Air Suspension

cigar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been driving my RT/10 for over a week now, the car has been lowered 2" with Koni non-adjustable shocks, I am exploring raising it back up with adjustable shocks, while looking at the various brands of coil-over assemblies I read about air suspension. My ride is so harsh it feels like it's bottoming out, but researching this forum I don't see anyone using air, is that because no manufacturer makes a kit for Vipers? The linked website claims that the air suspension cars outperform cars with coil-over suspension. The advantages seem conclusive, what am I missing?

Air Lift Performance said:
Slam it down for an aggressive show stance that is lower than any coilover.

Raise it up to clear road obstacles like speed bumps or steep angle transitions.

Enhance your ride quality for comfort using damping and air pressure adjustments.

Create a track-ready set-up with stiff damping, progressive-rate air springs and, in many cases, adjustable camber.
¹

What am I missing? It seems like air is the best of all worlds, lower it down for performance, just raise it up to clear driveways, curbs, etc., plus a softer ride for an old couple. I've even got stock air bags in the rear of my Hummer.

¹ http://www.airliftperformance.com/about/new-to-air/

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And then once its done you can enter your viper into the low rider contest. Do not forget about the remote which would allow you to make your viper do jumps and slump left and right……Seriously Cigar find someone selling stock suspension or spent a few $$$ for quality aftermarket coil overs. I am not sure what brand or what type of coil overs they used in the PROMO video. PLease do not butcher the viper.

Last edited:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not read on the forums of anyone doing air ride suspension. Many people do want to lower the car and have issues with challenging driveways; but, I don't remember any going with an air ride suspension. There is a lot of engineering that goes into suspension design with regards to ride and handling. Even the dampers that are currently available vary a lot in their performance. My guess is that there has been zero engineering or at least tuning and experimentation with the air ride system you are considering as relates to a Viper's dynamic properties. You would be the one doing the engineering and tuning (if these can even be tuned). For example, the Dodge engineers switched out the dampers and springs on the ACR in the 2000 MY. They got the spring rate wrong. They theoretically were experienced. Where does that leave you in trying a totally new product to the Viper?

OP
OP
C

cigar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, I'm in the process of researching the best adjustable set up, I find that the 2" lowering presents a problem with street driving, the idea of keeping the car where it is and raising it back up then needed to increase clearance is appealing, rather than setting the car at a factory specs then taking it to the shop to adjust the car lower if I ever track the car, I understand the problems associated with low riders.

In the site I linked the their approach does appear professional, but there must be a problem with it or some guys here would be using it, maybe it's that they don't make a kit for Vipers? If I do install coil-over adjustable shocks chances are the car will never be lowered down again. As a retired builder I am well-aware of the problem potential when using new products, in fact my rule of thumb has been to never use a new product until it's been on the market for 10 years since experience shows that 90% of new construction products fail and are withdrawn from the market within 10 years.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen a one or two with air suspension. Never got a chance to speak to owners though about how it rode.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang