Air filter upgrade?

jbrasco70

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looking into upgrading to dual cone filters,did a search and found out that some can actually hurt hp gains due to the heat it is introduced to.K7n makes a kit wich includes a seperator,if you guy's can help on a manufacturer of a quality upgrade please peost a link..thank you:D

OP
OP
J

jbrasco70

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, but I dont even have an upgraded air filter system . Im leaning towards the k&n system wich has a divider .Just wanted to know my options for a 95 rt/10 and wich is most recommended ,there are a few systems out there I believe,Thanx in advance.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He said it was a 95. You could just go with the standard tubes and K&N filters(or Green S&B's). That is your best bet unless you want a custom airbox($700-$1200).

OP
OP
J

jbrasco70

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ok, who are the custom air box manufacturers? I seen one on elite vipers web site but I don't think the one shown was for a gen 1..

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have the same year. i was thinking of doing smooth tubes and correct me if im wrong but i can get K&N filters that fit the same air intake, correct? does that set up improve hp? by how much? about how much does that upgrade cost (ballpark)?

if i go with cone filters, how much better are they?

thx
jay

He said it was a 95. You could just go with the standard tubes and K&N filters(or Green S&B's). That is your best bet unless you want a custom airbox($700-$1200).

OP
OP
J

jbrasco70

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well from what ive been reading is that if it doesn't have a divider it wil decrease hp due to the hot air intro'd to the cone filters , I beleive if u get an upgrade.. it has to have the didvider to isolate the cone filters from the hot air from the fan or underhood. What i'm trying to find out is the options of manufacturers are out there to pick from.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is one done by PBJ (Joe Donovan). Much better than the cone types that just bend down behind the radiator and pick up hot air.

You must be registered for see images

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same box. JMB website says it was developed in conjunction with PBJ. I think PBJ actually developed the box and JMB resells it, but I could be wrong on that.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a custom airbox and K&N cone filters. Painted in body color it looks awesome.

You must be registered for see images

My 98 GTS had K&N's with a modified airbox. The top of the stock airbox was cut out and replaced with a flat piece of aluminium, removing the "rain baffle" for increased airflow.

I wouldn't worry too much, it's not a lot of hp so go with whatever suits your needs. Although I have the most expensive piece, I'm not sure it's really worth all that extra money for just a few hp. It may be worth the money because it looks good?

Ted

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang