Ahtifreeze on garage floor?

troyrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday I was driving home and I got stuck in some bumper to bumper traffic. My car runs hot in the summer time uasually around 240F in the summer. It never touches the red zone but can be in the yellow(on the thermometer) during traffic. Yesterday was the same thing but, I was in traffic for about 1 hour instead of the usual 20-30 minute traffic I normally encounter. And it was HOT here in San Antonio-102!
Anyways, I pulled the car into the garage and went inside my house. I came back about 15 minutes later and there was some antifreeze under the front bumper. Maybe 3 or 4oz. So I check the level of antifreeze. It's a little low so I add about 16oz. 2 hours later I take the car out for a drive. It's about 90F and it runs about 220F which is normal. I drove the car about 30 miles. I parked it and checked periodically to see if it was leaking. Nothing! Do I need to worry???
Some more info-I flush the Radiator every summer-Yestreday was Hot(I could hear the water boiling in the engine.
Any help would be appreciated!

Phil Lee 94 red RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's coming from your overflow tank behind the front bumper. It's either too full or empty because it's leaking. Check your fluid level sight gauge located at lower front inner fender.

OP
OP
T

troyrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats exactly what I just did. Filled it up. It was empty. Is it ok now? Why did it leak? Is it serious?

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd make absolutely sure you have burped the system completely. If there is any air in the system it will cause an overflow.

OP
OP
T

troyrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you burp it. Is it a valve on the top of the engine? If so where?
Thanks for all the imput!

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TroyRT10, Are you 100% sure the overflow tank in the front facia was empty? Not the surrogate tank with the radiator cap on it. Did you remove the tube going to it and blow into it to hear bubbles? Many confuse this with being empty because it is so darn hard to see the level even if you remove the donut in front of the wheel and shine a light in. This is easier if you do it in the dark.

Is your facia tank empty? If it is, it probably has a hole in the bottom of it from the screw below it. If you filled it up it should just leak again if this is true.

Is your facia tank full? There are many issues. One is that you haven't burped it, you have air in the system, and it pushes fluid out when the car is hot, out of the facia tank. Another is that the rubber to metal to rubber to metal to rubber fittings between the radiator tank and facia tank are leaking and drawing air in the system during cool down. A third is the radiator cap itself which is very common with gen1's. Do not replace with gen1 OEM cap, replace with 2001 cap which has a spring center. You'll want to search on this.

OP
OP
T

troyrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I am sure the tank was empty. Looked through the hole with a flashlight and was able to see it clearly. Took the hose off the radiator ****** and filled the tank through the hose. After that there was no leaking and even after I drove the car for about thirty miles it didn't leak at all. But I am going to burp it today.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't it unusual to be that hot? I know it's Texas heat, but riding around it's 220 and up to 240?

OP
OP
T

troyrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 1's run hot. Between 220-240 is normal. But fall through spring my car runs around 200. Just in the summer does it run 240ish. Gen 2's run cooler.

Robert1994

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish I could get me gen 1 to run that hot ! I replaced the radiator earlier
this year and now it runs about 180-185. It may sound strange, but we do get some cold and wet nights here, and it would be nice to enjoy the heater once
in a while. It was running up in the normal range with the original radiator.
The new unit is an OEM Chyrsler, nothing super duty.
I don't think my cooling fans have even come on since I swapped the radiators !

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, same procedure for 2001. It even helps more if you jack up front passenger wheel. It gets the tank with radiator cap to be the highest point in the system.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Troy, I'm repeating the advice but do the burping - if you can hear water boiling in the block, you probably have air in the system.