intake Questions

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently bought my first Viper - a '99 RT/10. Every Viper enthusiast who has peered under the hood has made the same comment about upgrading to smooth intake tubes and K&N filters.

I've searched some of the popular aftermarket sites and found a few. They vary greatly in price and don't look all that much different. I guess my question is what will a $660 intake do that a $400 one won't. They look about the same. I even found a carbon fiber one for over $800.

Before I post the pics, I've also heard that a metal airbox and metal tubes can draw in more heat than something made out of c/f, plastic or silicone. Makes sense, as metal is a good conductor of heat, especially in a hot engine compartment. Heat is not what I want for intake air.

Also, I've heard about the Vipair that deflects cold air toward the airbox. Since I haven't seen one except in a pic I was wondering if it blocks any air from getting to the radiator. It has to deflect air from somewhere in front of the engine.

Anyway, here is a pic of a $399 intake kit and a $659.95 one. Unless I'm missing something I don't see the reason the second one costs over $250 more.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

2001ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with the intake from PBJ (Performance By Joe). In my opinion his was the best quality and they can powdercoat the smooth tubes and airbox any color you want. Give Joe a call, he will be able to give you more details... 314-781-3135.

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The K@N airbox is great. It helps seal out hot air from the motor. BUT: The intake tubes ****. They have an S-bend in the pipe and the diameter of the pipe is smaller than stock! Youy won't gain much HP without modifying the pipes. I modified/ replaced the plastic S pipes with larger diameter chrome ones with less bends ad modified the airbox/filters. Works great. Tim

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really inexpensive ones available HERE

The engine heat issue seems to be present when standing still or in slow moving traffic. At high speeds, air is moving and I frankly couldn't tell the difference between smooth tubes with flat filters and the cone filter assembly.

Of course 10-15 HP is not really noticeable anyway with over 450HP on tap to begin with.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The K&N Fipke airbox sux. The tubes are less than 2.5" so it's more restrictive. Look at the difference in tube straightness between the FIPKe and PBJ airbox. This airbox has the 3" diameter tubes.
532CIMG0934.JPG

And BTW the PBJ airbox also incorporates the feature of the Vipair.

OP
OP
R

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I saw one of the PBJ airboxes at a recent Viper pool party in west county. It was painted yellow to match the exterior and other engine accents and the whole package looked nice.

Anyway, I just ordered a PBJ intake with the optional Vipair style deflector and a catch can. It will be krinkle red powder coated with red tubes and black silicone connectors. Joe says it should be ready in 5-7 days. I just need to drive over there and he will install everything then.

I couldn't believe he actually answered the phone himself, as busy as he is. Sounds like a great guy who really knows his performance stuff. When I mentioned that I just bought my car and live in the same area as his shop he started listing lots of stuff I can do to make it run better. For now, I think the intake will be enough for my checking account.

apun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the $660 one the PBJ airbox? If not, how much is the PBJ airbox?

Thanks,
Alex

OP
OP
R

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
how much is the PBJ airbox?

The PBJ airbox varies in price, depending on whether you want it painted, powdercoated or left natural. Also, the Vipair style deflector is an option and specific braze-ons on the intake tubes can be added.

Mine is going to be $800, which includes installation. I figure if something isn't quite perfect it'll be their job to get it that way.

Now I just have to see if I can drive into the city limits and back without getting stopped by any local police. I think I still have a 20 year old parking ticket outstanding. Ever see how a granny drives a Viper? :D

You can call PBJ, discuss what all you want for an airbox and they'll quote you an exact price.

Here's their website: Performance By Joe

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe actually answered the phone? Maybe I should try calling him again. After leaving 2 messages with his "helper" and never receiving a return call maybe he went back to a one man show.

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have the PBJ airbox, smooth tubes and catch can. The quality on all products is top notch.

Another advantage to the PBJ airbox that you will probably not find with any other airbox is that it relocates the air temp sensor to the middle of the airbox, directly behind the NACA duct. (Look closely at GTSNAKE's picture)

The air temp sensor plays a big part in fuel delivery. When it starts getting too hot, it sends the ECU into a sort of "safe mode" and starts adding additional fuel, causing the car to run rich and lose power. By relocating the sensor the middle of the box, it is constantly being cooled by outside air and maintains a more consistent air/fuel ratio pull after pull.

VERY well worth the extra couple of bucks to have a high quality, well designed airbox that delivers more consistent performance time after time.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
where is the stock air intake sensor located?

You mean the intake air temp sensor? It's that little black ****** smack in the middle of the rear box wall.

SSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give Joe time. He is a 1 man act that will make you feel like he is your private pitman. He definitely proved to me that perfection is a disease. If anyone would like I have complete custom pkg he did for me, if ya can post my pics,shout....

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Problem is that none of those will pick up power from the stock airbox, and almost definatly loose a considerable amount.

You may want to do some dyno testing before you claim power gains, rather than power losses.

Z06reformed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently bought my first Viper - a '99 RT/10. Every Viper enthusiast who has peered under the hood has made the same comment about upgrading to smooth intake tubes and K&N filters.

I have a 99RT10 as well.But when I talked to anyone (performance parts sellers/K&N website)they say the only way to go with K&N (that year)is filters.The FIPK is not made for the 99?Is someone wrong or does it have to be modified?I dont know why it would be different.Help me out,I dont know that much about the Mopars yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32